Gerry is suspended for bowl game

BoKnowsD

This is another area Pelini doesn't get near the credit he should. Academics. He stressed them and did monitoring and classroom checks.

Nebraska has a strong history of academic All Americans, long before Riley or Pelini.

Riley got a bowl game thanks to Pelini stressing academic accountability.

........and we even get to listen to Eichorst talk about Riley's "leadership"......

These are grown men on the football team, why do we need to follow them around and make sure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing? Accountability and responsibility for your own actions, I love it that Riley is teaching this because far too often people don't think these things matter.

• Fire 1

We don't know the details - he may have had a class (as I did there many years ago) that had zero tests/quizes/attendance but instead depended totally on a final essay ... I went to all the classes and still got a D.

I'm not ready to blame Riley et all for Gerry's failure - we could look at the overall success academically and in the classroom of the entire rest of the team and I think that's fair ... then the blame or the credit goes on the student athlete and how they've made them most of what's been given to them.

You're overlooking the information that's been shared about his attitude and impressions of the DC and others. It sounds as if there was a lot going on in this kid's head.

• Fire 1

If you don't want to work in the classroom you can go back home simple as that. It's part of being a student athlete.

Agreed.

So how did this become news in December instead of October? That's on Riley and team leadership.....which is ultimately Riley.

WRONG!!!! And that is your 3rd Whammy!! ;)

It's not on Riley, Riley graduated decades ago, this is ALL on Nathan Gerry. It's Nathan Gerry's responsibility to get himself to class every day and to do his schoolwork. If he doesn't want to go to class then he can go home to South Dakota.

• Fire 3

TheSker is only blaming the coaches because he hates them and wants them gone. He has never once given them a chance and won't because he decided they weren't worthy before they ever got to campus.

Yep. He exists to crap on this staff at every turn.....and there's his problem. I actually agree that the staff shares some of the blame regarding Gerry f'ing off his last semester. The staff SHOULD have someone monitoring every player's academic performance. That criticism is absolutely legitimate. Where TheSker and his compatriots go wrong (and they're too dense to realize it) is that they blame the staff in excess for everything that goes wrong......NG being the latest example of their excess.

When they do that, it just makes it that much easier to ignore ANYTHING they say, even on those occasions when their posts have some merit. "Oh, it came from THAT guy? IGNORE"

Most of us are not blind to the failings of this staff......I know I'm not. But I will not go into those failings just because the haters will take over a thread and beat it to death.

Oh, and Cav gets one more year to prove he can get the job done. If not, "Read" his fanny to the curb. (Ya, I know I said I wouldn't say anything about the staff. Consider this a trap......)

This is another area Pelini doesn't get near the credit he should. Academics. He stressed them and did monitoring and classroom checks.

Nebraska has a strong history of academic All Americans, long before Riley or Pelini.

Riley got a bowl game thanks to Pelini stressing academic accountability.

........and we even get to listen to Eichorst talk about Riley's "leadership"......

These are grown men on the football team, why do we need to follow them around and make sure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing? Accountability and responsibility for your own actions, I love it that Riley is teaching this because far too often people don't think these things matter.

Wait, are they men or kids, I get confused?

I don't think that there is any question that Nate is responsible for this. His actions were unacceptable.

But everything that happens in the football program in the end is Riley's responsibility. If not, then what are we paying him millions of dollars for? I can't believe how every failure that happens under him is blamed on someone or something else as the excuse train rolls down the track.

The previous coach had no issues ensuring that his players attended class and got acceptable grades. Why is it so hard for our current coach who has tons of experience to do the same?

Nobody I worked for in college ever checked my grades. Sure Riley should check the grades, maybe require them all to live in a dorm on campus to enforce 10 pm lights out too. He can wipe their noses and butts for them too.

This sort of stuff is why the NCAA has to be so over involved in every aspect. It's probably a good reason for the NCAA not allowing to pay them. Because then Riley would have to track their spending too.

So on top of Gerry hosing his team mates by not being there, they can thank him for extra study hall and tighter scrutiny next season.

If you don't want to work in the classroom you can go back home simple as that. It's part of being a student athlete.

Agreed.

So how did this become news in December instead of October? That's on Riley and team leadership.....which is ultimately Riley.

WRONG!!!! And that is your 3rd Whammy!! ;)

It's not on Riley, Riley graduated decades ago, this is ALL on Nathan Gerry. It's Nathan Gerry's responsibility to get himself to class every day and to do his schoolwork. If he doesn't want to go to class then he can go home to South Dakota.

Exactly right. Gerry is an adult. He gets full responsibility.

To some, the players are grown men - until they do something wrong, at which point they turn into kids, who can't handle being blamed or held accountable.

+1

The worst part is when it turns into that they are "coached" to make mistakes and miss tackles, throw a YOLO instead of the open guy to move the sticks. You can teach them what to do on the field so much and ultimately it is up to them to preform. It's the same in the classroom and in life. There is no excuse for not being ineligible with all of the support that student athletes get. It was a conscious decision by Gerry to skip class and that is on nobody but him. Nobody has the time to hold every players hand and walk them to class. And he was held accountable for his selfish decisions by being kicked off the team for his last game. He thinks he is going to the NFL so NU didn't matter anymore, well I think he is going to be in for a surprise once he sees the athletes that he is competing with at the combine and that the NFL is far from a sure thing for him.

• Fire 1

Nobody I worked for in college ever checked my grades. Sure Riley should check the grades, maybe require them all to live in a dorm on campus to enforce 10 pm lights out too.

If his job performance depends on it, he should be checking on the academic status of his players.

Riley's doesn't.

But everything that happens in the football program in the end is Riley's responsibility. If not, then what are we paying him millions of dollars for? I can't believe how every failure that happens under him is blamed on someone or something else as the excuse train rolls down the track.

It is the players responsibility to go to class and get their schoolwork done. Legally, they young men are adults now and actions have consequences. Or in this case, a lack of action. This is a lesson to everyone else on the team. Gerry's attitude will likely cost him a ton of money in the NFL, if he even still gets a shot after this. I applaude Riley and his staff for teaching responsibility and accountability. Nate Gerry knew what would happen if he didn't pass his classes and he pissed away his opportunity to play in the bowl game anyway.

Nobody I worked for in college ever checked my grades. Sure Riley should check the grades, maybe require them all to live in a dorm on campus to enforce 10 pm lights out too.

If his job performance depends on it, he should be checking on the academic status of his players.
Riley's doesn't.

Maybe that explains his poor coaching record and his Nebraska team's under-performing.

Riley's doesn't.

Maybe that explains his poor coaching record and his Nebraska team's under-performing.

Record-wise, I think we performed right where most folks on this board thought we would. Unless they all lied in the poll, most folks had us finishing 9-4 or 10-3.