Trump's cabinet

Well, Trump threw Tillerson under the bus regarding talking to NK. Doesn't surprise me that others have a different message. Trump is a Mass Weapon of Confusion.  He hires cabinet members to do their job and then he cuts them down for doing so.  Of course this may be good in the long run - maybe the cabinet members will start comparing notes and eventually

Article 4 of Amendment 25 will pop into their collective heads.

Tillerson got something right - calling Trump a moron.  I don't expect to see him around much longer. Esp after Trump threw him

under the bus this pass weekend - saying it was a waste of time for Rex to talk to NK - after Rex said back channels are open

for discussion.   Trump is a know it all but moron is a better term.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/tillerson-s-fury-trump-required-intervention-pence-n806451

WASHINGTON — Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was on the verge of resigning this past summer amid mounting policy disputes and clashes with the White House, according to multiple senior administration officials who were aware of the situation at the time.

The tensions came to a head around the time President Donald Trump delivered a politicized speech in late July to the Boy Scouts of America, an organization Tillerson once led, the officials said.

Just days earlier, Tillerson had openly disparaged the president, referring to him as a “moron,” after a July 20 meeting at the Pentagon with members of Trump’s national security team and Cabinet officials, according to three officials familiar with the incident.

While it's unclear if he was aware of the incident, Vice President Mike Pence counseled Tillerson, who is fourth in line to the presidency, on ways to ease tensions with Trump, and other top administration officials urged him to remain in the job at least until the end of the year, officials said.

quote 2

Pence has since spoken to Tillerson about being respectful of the president in meetings and in public, urging that any disagreements be sorted out privately, a White House official said. The official said progress has since been made.

Yet the disputes have not abated. This weekend, tensions spilled out into the open once again when the president seemed to publicly chide Tillerson on his handling of the crisis with North Korea.

NBC News spoke with a dozen current and former senior administration officials for this article, as well as others who are close to the president.

Tillerson, who was in Texas for his son’s wedding in late July when Trump addressed the Boy Scouts, had threatened not to return to Washington, according to three people with direct knowledge of the threats. His discussions with retired Gen. John Kelly, who would soon be named Trump’s second chief of staff, and Defense Secretary James Mattis, helped initially to reassure him, four people with direct knowledge of the exchanges said.

32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's such a banana republic move to make your Secretary of State go on national television to declare to the cameras that you are "smart." 

This dog & pony show was intended for one person only, and solely so he could send this tweet afterwards:

So if I understand your post Knapp, Trump is refuting the NBC story I posted above.   I still think Tillerson will leave early next year - unless he is soulless.   I don't see how you can lead one of the world's largest corporations and then are comfortable to work for a moron (his words- which I agree wt).  These guys (cabinet members esp) have a duty to the nation first. If they are collectively being thrown under the bus one by one by Orange Ego Man, when will they collectively stand and say that he isn't fit to be commander in chief and chief administrator of this country? If this was a marriage, they'd have the right to divorce for emotional abuse.  As Dude says above, maybe they have collectively sold their souls for the high paying and ego stroking power jobs that they now have under Trump.   This is the most dysfunctional administration I have ever witnessed and I'm sure it will prove to be the most dysfunctional in our history.

This is useful for Tillerson, useful for Trump, useful for the media.

Everyone gets to pretend Tillerson is an upstanding man of character, which all the more enables him to continue in his role of serving the Trump administration and executing its will -- or, what he is already doing. I imagine a bit of theater like this is no skin off Trump's back; he's a media mogul after all, and born of reality TV where staged soap was the rule.

And the media can propagate the illusion of chaos, pacifying the opposition with some soothing fictions about how everyone is opposed to Trump. Tillerson's about as opposed to Trump as Paul Ryan orJerry Jones is, and that stands until he puts some real weight behind his tactically leaked opinions. Of course, would he ever really want to do that?

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

Nope. Tillerson just tucked his tail between his legs and trotted back to Trump like the pet dog he is.

It's crazy the things people will sell out in order to maintain these high-paying, high-profile jobs.

Eh.  Maybe.  Maybe not.

5 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

Nope. Tillerson just tucked his tail between his legs and trotted back to Trump like the pet dog he is.

It's crazy the things people will sell out in order to maintain these high-paying, high-profile jobs.

Tillerson made $240 million working for exxon-mobile from 2006-2016.  He makes $203,000 as Secretary of State.  I have no idea what his motivation is to be Secretary of State, he probably feels that he care serve his country, but I'm pretty sure it's not because of it's great pay.

Well, either that or he's just found the most palatable way to frame the Trump administration so that the public will accept its continued occupancy of office.

I mean, the clear subtext here is: "and that's why I would never support impeachment or legally removing Trump from office", right? There's not a moment that passes by when every single Senator should not have to answer for their callous indifference. Maybe we shouldn't let politicians take our breath away so easily with The Show(TM). You'd almost think we'd lost our capacity for scrutiny.

• Plus1 1