Donald J Trump-45th POTUS

I think you could say a lot of rural folks "feel" ignored. That might be accurate. But why? Well, easy. Simply demographics. Campaigns and constituancies are focused on in more densly populated areas. it's just a result of how things are. it's not some conspiracy to ignore rural ppl. And them feeling ignored isnt some part of a bigger conspiracy. It's just how it is. So last night, yeah, it's ok to acknowledge that many may feel like they were finally heard again. it's been over a decade.

Now if everyone is calmed down, i'm curious from the non-trump folks what they thought if his speech last night/this morning.

I thought it was pretty good and as someone who had some reservations myself, was a demeanor and wording i was glad to hear. The only thing i saw wrong with it was he almost forgot to recognize Pence in any way and squeezed him in in the end, which was awkward to me cuz among other things in this close race, Pence's name on the ticket may have been the biggest factor in getting him over the top. Just curious.

I went to bed and didn't listen. I heard bits and pieces this morning of him basically saying he wants to be everyone's President and bring the country together.

Great. That's what he should say. His actions and words over the next few years mean way more than a speech on the night of victory.

I'm pretty sure Obama said the same thing the night he won his first term. How did that work out?

Now dont be that way.

What i'm trying to get at is even i was nervous of how he might act. Would he gloat? Would he brag? Would he continue to rag on Clinton? How would he act now that he had won and really didnt have anything to worry about. I thought this first public appearance as Pres-elect was pretty good, but i'm biased and hopeful. So im asking for opinions.

How did it work for Obama? What does that mean? I have no problems with Obama. i dont think he's bad. but I dont think he's the greatest either.

Maybe "ignored" is a bad word. And, maybe I am in the minority. But, there has been a growing arrogance in politics with urban people looking down their noses at rural areas of the country. And, maybe I feel it more because I have family who live in larger cities that CLEARLY have that attitude. It's an attitude that puts off this aura that they are so much more educated and worldly.

Just look at how many politicians act/dress/talk when addressing a rural crowd compared to an urban crowd.

This makes no sense to me. You have jobs, food, a house, cars, clothes, nobody is impinging on any of your freedoms... but you're mad because people "look down their noses" at you?

I know country folks, lived in the country half my life & spend a LOT of time with them now. That feeling of "I'm better than you" is mutual. Country folks don't respect urban folks. They tell jokes about them and talk down about them. That lack of respect is a two-way street and always has been.

The problem is that no harm comes to you as a result of their attitude, why rail against it?

• Fire 2

I think you could say a lot of rural folks "feel" ignored. That might be accurate. But why? Well, easy. Simply demographics. Campaigns and constituancies are focused on in more densly populated areas. it's just a result of how things are. it's not some conspiracy to ignore rural ppl. And them feeling ignored isnt some part of a bigger conspiracy. It's just how it is. So last night, yeah, it's ok to acknowledge that many may feel like they were finally heard again. it's been over a decade.

What harm has come to you from this perception of being "ignored?" And how does electing Donald Trump president fix that?

Now if everyone is calmed down, i'm curious from the non-trump folks what they thought if his speech last night/this morning.

I thought it was pretty good and as someone who had some reservations myself, was a demeanor and wording i was glad to hear. The only thing i saw wrong with it was he almost forgot to recognize Pence in any way and squeezed him in in the end, which was awkward to me cuz among other things in this close race, Pence's name on the ticket may have been the biggest factor in getting him over the top. Just curious.

I went to bed and didn't listen. I heard bits and pieces this morning of him basically saying he wants to be everyone's President and bring the country together.

Great. That's what he should say. His actions and words over the next few years mean way more than a speech on the night of victory.

I'm pretty sure Obama said the same thing the night he won his first term. How did that work out?

Now dont be that way.

What i'm trying to get at is even i was nervous of how he might act. Would he gloat? Would he brag? Would he continue to rag on Clinton? How would he act now that he had won and really didnt have anything to worry about. I thought this first public appearance as Pres-elect was pretty good, but i'm biased and hopeful. So im asking for opinions.

How did it work for Obama? What does that mean? I have no problems with Obama. i dont think he's bad. but I dont think he's the greatest either.

Pardon me. I didn't mean for my post to be snarky.

I simply was saying that the tidbits I heard, it sounded like the typical victory speech where the winner is going to pull America together and do great things.

My only comment is that what he actually does in office is way more important than a speech last night when most of America had already gone to bed.

This election showed rural america can still be a force in an election. She won almost all major urban centers, but the rural vote in many states was still strong enough to carry Trump. The people she and her party have ignored and abused struck back, but i doubt the democrats will learn from this and adjust their platform.

This was something that totally amazed me last night. And, being from a rural area in a rural state, I was happy to see we can be a force again. For way too long, the Democrats (and to a lesser extent Republicans) have ignored middle America and the rural population. What absolutely shocks me is it took a billionaire living in a penthouse in Manhattan to do that.

At least we have finally heard the last of the Clintons; and we have a pretty good looking immigrant first lady (oh, the irony)

Everyone should be rejoicing about the bolded.

And also the Bushes. That strange Clinton/Bush 'bedfellows' can be tucked away for a long time in a bed of their own making. Sorry Jeb, time has passed you buy.

Maybe "ignored" is a bad word. And, maybe I am in the minority. But, there has been a growing arrogance in politics with urban people looking down their noses at rural areas of the country. And, maybe I feel it more because I have family who live in larger cities that CLEARLY have that attitude. It's an attitude that puts off this aura that they are so much more educated and worldly.

Just look at how many politicians act/dress/talk when addressing a rural crowd compared to an urban crowd.

This makes no sense to me. You have jobs, food, a house, cars, clothes, nobody is impinging on any of your freedoms... but you're mad because people "look down their noses" at you?

I know country folks, lived in the country half my life & spend a LOT of time with them now. That feeling of "I'm better than you" is mutual. Country folks don't respect urban folks. They tell jokes about them and talk down about them. That lack of respect is a two-way street and always has been.

The problem is that no harm comes to you as a result of their attitude, why rail against it?

Hmmm....OK....not sure why you are being snarly with me.

A comment was made about how interesting it was that she won almost all urban areas and for once rural America stood up and won the election for a candidate. I simply responded to that. Then someone asked why rural America feels ignored and I responded to that as "ignored" might be the wrong word.

Just having a conversation. No need to get all up tight about it.

• Fire 1

I think it was his best speech and if truly believed and acted out could set the proper tone going forward. He has a big opportunity to break the partisan divide if he plays it correctly.

A comment was made about how interesting it was that she won almost all urban areas and for once rural America stood up and won the election for a candidate. I simply responded to that. Then someone asked why rural America feels ignored and I responded to that as "ignored" might be the wrong word.

I'm having a conversation. I laid out the facts and asked for a response. I don't know why you took that to be snarky.

Could you explain, in light of the relatively stable & wealthy reality of rural life, why they feel "ignored" and how they feel electing Trump will fix that?

Do you disagree that rural folks speak down about urban folks? I can tell you a joke off the top of my head if you like.

I'm having a conversation. I laid out the facts and asked for a response. I don't know why you took that to be snarky.

Could you explain, in light of the relatively stable & wealthy reality of rural life, why they feel "ignored" and how they feel electing Trump will fix that?

Do you disagree that rural folks speak down about urban folks? I can tell you a joke off the top of my head if you like.

Yooohooo....remember me???? I'm the one that despised Trump. I have no clue why people think he is so great for rural America.

What harm has come to you from this perception of being "ignored?" And how does electing Donald Trump president fix that?

me? I'm not a rural person. I dont feel ignored. All I said is in regards to the original comment that was "they are ignored" and correcting to "the may feel ignored" because of demographic circumstances. Why doesnt anyone ever hold a campiagn rally in Cherry Co. Nebraska?

that's my whole point. You still need to just calm it down a tad.

• Fire 1

It embarrasses me that 58,869,434 people in this country voted for a woman who clearly broke the law, set up pay for play schemes to enrich herself using her position as SOS, and was arms running in Libya to jihadists.

I understand the hate on the part of a lot of people regarding Trump. I really do. But for crime's sake there were others on the ballot to vote for besides a criminal.

This is a sad testament to the sorry educational system in this country. And the moral corruption.

It embarrasses me that 58,869,434 people in this country voted for a woman who clearly broke the law, set up pay for play schemes to enrich herself using her position as SOS, and was arms running in Libya to jihadists.

I understand the hate on the part of a lot of people regarding Trump. I really do. But for crime's sake there were others on the ballot to vote for besides a criminal.

This is a sad testament to the sorry educational system in this country. And the moral corruption.

There was just as much "never Trump" voting for Hillary as there was voting for Trump because of the things you spelled out. Both were very justified. One had to win and it happened to be Trump by the skin of his teeth. Heck....he's not even winning the popular vote and I thought I heard somewhere that the voter turnout yesterday was a 20+ year low.

That speaks volumes to the quality of either candidate.

So...it's time to move on. Trump is our candidate and one side will never understand the voting logic of the other side.

So...the wall. Brick or metal? :lol:

The wall will be Obama's promise on Guantanamo.

Ha ha! yeah, and half the campaign promises of the past 200 years. Politicians. /shakes head

The Wall won't happen and while I'm glad Trump won I hope it doesn't. It would be tremendous waste of money for something that can be fixed a lot easier(Yes, it needs to be fixed. I am an immigrant's son but exploiting labor to drive down American working class wages only helps the rich and hurts the workers)