Gerry is suspended for bowl game

BoKnowsD

I bet his professors don't like Riley or Gerry and hate all football jocks and found a way to fail Gerry. There's no way he failed all of his classes on purpose, otherwise he had to have tried failing his finals as one last eff you to SE for firing Bo.

That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

I'm pretty sure you missed the sarcasm. :)

• Fire 1

I bet his professors don't like Riley or Gerry and hate all football jocks and found a way to fail Gerry. There's no way he failed all of his classes on purpose, otherwise he had to have tried failing his finals as one last eff you to SE for firing Bo.

So...now the faculty is out to get Riley?

No, they are just out to get you. So don't ever go back to Lincoln or they will catch you.

So...now the faculty is out to get Riley?

No, they are just out to get you. So don't ever go back to Lincoln or they will catch you.

I can picture them chasing my down by the Union!

I am confused...Nate sucks at football and is poison to the team...yet people are mad that he wasn't playing? Hmmm I 100% agree that your grades are your responsibility. I also think that if I am the CEO of a multi-million dollar company and if my company doing well is dependent on the "workers" to be eligible, I am going to have rules and procedures in place. Just like the "workers" are "forced" to hydrate after practice and before they get on a plane and they have to eat certain things from the training table at every meal... With that said...you actually have to try to get an F so more than likely he was not going to pass no matter what.

Bravo.That being said, I've yet to see one person not say that Nate was at fault for this. Not one.
I guess you didn't read TheSkers comments, he thinks this is all on Riley for not babysitting every one of his players.
Of course Gerry is responsible for his decision. "Babysitting" is a word you're using in an attempt to distract from the basic responsibility Riley has to have basic systems in place regarding the academics of his players. Riley is not the only coach on staff. Perhaps Brian Stewart or Mark Banker should have the responsibility to know where their smaller number of players are academically. After all, it affects eligibility of scholarship, right? My bigger point is Riley should have been aware of this well before December. It's more than slightly ironic that Riley can thank Pelini's accountability for Riley making the bowl game last season. At this point, who's at fault matters less than it showing Riley may not exactly be the "leader" Eichorst keeps referring to.
At what point do you let players who are grown men, be responsible for themselves? At what point do you stop "checking up" on them? (And that IS babysitting them.)I'd bet Riley has told the team repeatedly that not only is it THEIR responsibility to to get to class and get their schoolwork done but also that the coaches wouldn't be following up because they ARE grown men. This staff keeps telling these guys to "do the right thing" and Gerry not going to class is him NOT doing the right thing, it's Gerry NOT doing what his coaches are telling him....again.Your last line reveals your agenda yet again. It's all about the coaches and their failures (both real and imagined) for you. And this is one of those imagined failures because the coaches are teaching these guys to be responsible adults and all you can see is failure.I pity people like you who are so negative they can't enjoy the things they profess to love.

At pretty much every company the superiors are ultimately responsible for the performance of their subordinates.

If the subordinates aren't doing their job satisfactorily its up to the superiors to ensure that the job performance improves, somehow, some way.

I'm pretty sure you missed the sarcasm. :)

It appears this thread had already jumped the shark, just adding a plot twist. For poops and chortles

I'm guessing what happened is that he failed a final or finals

I'm guessing he just stopped going to classes altogether after a few weeks.
I wouldn't doubt if he started skipping after the Iowa game, but according to a friend of mine on the tennis team, if you miss even one class without a legit excuse, the academic advisors for the athletes will find out and rip them hard for missing.
I taught student athletes at UNL. I was never asked by anyone to tell on them (nor did I even know who to tell) if they didn't attend and if I had been I didn't have time for that sh#t and professors most certainly don't. Instructors/professors aren't babysitters either. Some might care if people miss classes and take away from a participation grade but they're not gonna take time out to report their students to someone else.

The only thing I did have was a midterm report where I would enter their grade on a piece of paper and could make comments if I wanted to. That was just once a semester.

I don't know who else would tell on them for not attending. I never had an athlete's advisor show up to class either... that's the only other thing I can think of unless athletes' classmates are a bunch of jerks.

I wouldn't doubt if he started skipping after the Iowa game, but according to a friend of mine on the tennis team, if you miss even one class without a legit excuse, the academic advisors for the athletes will find out and rip them hard for missing.

Dude, but that's tennis. Football is under Riley, and he doesn't give a rats ass about a kids grades and how they live their life.... did I do that right guys?

I am confused...Nate sucks at football and is poison to the team...yet people are mad that he wasn't playing? Hmmm I 100% agree that your grades are your responsibility. I also think that if I am the CEO of a multi-million dollar company and if my company doing well is dependent on the "workers" to be eligible, I am going to have rules and procedures in place. Just like the "workers" are "forced" to hydrate after practice and before they get on a plane and they have to eat certain things from the training table at every meal... With that said...you actually have to try to get an F so more than likely he was not going to pass no matter what.

Bravo.That being said, I've yet to see one person not say that Nate was at fault for this. Not one.
I guess you didn't read TheSkers comments, he thinks this is all on Riley for not babysitting every one of his players.
Of course Gerry is responsible for his decision. "Babysitting" is a word you're using in an attempt to distract from the basic responsibility Riley has to have basic systems in place regarding the academics of his players. Riley is not the only coach on staff. Perhaps Brian Stewart or Mark Banker should have the responsibility to know where their smaller number of players are academically. After all, it affects eligibility of scholarship, right? My bigger point is Riley should have been aware of this well before December. It's more than slightly ironic that Riley can thank Pelini's accountability for Riley making the bowl game last season. At this point, who's at fault matters less than it showing Riley may not exactly be the "leader" Eichorst keeps referring to.
At what point do you let players who are grown men, be responsible for themselves? At what point do you stop "checking up" on them? (And that IS babysitting them.)I'd bet Riley has told the team repeatedly that not only is it THEIR responsibility to to get to class and get their schoolwork done but also that the coaches wouldn't be following up because they ARE grown men. This staff keeps telling these guys to "do the right thing" and Gerry not going to class is him NOT doing the right thing, it's Gerry NOT doing what his coaches are telling him....again.Your last line reveals your agenda yet again. It's all about the coaches and their failures (both real and imagined) for you. And this is one of those imagined failures because the coaches are teaching these guys to be responsible adults and all you can see is failure.I pity people like you who are so negative they can't enjoy the things they profess to love.
At pretty much every company the superiors are ultimately responsible for the performance of their subordinates.

If the subordinates aren't doing their job satisfactorily its up to the superiors to ensure that the job performance improves, somehow, some way.

I think they took care of problem. Gerrys Husker career is over.

Dude, but that's tennis. Football is under Riley, and he doesn't give a rats ass about a kids grades and how they live their life.... did I do that right guys?
close enough
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting tid-bit from the OWH:

Nebraska’s defense, as the season wore on, did not emulate that. Its best player, safety and captain Nate Gerry, was suspended for the Music City Bowl because he was academically ineligible, a budding issue about which both Riley and Banker — more directly responsible — were aware during the season. And the defense looked especially overmatched in the Music City Bowl loss, when Tennessee racked up 38 points despite Vol receivers dropping two sure touchdowns. After that game, Banker said NU’s talent had to improve.