Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed - Again

cm husker

No idea. But it seems like you were kind of saying that when you said he changed his philosophy to concentrate on faraway football hotbeds.

I don't think he concentrated on faraway football hotbeds as much as he maintained the inroads Solich had already made in places like New Jersey. To get the defensive speed he wanted, he had to compete with SEC schools in areas out of our traditional comfort zone, and double-down in places like New Jersey and California.

So much like Mike Riley, Tom Osborne created a team reliant on position players from outside the 500 mile radius, sometimes referred to dismissively as "coastal talent" although most Nebraska fans welcome them as Huskers.

Hard to imagine those '95 Huskers being quite as dominant without:

Lawrence Phillips (California)

Riley Washington (California)

Sheldon Jackson (California)

Christian Peter (New Jersey)

Jason Peter (New Jersey)

Kenny Cheatham (Arizona)

Terrell Farley (Georgia)

Tyrone Williams (Florida)

Tommie Frazier (Florida)

Cheatham and Washington were not major players that year. Jackson was the 3rd team TE. Phillips was dominate for 3 of 12 games, but the 4 Omaha backs behind him were pretty good in his absence. And for all his greatness, Frazier was marginally better than the local boy Brook.

No idea. But it seems like you were kind of saying that when you said he changed his philosophy to concentrate on faraway football hotbeds.

I don't think he concentrated on faraway football hotbeds as much as he maintained the inroads Solich had already made in places like New Jersey. To get the defensive speed he wanted, he had to compete with SEC schools in areas out of our traditional comfort zone, and double-down in places like New Jersey and California.

So much like Mike Riley, Tom Osborne created a team reliant on position players from outside the 500 mile radius, sometimes referred to dismissively as "coastal talent" although most Nebraska fans welcome them as Huskers.

Jason Peter (New Jersey)

Kenny Cheatham (Arizona)

Terrell Farley (Georgia)

Tommie Frazier (Florida)

Cheatham and Washington were not major players that year. Jackson was the 3rd team TE. Phillips was dominate for 3 of 12 games, but the 4 Omaha backs behind him were pretty good in his absence. And for all his greatness, Frazier was marginally better than the local boy Brook.

Berringer was from Kansas. Does midwest = local now? Or does non-coastal = local?

Referred to "dismissively."

If you're saying Riley refers to local recruiting dismissively, provide evidence.

If not, carry on.

I'll carry on.

And you can reread the thread.

I have you on ignore but since you replied directly after my post I wanted to see if it was relevant. I'm fine with continuing to not know what you meant by the comment.

Jason Peter (New Jersey)

Kenny Cheatham (Arizona)

Terrell Farley (Georgia)

Tommie Frazier (Florida)

This is revisionist history if I have ever heard it. Brook was a great person and what happened to him was sad, but he was nowhere near as good of a QB in Tom's system that Tommie was. We were blessed to have the QB depth that we did at the time because Brook was a very good QB, (what a concept!) but Tommie was clearly the best QB on the team and that is why he was the unquestioned starter in 1995. This was after Book did a wonderful job of holding the fort down while Tommie was out in 1994. IMO Tom's masterful use of both of them in the Orange Bowl is what won the game for us vs Miami with how much different QB's they were.

TO and McBride went and had a lovely visit with Bobby Bowden and that is how the defense switched from a 5-2 to a 4-3. That is when they started recruiting safeties to play linebacker, linebackers to play DE and DE to play DT.

This is exactly what happened. They started to look for safeties who had the build to put on muscle to play LB's and the same at the other two positions that you mentioned. It made us too fast for everyone which made it ironic when Corso picked Florida in the Fiesta Bowl because it had a grass surface and it would slow down Nebraska to a speed to where a slower Florida team to not only be competitive, but win the game. Nebraska's ass whippings of Florida and Tennessee twice made the SEC change the way they recruited and how they also constructed their teams. Before Nebraska started to physically whip the SEC, they were all trying to compete with Spurrier's soft finesse teams and that made the entire conference soft.

Jason Peter (New Jersey)

Kenny Cheatham (Arizona)

Terrell Farley (Georgia)

Tommie Frazier (Florida)

This is revisionist history if I have ever heard it. Brook was a great person and what happened to him was sad, but he was nowhere near as good of a QB in Tom's system that Tommie was. We were blessed to have the QB depth that we did at the time because Brook was a very good QB, (what a concept!) but Tommie was clearly the best QB on the team and that is why he was the unquestioned starter in 1995. This was after Book did a wonderful job of holding the fort down while Tommie was out in 1994. IMO Tom's masterful use of both of them in the Orange Bowl is what won the game for us vs Miami with how much different QB's they were.
Revisionist history indeed. Osborne himself said that the QB race literally came down to about 1 or 2 plays during practice that year. They were almost exact equals when they were graded out.

Listen to Benning, the team was split on who was the better dude.

• Fire 1

Pretty sure Tom Osborne won his first National Championship when he realized Brook Berringer was not going to get him there, and inserted Tommie Frazier into the 1994 Orange Bowl.

Brook was no doubt the better dude, but Tommie was the transformational player.

Unless Tommie Frazier wasn't one of college football's greatest players as ranked by virtually every college football expert, but one of several quarterbacks you could have dropped into the system.

Whatever.

I think the only remaining point in this mess is that both Tom Osborne and Mike Riley got key players for their system by recruiting from faraway places, but if you squint really hard and bend your mind a little, you can blame Mike Riley for anything.

• Fire 2

I agree w a lot of cm postings. I wish we still had a floor to ceiling Pillar of Identity that had its roots in the way TO did things.

One huge problem besides everything that everyone has pointed out is that it wasn't just TO. Uncle Milt, Monte Kiffin, Solich, Brown, etc etc...

Not only does a TO not come around very often, neither does a staff with that type of pedigree stick around for an entire generation or two very often either.

CM, you gotta stop doing this because you're chasing not just a Pillar of Identity and 1 mans vision for an entire State of football philosophy, your chasing the ghosts of several coaches that we'd be lucky to have 1 of come back in their prime. Things change and people die. It'll never ever be what it once was the exact same way; even if we could download TO's brain and follow his Pillar forever.

It would never ever produce the results he had--we as husker fans should just be grateful that we got the run we had. I mean, look at kstate. They've had Snyder there as their TO for a long stretch. And they never won a Nat'l championship.

I hope MR can do the best job he can do and I'll be satisfied with that, should he lose too much, he'll need to move on. As for Callahan and Bo, they became hard to be satisfied with anything they did because of the way they acted.

We have a chance to win 11 games this year!! I'm pretty stoked. I don't care where the kids come from. As long as they represent N well and play hard and give it their all, I'm cool w/ whatever offense we run or defense we use. You should enjoy it as well and stop chasing ghosts.

• Fire 1