Protests

Oregon is a pretty guaranteed blue state, right? I might be giving more benefit of the doubt than is due here, but it could be that they, like many, couldn't feel comfortable voting for either major party candidate, and exercised the luxury of being able to abstain without it mattering. I did the same, but I would have acted differently if I lived in a state where my vote would have mattered.

You didn't see conservatives rioting after 08 & 12.

This isn't entirely accurate:

2AniVKG.jpg

13lJ0Wd.jpg

zuGTLa7.jpg

fYIIlC7.jpg

25t0fRF.jpg

RandyGray2.jpg

Kaylon Johnson, an African American campaign worker for Obama, was physically assaulted for wearing an Obama T-shirt in Louisiana following the 2008 election. The three white male attackers shouted “f#*k Obama!” and “African-American president!” as they broke Johnson’s nose and fractured his eye-socket, requiring surgery.

Only hours after Obama's election, a predominantly black church in Springfield, Mass., was torched. Three white men were arrested just days before Obama's Jan. 20 inauguration and charged with conspiring to deprive church congregants of their civil rights.

That night, four young white men from Staten Island “decided to go after black people” in retaliation for Obama’s election. They first drove to the mostly black Park Hill neighborhood and assaulted a Liberian immigrant, beating him with a metal pipe and a police baton, in addition to the usual blows from fists and feet. Then they drove to Port Richmond, where they assaulted another black man and verbally threatened a Latino man and a group of black people. They finished up the night by attempting to drive next to a man walking home from his job as a Rite Aid manager – he was actually white, but this crew of geniuses managed to misidentify him as a black man – and club him with the police baton. Instead, they simply hit him with their car, throwing him off the windshield and into a coma for over a month.

I stand corrected and apologize for the post that it is only the left that riots. As BRB said, my memory was selective. Those pictures are 'deplorable'. I did a knee jerk reaction and should have thought it through. To my fellow posters, I apologize for reacting.

• Fire 1

No worries TG.

What I don't think you saw when Obama got elected, to the best of my knowledge, was the 'winning' side all the sudden being galvanized into increases in hate crimes. The rise in attacks and harassment towards Muslims, Latinos, Blacks, etc. since Election Day has been pretty discouraging but also, sadly, predictable compared with what happened after the Brexit vote.

• Fire 4

Note the anti-Obama signs with the hammer and sickle. That was a protest sign in 2008, a slur calling Obama a communist.

Eight years later these same people elect as president a man married to a communist's daughter.

Hate is so illogical.

Along with the president elects having contact with Russia during the campaign and admires there leader.

Note the anti-Obama signs with the hammer and sickle. That was a protest sign in 2008, a slur calling Obama a communist.

Eight years later these same people elect as president a man married to a communist's daughter.

Hate is so illogical.

Along with the president elects having contact with Russia during the campaign and admires there leader.

It's so hard to believe the party of Ronald Reagan could be changed so much, but here we are.

• Fire 1

NYT: How fake news gets viral

I did think in the back of my mind there could be other explanations, but it just didn’t seem plausible,” he said in an interview, noting that he had posted as a “private citizen who had a tiny Twitter following.”
He added, “I’m also a very busy businessman and I don’t have time to fact-check everything that I put out there, especially when I don’t think it’s going out there for wide consumption.”

Innocent enough on the part of Mr. Tucker, and many of the people who were swayed. Less so on the part of those propagandists who seized upon this with unrepentant zeal. They know who they are, and they know what they've been doing.

"Nothing to protest yet."

"Just give Trump's people a chance."

Alt-Right Exults in Donald Trump’s Election With a Salute: ‘Heil Victory’

WASHINGTON — By the time Richard B. Spencer, the leading ideologue of the alt-right movement and the final speaker of the night, rose to address a gathering of his followers on Saturday, the crowd was restless.

In 11 hours of speeches and panel discussions in a federal building named after Ronald Reagan a few blocks from the White House, a succession of speakers had laid out a harsh vision for the future, but had denounced violence and said that Hispanic citizens and black Americans had nothing to fear. Earlier in the day, Mr. Spencer himself had urged the group to start acting less like an underground organization and more like the establishment.

But now his tone changed as he began to tell the audience of more than 200 people, mostly young men, what they had been waiting to hear. He railed against Jews and, with a smile, quoted Nazi propaganda in the original German. America, he said, belonged to white people, whom he called the “children of the sun,” a race of conquerors and creators who had been marginalized but now, in the era of President-elect Donald J. Trump, were “awakening to their own identity.”

As he finished, several audience members had their arms outstretched in a Nazi salute. When Mr. Spencer, or perhaps another person standing near him at the front of the room — it was not clear who — shouted, “Heil the people! Heil victory,” the room shouted it back.

These are exultant times for the alt-right movement, which was little known until this year, when it embraced Mr. Trump’s campaign and he appeared to embrace it back. He chose as his campaign chairman Stephen K. Bannon, the media executive who ran the alt-right’s most prominent platform, Breitbart News, and then named him as a senior adviser and chief strategist.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/21/13592814/alt-right-donald-trump-jared-taylor

Now, I don’t think Donald Trump really thinks in those terms. But for those of us who have been trying to slow the dispossession of whites, all of his policies — at least, those pertaining to immigration — align very nicely with the sorts of things we’ve been saying for many years.

I can agree with this Mr. Taylor's assessment of Trump as an innocently unwitting champion of white nationalism.