Fake News

Here's another great article about the lefts fake news panic. I really think we can merge the liberal freakout thread with the fake news thread as their is so much overlap between the two.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/11/liberals-fake-news-panic-show-they-cant-handle-the-truth/

So...you don't think there is any issue with people believing fake news.

Are these questions coming from the same person that chastises those who have called out mainstream media bias? If you read what I said previously, I think fake news and all the bias in the media are equally harmful to the American people. I just find it funny that, prior to November 8, we heard nothing about fake news, and now that Hillary lost, all we are hearing about is Fake news (when Russia is not the scapegoat).

Here's another great article about the lefts fake news panic. I really think we can merge the liberal freakout thread with the fake news thread as their is so much overlap between the two.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/11/liberals-fake-news-panic-show-they-cant-handle-the-truth/

Cool - then we agree that CNBC is to Fox what Breibart is to ... well, theres nothing like it.

Youre more naaive and uninformed than I gave you credit for Bni if you think this is left leaning issue. In fact - I say your attitude is the exact problem we face and why its so scary.

Please point me to where I said that media bias and misinformed articles only happens on the left. What I stated is that at the present time, its the left in this country that are now talking about fake news after the November election. If this was such a huge issue, why didn't you bring this up prior to November 8? Please answer that for me.

As for news comparisons, I would say that Huffington Post, Slate, Salon, etc...are comparable to Breitbart. Both put many new articles on their sites each day to encourage their viewers to read them, and both allow for viewers to post opinions and go back and forth. Do you read Huffington Post regularly?

Are these questions coming from the same person that chastises those who have called out mainstream media bias? If you read what I said previously, I think fake news and all the bias in the media are equally harmful to the American people. I just find it funny that, prior to November 8, we heard nothing about fake news, and now that Hillary lost, all we are hearing about is Fake news (when Russia is not the scapegoat).

Hey...I gave you an idea on a great thread. You going to take me up on it?

That's a pretty useful post on outlets from NM. I think that's a pretty fair take on the slant each of them have.

I also think it's kind of disingenuous to say that fake news is "only" an issue because Clinton lost and people are trying to use it as an excuse. It was definitely getting run BEFORE election day, because so many people were circulating absolute crap online on their Facebook and Twitter and whatnot. It just didn't get any run because Trump and Clinton were sucking all the air out of the room.

I don't think it's an excuse. I think it's a real thing and I wish people knew how to spot fake crap. Poorly sourced/biased stuff is a separate issue, I agree.

Perhaps it's just me, but I think too many people often view "the media" has some non-organic entity. Newspapers, radio programs and television newscasts are all controlled and operated by humans. Humans, no matter how hard they try, will never be completely objective.

Cool - then we agree that CNBC is to Fox what Breibart is to ... well, theres nothing like it.

Youre more naaive and uninformed than I gave you credit for Bni if you think this is left leaning issue. In fact - I say your attitude is the exact problem we face and why its so scary.

Please point me to where I said that media bias and misinformed articles only happens on the left. What I stated is that at the present time, its the left in this country that are now talking about fake news after the November election. If this was such a huge issue, why didn't you bring this up prior to November 8? Please answer that for me.

I think it's totally fair to suggest that the recent fake news outrage is being pushed by people who tend to lean left or down the middle. But, it was definitely an issue prior to the election, though it wasn't receiving the attention it is now.

So, now that we've gotten that out of the way, my question for you is simple - does that really matter? Can't we all acknowledge that, yes, this is probably a more liberal based movement while similarly acknowledging that it's a disgusting problem and should be rectified?

This also shouldn't really come as a shock - post-election periods are reserved for post-election analysis, and issues that may not have garnered much traction during the race become talking points afterwards. This happens after every single election.

• Fire 1

Perhaps it's just me, but I think too many people often view "the media" has some non-organic entity. Newspapers, radio programs and television newscasts are all controlled and operated by humans. Humans, no matter how hard they try, will never be completely objective.

This is true. The danger is in those who will willfully and knowlingly work to mislead, deceive, fabricate and misinform the public in furtherance of a hidden agenda. While there may be some of this on both the left and the right, 90% of it is done by the left and the result is an America in trouble socially, culturally, economically and politically. The left controls and manipulates the 'news' for purely political and partisan purposes. They cannot win fundamental debates about the important issues of the day using basic logic, common sense and reasoning because they don't have the 'facts' on their side in most matters. When you don't have the facts you have to work to manufacture 'facts' that you believe will cause the listeners to accept your position. The justice system has a detailed and long established set of 'rules of evidence' which control what is presented to the 'finder of facts' (a jury or the judge if no jury is present in the case). This control has long been carefully weighed, considered and judged to be fair, honest, accurate and RELIABLE. The last thing you want, when considering the guilt or innocense or otherwise making a determination of who wins or loses in a given matter is making critical decisions based on falsehoods and fiction.

These same basic principles ought to apply when considering important matters of public policy. For example, if the issue is 'global warming aka climate change', the people (meaning society at large) must be told the truth and given all the relevant 'facts' and not idle speculation or fabrications offered to support a particular policy position. When the people (the fact finders) are given made up climate data produced by scientists with a particular political agenda, there is great danger in making huge economic decisions which will adversely impact society founded on faulty science. This is the problem on this issue. Fake news has been put out for years by 'scientists' with shaky or non-existent scientific credentials and obvious hidden agendas and biases which make their 'conclusions' doubtful at best.

This same basic problem can be found all across the politcal realm in America and around the world. Never rush to judgment without clear, fully checked and rechecked informatiion. People lie for many reasons and a careful use of basic common sense and understanding of the real world of things will lead most people to the right determinations.

I think that's true - the good news sources do however exist and they're made up with a variety of people with a variety of experiences (which form opinions) and backgrounds which allow for fair balance. It's why NPR, BBC, NYT and Washington Post are consistently put in a very small group considered most unbiased and considered strong in their investigative reporting.

It's when you are surrounded by like thinkers, or when one chooses to exclude those who have different opinions then you get in trouble. Any of the biased (left or right) sources are a result of this.

Here really is the funny thing about this entire issue.

The right has been crying for decades now about the "mainstream media" being some left wing propaganda machine. This was propagated mainly by right wing media outlets who stand to gain financially from a mass of people now not trusting the MSM and propped up by politicians who also gain from that.

Over the last several years there has been a growing concern of fake news. It obviously came to a head in this election.

But....now we have the right angry and accusing the left of promoting this myth that fake news is a major problem.

The irony in this is laughable.

• Fire 1

It's actually very consistent. To get to where they want to be in the national discourse, it's important for their garbage to be treated as news and for traditional news to be treated as garbage. If they can at least make people see these things are roughly equal, then their arguments have legitimacy.

• Fire 2

Hey...I gave you an idea on a great thread. You going to take me up on it?

Nice dodge. If you are interested in creating a new thread, go for it. I'm not going to do your work for you.

I think it's totally fair to suggest that the recent fake news outrage is being pushed by people who tend to lean left or down the middle. But, it was definitely an issue prior to the election, though it wasn't receiving the attention it is now.

So, now that we've gotten that out of the way, my question for you is simple - does that really matter? Can't we all acknowledge that, yes, this is probably a more liberal based movement while similarly acknowledging that it's a disgusting problem and should be rectified?

This also shouldn't really come as a shock - post-election periods are reserved for post-election analysis, and issues that may not have garnered much traction during the race become talking points afterwards. This happens after every single election.

Sure, I agree with much of what you said, but what I don't agree with is all of the excuse making to try to delegitimize a very strong Trump victory on November 8. Nobody thought he would win let alone get over 300 EVs. I am all for post-election analysis, but whether its Russia or fake news, that is not why Hillary and the Dems were clobbered this election. Believe it or not, after the nastiest election in history, the election actually came down to issues and policies, and Trump's message in the rust belt resonated and his campaign strategy played out just as their campaign expected.

The right has been crying for decades now about the "mainstream media" being some left wing propaganda machine. This was propagated mainly by right wing media outlets who stand to gain financially from a mass of people now not trusting the MSM and propped up by politicians who also gain from that.

Over the last several years there has been a growing concern of fake news. It obviously came to a head in this election.

But....now we have the right angry and accusing the left of promoting this myth that fake news is a major problem.

This statement in bold is laughable. You have railed on here about how there is not mainstream media bias and its overblown, yet you seem to have jumped on the fake news bandwagon full steam ahead. As I've said before, MSM bias and "fake" news are all issues if they are negatively influencing voters from getting a fair shake of reality. Do you agree that both MSM bias and "fake" news are problematic?

This statement in bold is laughable. You have railed on here about how there is not mainstream media bias and its overblown, yet you seem to have jumped on the fake news bandwagon full steam ahead. As I've said before, MSM bias and "fake" news are all issues if they are negatively influencing voters from getting a fair shake of reality. Do you agree that both MSM bias and "fake" news are problematic?

What is REALLY laughable is that I have been saying on this board ever since I joined in 2012 that the media in this country is way more dangerous than any one person we elect to go to Washington. That includes all the major networks because they all have varying amounts of ulterior motives in making money pandering to various political groups and that the public funnels their consumption of the media to only outlets that confirm their world view.

But...hey.....go ahead and ignore that fact.

What you don't seem to get is the total absurdity that you have the preposterous opinion that because CNN or ABC or NBC may be slanted one way, somehow outlets like Brietbart, Infowars or even wacky articles passed around social media written by people who admit totally making them up as a joke.... is somehow equal in legitimacy.