Iowa Hate Week - Please post to show your love

ADS

My dad's side of the family are from Alabama. And I mean, the sticks of Alabama. Up north in the foothills just before you get to the border with Tennessee. They are the 'three whole teeth in his head' kind of hillbillies. The 'meet your future wife at the family reunion' kind of hillbillies. They're the 'SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC' kind of hillbillies. They're the 'Look, Stump-jumping Jethro is using all three of his brain cells to talk!' kind of hillbillies. Like, some serious 'Deliverance' kind of hillbillies. I'm not proud of this. It's an embarrassing family secret.

The thing is, the worst examples of the worst kind of deep south hillbillies are a regular bunch of Stephen Hawkings compared to the average Hawkeye fan.

Truly, Iowa is the dirty, unwashed anus of America. And Hawkeye fans are the cause. I pity the poor Cyclone fans that have to live next to them.

• Fire 1

Iowa fans and Nebraska fans are culturally similar. Corn belt midwesterners. Iowa fans are not the same, though. It's a lot like a pair of twins that were separated at birth and grew up in different families and neighborhoods.

Iowa fans, to me, are more similar to Badger fans, with a belligerent, foul-mouth attitude, and death-defying BAC.

They make fun of us for being mediocre since our dynasty run, then ritually celebrate a realistically mediocre season ever 4-5 years amidst not good seasons.

You can't make this stuff up, they are kinda like KSux fans.

I know people occasionally accuse me of being an Iowa homer on this board, which I most assuredly am not, but the only reason I get those accusations is because people aren't fair or rational in their assessments of Iowa's programs.

Since 2001...

Number of 11+ win seasons:

Iowa - 3

Nebraska - 0

Number of top 10 finishes:

Iowa - 4

Nebraska - 0

Number of conference championships (yes, we are all aware that these were obtained differently than the Big XII):

Iowa - 2

Nebraska - 0

Number of major bowl appearances:

Iowa - 3

Nebraska - 0

Their program operates quite differently than ours in the sense of having common 4-7 win seasons, but also has seasons sprinkled in that are better than anything we've accomplished in 15 years.

And we still have a better overall record than them during that same time span. But congratulations to Iowa: in their best ever era and our mediocrity since the dynasty years, they've managed to "almost" win as often as us. Quite an accomplishment for a program whose "tradition" is primarily based on moral victories and never winning anything at all of significance.

We can talk about the past, and Nebraska would win that discussion handily. We can talk about the present, and even if they manage to beat our 2nd or 3rd string quarterback tomorrow or our gimpy starter, they'll still have an awe inspiring (for them) 8 wins...which is only 1 win less than Nebraska (with a loss at home to an FCS team to boot). Past or present, Iowa football is inferior.

Little brother Iowa: always trying to compare themselves to the big boys, and always coming up just short. I'd talk about how their stirring Orange Bowl victory over Georgia Tech 7 years ago (the only major bowl win they've had in about 50 years) was the stuff of legends, but I wouldn't want to live in the past like their fans clearly do. :P

Just for fun:

Nebraska Football W-L record since 2000:

2000: 10-2

2001: 11-2

2002: 7-7

2003: 10-3

2004: 5-6

2005: 8-4

2006: 9-5

2007: 5-7

2008: 9-4

2009: 10-4

2010: 10-4

2011: 9-4

2012: 10-4

2013: 9-4

2014: 9-4

2015: 6-7

2016: 9-2

TOTAL: 156-73 .681 winning pct

Iowa Football W-L record since 2000:

2000: 3-9

2001: 7-5

2002: 11-2

2003: 10-3

2004: 10-2

2005: 7-5

2006: 6-7

2007: 6-6

2008: 9-4

2009: 11-2

2010: 8-5

2011: 7-6

2012: 4-8

2013: 8-5

2014: 7-6

2015: 12-2

2016: 7-4

TOTAL: 133-81 .621 winning pct.

The point isn't that Nebraska is on the level of Alabama or Ohio State right now; we're not, and haven't been for many years. But wins and losses are the truest measure of any program's worth, and in that department, it's pretty clear that Iowa doesn't measure up to Nebraska-- now or ever. They'd be better off trying to prove their program's worth to Northwestern and Iowa State fans, not Husker fans.