Iowa - Nebraska Talent Comparison

BIG ERN

Speaking of talent, I gotta give props to Iowa for identifying and signing MLB Josey Jewell. He was a 2* recruit coming out of small Iowa high school. Was going to be a walk-on at Iowa. But then Northern Iowa made a late scholie offer to Jewell. Instead of letting him slip to Northern Iowa, the Hawkeyes also made him a scholie offer. He committed to Iowa on NSD 2013. It turned out well for the Hawkeyes. Jewell is 2nd in B1G tackles, and might be a first rounder if he left early. We'll see him again though. (Ugh.) He said he will probably stay for his Sr season instead of turning pro. He'll be playing Sundays in a couple of years.

Fricken Iowa. :hmmph:

Wrong Nuance. He was terrible - only a 2 STAR! Never had any talent at all since he is white and from the state of Iowa.....

Ha ha! Generally recruiting rankings are pretty decent, on the aggregate. They were wrong on Jewell. The problem is, guys like him—2*s who become all conference—don't come along very often. And they're tough to identify. Last one we had was Spencer Long (that I can recall). He walked on. Have we ever given a scholie to a 2* who became All-Conference? Can't think of any.

• Fire 1

Speaking of talent, I gotta give props to Iowa for identifying and signing MLB Josey Jewell. He was a 2* recruit coming out of small Iowa high school. Was going to be a walk-on at Iowa. But then Northern Iowa made a late scholie offer to Jewell. Instead of letting him slip to Northern Iowa, the Hawkeyes also made him a scholie offer. He committed to Iowa on NSD 2013. It turned out well for the Hawkeyes. Jewell is 2nd in B1G tackles, and might be a first rounder if he left early. We'll see him again though. (Ugh.) He said he will probably stay for his Sr season instead of turning pro. He'll be playing Sundays in a couple of years.

Wrong Nuance. He was terrible - only a 2 STAR! Never had any talent at all since he is white and from the state of Iowa.....

Ha ha! Generally recruiting rankings are pretty decent, on the aggregate. They were wrong on Jewell. The problem is, guys like him—2*s who become all conference—don't come along very often. And they're tough to identify. Last one we had was Spencer Long (that I can recall). He walked on. Have we ever given a scholie to a 2* who became All-Conference? Can't think of any.

It's the JJ Watt fallacy. For every 2* who becomes an All American, there's a few hundred who don't.

I agree they are getting more out of their players than we are, but how is Newby more talented than Wadley? - because he attended more camps in HS and got the higher rating? I just don't like the fact a person is automatically better because some recruiting service says so. Don't get me wrong, overall Nebraska has recruited better than Iowa, but the players on the field today aren't as good at this current moment.

Wadley had one cut back and took it 75 yards - something Newby hasn't done in his whole career.

If I'm building a team, and I don't know any of your fancy stats - yes, I take Nebraska's players every time.

You must really think that Mike Riley has under performed then. 0-4 vs the teams we have to beat if we ever want to win the West. Two teams that we have way more talent than they do.

Newby did that at Northwestern, he just managed to fumble. :) Yes, Newby is much more talented than Wadley. Not only did one recruiting site rank him higher, EVERY recruiting site did. He played much better competition and put up ridiculous stats.

Running Back A: 105 carries, 1548yds, 14.7 YPC, 129 yds/gm, 29 TDs

Running Back B: 301 carries, 2305yds, 7.7 YPC, 165 yds/gm, 45 TDs

Running Back B played better competition. Both want to come to your school and you have 1 scholarship. I'm taking B.

Yes, Mike Riley has underperformed. I think that is the general sentiment, or at least it should be.

I would take player A every single day of the week. Almost DOUBLE the ypc - to me is one of the most important things as a RB. If you give Wadley more carries it isn't even close. Newby played against better talent but nothing drastic. Wadley played in Newark, NJ - not like it was the middle of no where USA.

Ehhh. To me, that shows a much less durable back. I'd want someone who has proven he can carry a season's workload. Now we're back to preferences in production. :)

Newby was a Top 100 prospect overall. Wadley was ranked the 57th best prospect... in New Jersey.

Again, strictly going by what Rivals has him. Go watch the film. Newby doesn't have near the side to side movement and speed.

False. I'm going by 247 Composite rankings. Rivals doesn't have Wadley ranked, FWIW.

I'm using averages of Rivals, ESPN, 247, Scout, etc.

Doesn't matter, I make my own observations while you breast feed from recruiting services only.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

Landlord of Memorial Stadium, on 15 Dec 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:snapback.png

Gosh. He is a total package.

Just so we're all clear... :24. That was a catch, two stiff arms, a hurdle, and 20 YAC and after contact against what I'm assuming to be a bunch of Division 1 prospects based on the league he plays in.

This is me being very impressed with Newby's highlight film in 2012. Page 6 of his recruiting profile. But hey, just eating what the recruiting services feed me.

• Fire 1

It's the JJ Watt fallacy. For every 2* who becomes an All American, there's a few hundred who don't.

Few hundred? Probably a few thousand. :lol:

I guess that's why it's nearly impossible to identify the diamond in the rough 2*. Also, if a decent school gives them an early offer, they sometimes don't stay a 2* for long. Just sayin..

• Fire 1

I agree with that and don't want it to seem like I don't think that recruiting rankings matter at all, because they do. Some guys who were far under radar that come to mind ... Joe Ganz, Matt Slauson, Jean-Baptiste

I posted this last December. I believe I went off of Rivals Rankings.

Unranked - 2* NFL players rated out of High School (post 2001 HS) that turned out to be good players.

Russell Wilson - NC State/Wisconsin (QB)

Alex Smith - Utah (QB)

Chris Johnson - East Carolina (RB)

Matt Forte - Tulane (RB)

LaGarrette Blount - Oregon (RB)

Chris Ivory - Washington St/Tiffin (RB)

Leveon Bell - Michigan St (RB)

Doug Martin - Boise St (RB)

Justin Forsett - CAL (RB)

Alfred Morris - Florida Atlantic (RB)

Brandon Marshall - UCF (WR)
Antonio Brown - Central Michigan (WR)
Ty Hilton - Florida Int (WR)

Eric Decker - Minnesota (WR)

Doug Baldwin - Stanford (WR)
Jordy Nelson - Kansas St (WR)

Marques Colston - Hofstra (WR)

Pierre Garcon - Mount Untion (WR)

Davante Adams - Fresno St (WR)

Victor Cruz - UMASS (WR)
Julius Thomas - Portland State (TE)

Travis Kelce - Cincinnati (TE)

Jordan Cameron - USC (TE)
Ryan Clady - Boise St (OL)

Joe Staley - Central Michigan (OL)

Eric Fisher - Central Michigan (OL)

Josh Sitton - UCF (OL)

Alex Mack - CAL (OL)
Mike Iupati - Idaho (OL)

BJ Raji - Boston College (DT)

Dontari Poe - Memphis (DT)

JJ Watt - Central Michigan/Wisconsin (DE)

Derek Wolfe - Cincinnati (DE)

Michael Bennett - Texas A&M (DE)

Mike Daniels - Iowa (DE)

Chandler Jones - Syracuse (DE)

Muhammad Wilkerson - Temple (DE)

Connor Barwin - Cincinnati (DE/LB)

Bruce Irvin - C.C./West Virginia (DE/LB)

Lavonte David - Nebraska (LB)

Bobby Wagner - Utah State (LB)

Chad Greenway - Iowa (LB)

Khalil Mack - Buffalo (LB)

Brent Grimes - Central Arkansas (CB)

Adam 'Pacman' Jones - West Virginia (CB)

Chris Harris - Kansas (CB)

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Tennessee State (CB)
Aquib Talib - Kansas (CB)
Eric Weddle - Utah (DB)

Jairus Byrd - Oregon (DB)

Patrick Chung - Oregon (DB)

Devin McCourty - Rutgers (DB)

Unranked - 2* NFL players rated out of High School (post 2001 HS) that turned out to be good players.

Alex Smith - Utah (QB)

Matt Forte - Tulane (RB)

Victor Cruz - UMASS (WR)

Josh Sitton - UCF (OL)

Alex Mack - CAL (OL)

Mike Iupati - Idaho (OL)

Mike Daniels - Iowa (DE)

Eric Weddle - Utah (DB)

500,000 kids graduate high school each year that played football (cool stat one of the new either Nike/Dick's/Adidas commercials had on). Based on your stats, the earliest a kid could have graduated and gone to the NFL would be 2013.

Yes, in 11 years, 5.5 million kids later, you will see 50 of them turned into good NFL players.

• Fire 3

Alex Smith - Utah (QB)

Matt Forte - Tulane (RB)

Victor Cruz - UMASS (WR)

Josh Sitton - UCF (OL)

Alex Mack - CAL (OL)

Mike Iupati - Idaho (OL)

Mike Daniels - Iowa (DE)

Eric Weddle - Utah (DB)

500,000 kids graduate high school each year that played football (cool stat one of the new either Nike/Dick's/Adidas commercials had on). Based on your stats, the earliest a kid could have graduated and gone to the NFL would be 2013.

Yes, in 11 years, 5.5 million kids later, you will see 50 of them turned into good NFL players.

50 out of 5.5 million is rare but it isn't relevant. It's not the population anyone would ever look at or care about.

Coaches aren't looking at 5.5 million players to decide who to recruit. I'm no expert on how it works but I'm guessing when a coach finds a kid in the early stages it's because they asked the kid's high school coach if he had any talent on his team. There are 14k high school football teams and not all of those even have 1 kid who is ever ranked. If they're not ranked they probably didn't have a coach who showed them off or thought they were good enough to try to get a scholarship.

The real pool for these diamond in the rough 2* players is much much smaller than 5.5 million. 2* doesn't mean bad. They have to be decent to be ranked at all. That narrows down the field already. That said it's still a small proportion.

Alex Smith - Utah (QB)

Matt Forte - Tulane (RB)

Victor Cruz - UMASS (WR)

Josh Sitton - UCF (OL)

Alex Mack - CAL (OL)

Mike Iupati - Idaho (OL)

Mike Daniels - Iowa (DE)

Eric Weddle - Utah (DB)

50 out of 5.5 million is rare but it isn't relevant. It's not the population anyone would ever look at or care about.

Coaches aren't looking at 5.5 million players to decide who to recruit. I'm no expert on how it works but I'm guessing when a coach finds a kid in the early stages it's because they asked the kid's high school coach if he had any talent on his team. There are 14k high school football teams and not all of those even have 1 kid who is ever ranked. If they're not ranked they probably didn't have a coach who showed them off or thought they were good enough to try to get a scholarship.

The real pool for these diamond in the rough 2* players is much much smaller than 5.5 million. 2* doesn't mean bad. They have to be decent to be ranked at all. That narrows down the field already. That said it's still a small proportion.

This is for sure correct. I also didn't post that because it was a great ratio, just showed that those kids turned out to be great despite their rating. I would say almost all kids when they are seniors know if they will be able to play D1 football. 5.5 million wouldn't even be close. A few years ago half of the top 50 players selected in the draft were 3* or less when coming out of HS. 2* are the exception, but you fail to realize that most kids are 3* and people don't care because it isn't a 4 or 5. There are probably closer to 1,000 kids who are 2* each year.

Watching their Center/Guards combination come off the ball and just mash our interior DL....I knew after the first 3-4 plays of the game that unless we caused a couple turnovers we were going to lose the game. Their interior push was envious.

Superior talent level overall started and stopped at their O-line for me. I thought our skill guys were better than theirs, but they owned us up front.

Bingo! If you get beat up front, it really doesn't matter how good or great your skill players are. Peyton Manning is a great QB, but back in 97' we made him look rather average. The DL is no different. If you can't get any pressure, it really matters very little how great your DBs are because eventually they'll get beat. We need more and better road graders up front. Unfortunately since Solich, every coach has been a lot more concerned about skill players. Skill players can't display their skills without good blocking up front.

Watching their Center/Guards combination come off the ball and just mash our interior DL....I knew after the first 3-4 plays of the game that unless we caused a couple turnovers we were going to lose the game. Their interior push was envious.

Superior talent level overall started and stopped at their O-line for me. I thought our skill guys were better than theirs, but they owned us up front.

Bingo! If you get beat up front, it really doesn't matter how good or great your skill players are. Peyton Manning is a great QB, but back in 97' we made him look rather average. The DL is no different. If you can't get any pressure, it really matters very little how great your DBs are because eventually they'll get beat. We need more and better road graders up front. Unfortunately since Solich, every coach has been a lot more concerned about skill players. Skill players can't display their skills without good blocking up front.

This has been our struggle for a hot minute. I do feel we have good young OL - C. Davis and Freedom will be good players next season on the DL. We will need someone to step up at the other DT and DE positions. Getting Thomas and Porcher sure helped at DE for the future. Wouldn't hurt to get Daniels to add to the interior

Wadley had one cut back and took it 75 yards - something Newby hasn't done in his whole career.

Considering Newby has done this a couple times this year and more over his career, I don't think your analysis is very objective.

Newby has never had a 75 yard run or longer.

I mean .... really? You're usually pretty straight-forward but you're straining your credibility here. You're really going to nit-pick on the exact yardage? Was he going to get caught on those 60+ yard runs if he had to go 10 more yards?

Missing the forest for the trees. Big time.

• Fire 3

Alex Smith - Utah (QB)

Matt Forte - Tulane (RB)

Victor Cruz - UMASS (WR)

Josh Sitton - UCF (OL)

Alex Mack - CAL (OL)

Mike Iupati - Idaho (OL)

Mike Daniels - Iowa (DE)

Eric Weddle - Utah (DB)

I understand what you are saying, Ern. That 2* recruits who go on to the NFL are very rare—but they do happen.

As for Lavonte, to be fair he was a 4* coming out of Fort Scott C.C. when we signed him. But you're right. He was only a 2* a couple years before that coming out of high school. :thumbs:

I get the feeling people are saying Iowa has more talent because they beat us the way they did.

I call BS on that.

I went back to look at the three big plays that broke our back in the first half. These three plays make up basically 50% of their entire offensive production (201 yards).

75 yard TD run = Banderas should have had the RB tackled in the hole but he over runs the hole. It's an easy cut back that most Div 1 RBs could have made including any of ours. The Safety also over ran the play and is out of position to make a tackle after a decent gain. (our player allowed the play to happen with his mistake)

70 yard reception TD = the Safety is totally out of position and making the wrong move at the snap to be anywhere around the WR when he caught the ball. Not sure what the heck he was thinking there. (our player allowed the play to happen with his mistake)

56 yard run to set up third TD = This is maybe the only one of the three that could be labeled that they just flat out beat us (maybe). Their line got a great push on ours. Newby was in position to make a tackle but a lineman got up field to get a block on him. Gerry was covering a different gap and had to recover to make the tackle 56 yards later. Not sure what the heck Banderas was doing on this play. Didn't make much sense to me.

If those three plays don't happen, this is a totally different game. We are down 20 -3 at half and demoralized. The other 59 plays of the game only accounted for 207 yards of offense.

We were not beat on those three plays because they were so much more physically talented than us. Our guys made mistakes that allowed those plays to be easy.

• Fire 1