The White Establishment

Sure, but it's hard to expect the people who contribute appropriately to society, not to have some sort of animosity to those who don't, yet benefit from other's contributions.

What constitutes a "contribution to society?"

Maybe the best contributions to society are made by Janet the Crazy Cat Lady who lives down the block. She feeds the local strays, but she also volunteers her time to the shelter, gives what meagre funds she has to local charities, and gives turkeys to the local soup kitchen each Thanksgiving.

Maybe the best contributions to society are made by the hoodie-wearing graffiti punks who craft bawdy but astute phrases on the back wall of the CVS the light-rail passes on the way into the city. Not only is it art, but it makes Joe Office Job think a minute on his way into the city.

Maybe the best contributions to society are from the kids who make drums out of buckets and play for tips at the station.

Maybe the best contributions to society are from the grocery store checkers who greet you with a smile every day, even though you don't know their name and don't think twice about them after you pay.

Maybe the best contributions to society aren't cash, or money-related in any way.

I think we all, whether we're Warren Buffet or Janet, benefit from others' contributions.

Maybe the best thing we could do is stop thinking our contributions are greater than anyone else's and act accordingly.

Even if we do want to frame it in terms of money,

"And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

Those were all very uplifting stories, guys. And I'm all for contributions to society, that aren't money related.Hell, today we celebrate a man who greatly impacted society, an impact that was completely absent of financial contributions. Your uplifting examples aside, the fact remains that there are plenty of poor pepole that completely abuse the system for their own financial gain. Sadly, I have a few examples of that within my own family. And I don't thinks it's unreasonable for someone to say "Hey, if you're going to benefit financially from societal contributions, then you ought to be contributing to that reservoir when you are able." Frustration from others, when the system is abused, is completely understandable in my mind. I love that our country has a system in place that helps those who need it in rough times. However, I also believe there is something to the saying "pull yourself up by your bootstraps"....

• Fire 1

Sure, but it's hard to expect the people who contribute appropriately to society, not to have some sort of animosity to those who don't, yet benefit from other's contributions.

Maybe the best contributions to society are made by Janet the Crazy Cat Lady who lives down the block. She feeds the local strays, but she also volunteers her time to the shelter, gives what meagre funds she has to local charities, and gives turkeys to the local soup kitchen each Thanksgiving.

Maybe the best contributions to society are made by the hoodie-wearing graffiti punks who craft bawdy but astute phrases on the back wall of the CVS the light-rail passes on the way into the city. Not only is it art, but it makes Joe Office Job think a minute on his way into the city.

Maybe the best contributions to society are from the kids who make drums out of buckets and play for tips at the station.

Maybe the best contributions to society are from the grocery store checkers who greet you with a smile every day, even though you don't know their name and don't think twice about them after you pay.

Maybe the best contributions to society aren't cash, or money-related in any way.

I think we all, whether we're Warren Buffet or Janet, benefit from others' contributions.

Maybe the best thing we could do is stop thinking our contributions are greater than anyone else's and act accordingly.

Hallmark Card quality here Knapp. Kudos :thumbs

Exactly! Everyone contribution is equal.

Ummmm.....no.

• Fire 2

Exactly! Everyone contribution is equal.

Ummmm.....no.

Trust me, I know :)