Fake News

I'm not sure that it would ever happen (and i'm not sure if I've posted it here or elsewhere) but I think the only thing we can hope for is that the news media - ALL of them join efforts with a pledge to hold each other accountable for the truth, that they sacrifice running with juicy headlines in order to do the right thing. I don't think Fox or Brietbart would agree, but only when they are all on the same page and not competing for clicks or viewers will we get true journalistic coverage. You look back at Rather/Brokaw/Jennings - can you imagine any of them at 6pm leading with some of this stuff?

In the meantime I've subscribed to the WaPo and NYT in an effort to put my money where my mouth is.

I agree with your post.

However, it made me chuckle when I thought about the end of Rather's career.

The Daily Show made a name for itself by doing just that - the problem is, people who didn't want to believe that their team was lying through their teeth simply ignored it.

Exactly.

Trump routinely lies and he does it in front of a microphone or camera, but many of his supporters are completely unfazed by the dishonesty. It's difficult to have honest debate or even be informative when you have people who openly ignore lunacy.

And it ties very well into fake news. Trump has made it cool and amusing to make unfounded claims without being held accountable in any way. At least journalists can be sued for libel/slander, but millions of imbeciles with a keyboard are, in many ways, free to say whatever they want.

• Fire 1

You Trump haters have convinced yourselves of so many fictions you can't fathom the possibility that your world views are just that wrong. The easiest lies to tell are those that the audience they are intended for want to believe are true. So when someone says something you don't want to hear or believe is a lie, you are happy to find a way to rationalize it and accept it as the truth.

I feel like we have it - between taped interviews and tweets, but for some reason nobody has the balls to hold it up for the world to see. It's weird. Like the discussion at the Senate yesterday where none of the GOP would come out and say "he is wrong, and he is lying" but talked around it.

Now is the time for some real life American "heroes" to step up. It sounds hokey, but I feel whomever does will be viewed in the future as Franklin, Adams etc.

I'm talking like, live, during a debate, to his face. Trump v Clinton on CNN and Trump claims he never said global warming was a hoax - you cut his mic and you display his tweets saying exactly that until he relents, admits, or shuts up. It would be great to have a device like this for all politicians, but for Trump it would be exceptionally hilarious and prudent. If you're doing it on your own network or podcast or conversation or whatever removed from the event, that just leaves room for spin spin spin spin spin. But imagine how awesome it would be if that existed in the moment.

You Trump haters have convinced yourselves of so many fictions you can't fathom the possibility that your world views are just that wrong. The easiest lies to tell are those that the audience they are intended for want to believe are true. So when someone says something you don't want to hear or believe is a lie, you are happy to find a way to rationalize it and accept it as the truth.

Look in the mirror.

Look in the mirror. The things you accuse those villainous liberals of doing are infact the exact things you are doing.

I beg you to open your mind and evaluate new sources of information, use actual facts and data, not your opinion. Please engage in debate, stop with the labels and diatribe. Listen to others. There is a great wealth of knowledge on this board, and a lot of it has helped me change my views and broaden my outlook. I hope it can do the same for you if you give it the opportunity.

hy·poc·ri·sy
həˈpäkrəsē/
noun
noun: hypocrisy; plural noun: hypocrisies
the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
I digress. Prove anything I said is wrong and then maybe I'll listen to the lunacy of your opinions. Until then, you're just throwing stones in a glass house.

Which is exactly why you should stop getting your news from FoxNews and conservative talk radio. They make a living doing exactly what you just described.

• 4 months later...