Iowa - Nebraska Talent Comparison

BIG ERN

If you use 247 Composite's Ranking - aggregates all of the recruiting services to make a more accurate average - we are...

2012 = +10 spots

2013 = +36 spots

2014 = +23 spots

2015 = +30 spots

2016 = +24 spots

On average, we finish 25 spots above Iowa in the recruiting rankings. Recruiting is based on talent. What you do with that talent once it's in the door is called production - and we were clearly out-produced, evidenced by a loss. But on talent alone, I'd take Nebraska 10/10 times, even after losing by 30.

Teams who finish near Iowa yearly: Oregon St. Iowa St. Rutgers. Boston College. Syracuse.

Teams who finish near us yearly: TCU. South Carolina. Penn St. Virginia Tech. Louisville.

Teams who finish 25 spots ahead of us yearly: Ohio St. Alabama. Michigan. Florida St. LSU.

Yes, rankings are not always accurate. But that is the point of using averages here - they take care of the noise in the dataset. For every 2* Desmond King, there are hundreds of crappy 2* players.

• Fire 3

I agree they are getting more out of their players than we are, but how is Newby more talented than Wadley? - because he attended more camps in HS and got the higher rating? I just don't like the fact a person is automatically better because some recruiting service says so. Don't get me wrong, overall Nebraska has recruited better than Iowa, but the players on the field today aren't as good at this current moment.

Wadley had one cut back and took it 75 yards - something Newby hasn't done in his whole career. Wadley averaged over 14 ypc his SR year in HS, which is incredible regardless of level of competition.

If I'm building a team, and I don't know any of your fancy stats - yes, I take Nebraska's players every time.

You must really think that Mike Riley has under performed then. 0-4 vs the teams we have to beat if we ever want to win the West. Two teams that we have way more talent than they do.

I agree they are getting more out of their players than we are, but how is Newby more talented than Wadley? - because he attended more camps in HS and got the higher rating? I just don't like the fact a person is automatically better because some recruiting service says so. Don't get me wrong, overall Nebraska has recruited better than Iowa, but the players on the field today aren't as good at this current moment.

Wadley had one cut back and took it 75 yards - something Newby hasn't done in his whole career.

If I'm building a team, and I don't know any of your fancy stats - yes, I take Nebraska's players every time.

You must really think that Mike Riley has under performed then. 0-4 vs the teams we have to beat if we ever want to win the West. Two teams that we have way more talent than they do.

Newby did that at Northwestern, he just managed to fumble. :) Yes, Newby is much more talented than Wadley. Not only did one recruiting site rank him higher, EVERY recruiting site did. He played much better competition and put up ridiculous stats.

Running Back A: 105 carries, 1548yds, 14.7 YPC, 129 yds/gm, 29 TDs

Running Back B: 301 carries, 2305yds, 7.7 YPC, 165 yds/gm, 45 TDs

Running Back B played better competition. Both want to come to your school and you have 1 scholarship. I'm taking B.

Yes, Mike Riley has underperformed. I think that is the general sentiment, or at least it should be.

• Fire 1

Wadley had one cut back and took it 75 yards - something Newby hasn't done in his whole career.

Newby did that at Northwestern, he just managed to fumble. :) Yes, Newby is much more talented than Wadley. Not only did one recruiting site rank him higher, EVERY recruiting site did. He played much better competition and put up ridiculous stats.

Running Back B played better competition. Both want to come to your school and you have 1 scholarship. I'm taking B.

Yes, Mike Riley has underperformed. I think that is the general sentiment, or at least it should be.

I would take player A every single day of the week. Almost DOUBLE the ypc - to me is one of the most important things as a RB. If you give Wadley more carries it isn't even close. Newby played against better talent but nothing drastic. Wadley played in Newark, NJ - not like it was the middle of no where USA. I also watched both of their highlights tapes and Wadley looks more impressive.

I would take player A every single day of the week. Almost DOUBLE the ypc - to me is one of the most important things as a RB. If you give Wadley more carries it isn't even close. Newby played against better talent but nothing drastic. Wadley played in Newark, NJ - not like it was the middle of no where USA.

Ehhh. To me, that shows a much less durable back. I'd want someone who has proven he can carry a season's workload. Now we're back to preferences in production. :)

Newby was a Top 100 prospect overall. Wadley was ranked the 57th best prospect... in New Jersey.

I would take player A every single day of the week. Almost DOUBLE the ypc - to me is one of the most important things as a RB. If you give Wadley more carries it isn't even close. Newby played against better talent but nothing drastic. Wadley played in Newark, NJ - not like it was the middle of no where USA.

Ehhh. To me, that shows a much less durable back. I'd want someone who has proven he can carry a season's workload. Now we're back to preferences in production. :)

Newby was a Top 100 prospect overall. Wadley was ranked the 57th best prospect... in New Jersey.

Again, strictly going by what Rivals has him. Go watch the film. Newby doesn't have near the side to side movement and speed.

Again, strictly going by what Rivals has him. Go watch the film. Newby doesn't have near the side to side movement and speed.

False. I'm going by 247 Composite rankings. Rivals doesn't have Wadley ranked, FWIW.

I'm using averages of Rivals, ESPN, 247, Scout, etc.

Okay, our skill guys had more *s. What about our line? How many stars did we have starting on the line vs Iowa?

Iowa's running backs had huge holes to run through on their big plays, and Beathard had time to throw. Our guys, not so much.

Our D-line has two guys playing on Sundays now, and one guy playing for Michigan State.

Speaking of talent, I gotta give props to Iowa for identifying and signing MLB Josey Jewell. He was a 2* recruit coming out of small Iowa high school. Was going to be a walk-on at Iowa. But then Northern Iowa made a late scholie offer to Jewell. Instead of letting him slip to Northern Iowa, the Hawkeyes also made him a scholie offer. He committed to Iowa on NSD 2013. It turned out well for the Hawkeyes. Jewell is 2nd in B1G tackles, and might be a first rounder if he left early. We'll see him again though. (Ugh.) He said he will probably stay for his Sr season instead of turning pro. He'll be playing Sundays in a couple of years.

Fricken Iowa. :hmmph:

False. I'm going by 247 Composite rankings. Rivals doesn't have Wadley ranked, FWIW.

Doesn't matter, I make my own observations while you breast feed from recruiting services only.

Speaking of talent, I gotta give props to Iowa for identifying and signing MLB Josey Jewell. He was a 2* recruit coming out of small Iowa high school. Was going to be a walk-on at Iowa. But then Northern Iowa made a late scholie offer to Jewell. Instead of letting him slip to Northern Iowa, the Hawkeyes also made him a scholie offer. He committed to Iowa on NSD 2013. It turned out well for the Hawkeyes. Jewell is 2nd in B1G tackles, and might be a first rounder if he left early. We'll see him again though. (Ugh.) He said he will probably stay for his Sr season instead of turning pro. He'll be playing Sundays in a couple of years.

Fricken Iowa. :hmmph:

Wrong Nuance. He was terrible - only a 2 STAR! Never had any talent at all since he is white and from the state of Iowa.....

Doesn't matter, I make my own observations while you breast feed from recruiting services only.

Compare the offer lists of the two players.