you don't want to admit it

marko polo

Michigan has 8 talented defensive lineman that can rotate all game. Something we definitely do not have

Nah talent means nothing. Harbaugh went 17-20 his first 3 years at Stanford bc he didn't know how to coach, not talent reasons. You don't need time to build it.

Get a good coach talent is meaningless.

Please tell me you didn't just compare a Stanford team that won 16 games in five seasons prior to Harbaugh, to a Nebraska team that won 47 games in 5 years..

It's not a comparison, it's the ingnorance that talent doesn't matter. It matters. Harbaugh was a great coach when he started at Stanford but needed to get the talent level up to win there. Riley is going to win 9 or 10 games this season fwiw.

Same reason Bill Snyder has only won 65% of his games. He's as good a coach as I've ever seen but is limited by lack of talent.

Good thing nobody has actually said that then. But please, continue with your strawman brigade.

Re-read the string of posts you're quoting. Someone said "talent means nothing" and "talent is meaningless."

Don't get me wrong, I like Riley. But I also recognize that he's not the guy who's going to return us to the top. Neither will Craig Bohl or some other no-name guy. I'm not even sold on Frost. Les Miles would've been a perfect hire, especially with his son coming here, because he's a big name and and excellent recruiter with ties to the South. Our coach has to be a big-name guy who 4 and 5-star guys will actually want to come to Lincoln to play for. Our recruiting class showed early promise but has fizzled. We have to be able to compete with Meyer and Harbaugh's recruiting classes on a yearly basis, and without a big name coach that'll never happen. We have to follow the blueprint laid out by teams like Alabama, Ohio State, and Michigan. Hire a big name and pay top $ if you want to be a top program.

Don't get me wrong, I like Riley. But I also recognize that he's not the guy who's going to return us to the top. Neither will Craig Bohl or some other no-name guy. I'm not even sold on Frost. Les Miles would've been a perfect hire, especially with his son coming here, because he's a big name and and excellent recruiter with ties to the South. Our coach has to be a big-name guy who 4 and 5-star guys will actually want to come to Lincoln to play for. Our recruiting class showed early promise but has fizzled. We have to be able to compete with Meyer and Harbaugh's recruiting classes on a yearly basis, and without a big name coach that'll never happen. We have to follow the blueprint laid out by teams like Alabama, Ohio State, and Michigan. Hire a big name and pay top $ if you want to be a top program.

This. + 1,000,000 (but...it's Frost!)

• Fire 1

I hope Scott Frost continues to grow as a head coach so that when Coach Riley retires (we all know that SE will not fire him) we can offer Scott the head coach position. Who knows-maybe that has been the plan all along?

Actually I'd bet he would, he's just not going to do it in the first or even second year of his contract. And I'd also say that Riley gets at least 4 years, more if he continues with 9 win seasons w/o acting like a dickbag.

It could happen, its just not going to happen yet.

I have heard Damon Benning on more then one occasion say Scott Frost will not come here for reason related to his playing time here at NE. I wish Riley was the answer but I don't think he is and WI , OH State, Penn State, MI, and Iowa will not be waiting around. I doubt we can beat a big time team like those mention with the lack of heart and the amount of softness we have.

How many times do you see a running back make one 6 yard run and then leave the game? How many times do you see a receiver do the same?

Do we have an issue with conditioning?

Michigan has 8 talented defensive lineman that can rotate all game. Something we definitely do not have

Nah talent means nothing. Harbaugh went 17-20 his first 3 years at Stanford bc he didn't know how to coach, not talent reasons. You don't need time to build it.

Get a good coach talent is meaningless.

Please tell me you didn't just compare a Stanford team that won 16 games in five seasons prior to Harbaugh, to a Nebraska team that won 47 games in 5 years..

It's not a comparison, it's the ingnorance that talent doesn't matter. It matters. Harbaugh was a great coach when he started at Stanford but needed to get the talent level up to win there. Riley is going to win 9 or 10 games this season fwiw.

Same reason Bill Snyder has only won 65% of his games. He's as good a coach as I've ever seen but is limited by lack of talent.

Good thing nobody has actually said that then. But please, continue with your strawman brigade.
Re-read the string of posts you're quoting. Someone said "talent means nothing" and "talent is meaningless."
Yeah, it's the same guy I was disagreeing with. He was being hyperbolic in an attempt to make his point.

This. + 1,000,000 (but...it's Frost!)

I'd be OK with Frost; I'm just not sure about his recruiting ability. That's the importance of having a big name guy. It's gotta be someone who these top-tier recruits will want to come to Lincoln to play for. Sure do wish we could've gotten Miles.

The "we need a big name hire" argument is hilarious because every single one of those prospects started as a no-name, and most were hired by big time schools before they were completely proven commodities.

We want a big name guy but there are none available! And there wasn't when we were search either. Harbaugh was either going Big Blue or staying in the NFL. Could have tried Herman at that point but he had no HC experience. Tressell wasn't an option. Who were we supposed to get, PJ Fleck? Maybe he could have done well here but who knows. In all honesty HCMR could be considered a big name, at least among the coaches themselves. Alot of people here saying we need to recruit the 4 and 5 star guys and that Riley can't do that, but I think we will be pleasantly surprised at the amount of talent he will bring to Lincoln in his time here

The "we need a big name hire" argument is hilarious because every single one of those prospects started as a no-name, and most were hired by big time schools before they were completely proven commodities.

I hate to say it but Riley was a proven career .504 commodity before coming here. Hiring friends and blowout losses kind of reaffirm that.

I hate to say it but Riley was a proven career .504 commodity before coming here. Hiring friends and blowout losses kind of reaffirm that.
At a historically .400 school before he arrived