Lawrence Phillips Documentary Coming in December

Mavric

I hope they address the suspicious circumstances at the end of LP's life. Why was he locked in a cell with the gangbanger who was causing him problems in the yard? (The guy who turned up dead.) You'd think the prison officials would have to answer for that. But apparently in California—a state where they haven't used the death penalty since 2006—it's okay to stage a cage match to the death by locking two mortal enemies in the same cell.

I hope it shows his good traits. I didn't know him but others have reported that he was a great friend and a smart guy.

I didn't know him personally, but I did have a small class with him for 1 semester. In class, he seemed quiet and shy, and almost a reluctant football star. He also seemed like a pretty smart guy.

The class I had with him was a night class, and after the '94 National Championship, they were having a celebration at the Devaney Center at halftime of a NU basketball game. He seemed embarrassed to ask the teacher if he could leave class midway through the class to go to the celebration ceremony.