Gerry is suspended for bowl game

BoKnowsD

Yup. I had Tanner Farmer and freedom akinmoladun in my philosophy class this semester. Neither missed a class that they were able to attend (the Monday after tanners injury, he came trotting in gingerly on crutches), and both sat as close to the front of the lecture hall as they could. Not one time did one of the coaches come to make sure they were there. Stop making excuses for Gerry.

As a college student, I was not on scholarship and was taking out student loans to pay for college. That I was going to be paying for eventually, not my parents, me....

Therefore, I didn't sit on my hands in my dorm room beating off. I went to class and drank beer when I wasn't so that I could graduate. This is Gerrys fault. If I would've f'd UP and failed out of college, it would've been mine. Not my parents, professors, roommates.... get this in your head.

This is just odd to me. I agree with you that this is Nate's fault and no excuses can be made for him. That being said, I do have interest on how this could've gone undetected. What exactly is being monitored and tracked for academic performance? When I played ball all freshman were required to be in study until they had a 3.0. That could only be acheieved by end of 1st semester (unless you enrolled early in January). Upperclassmen below a 2.49 were required to stay in study hall until they surpassed a 2.5. Midterm grades we monitored and if you failed courses in the previous semester you were automatically in study hall and provided assistance to ensure you stayed on track to graduate. Since we were already on campus for summer conditioning, you took classes. If you were on track it put you ahead, if you were behind it was an opportunity to get makeup credit.

I think Rileys staff should allow freedom to those that are taking care of their business, but if you have shown an inability to pass your classes the coaches should scrutinize those player to the same extent or more as someone that is struggling with the playbook.

As a college student, I was not on scholarship and was taking out student loans to pay for college. That I was going to be paying for eventually, not my parents, me....

Therefore, I didn't sit on my hands in my dorm room beating off. I went to class and drank beer when I wasn't so that I could graduate. This is Gerrys fault. If I would've f'd UP and failed out of college, it would've been mine. Not my parents, professors, roommates.... get this in your head.

This is just odd to me. I agree with you that this is Nate's fault and no excuses can be made for him. That being said, I do have interest on how this could've gone undetected. What exactly is being monitored and tracked for academic performance? When I played ball all freshman were required to be in study until they had a 3.0. That could only be acheieved by end of 1st semester (unless you enrolled early in January). Upperclassmen below a 2.49 were required to stay in study hall until they surpassed a 2.5. Midterm grades we monitored and if you failed courses in the previous semester you were automatically in study hall and provided assistance to ensure you stayed on track to graduate. Since we were already on campus for summer conditioning, you took classes. If you were on track it put you ahead, if you were behind it was an opportunity to get makeup credit.

I think Rileys staff should allow freedom to those that are taking care of their business, but if you have shown an inability to pass your classes the coaches should scrutinize those player to the same extent or more as someone that is struggling with the playbook.

Shoot, Frats even make you do that!

At NU student-athletes can get whatever help they need in their studies, they just don't get help with making it to class under Riley. They have to make that effort on their own and I don't think that is unreasonable.

I'm guessing what happened is that he failed a final or finals

I'm guessing he just stopped going to classes altogether after a few weeks.
I wouldn't doubt if he started skipping after the Iowa game, but according to a friend of mine on the tennis team, if you miss even one class without a legit excuse, the academic advisors for the athletes will find out and rip them hard for missing.

I'm guessing what happened is that he failed a final or finals

I'm guessing he just stopped going to classes altogether after a few weeks.
I wouldn't doubt if he started skipping after the Iowa game, but according to a friend of mine on the tennis team, if you miss even one class without a legit excuse, the academic advisors for the athletes will find out and rip them hard for missing.
I hear what you are saying, but for a senior they probably don't care too much about if he's going to class.

I bet his professors don't like Riley or Gerry and hate all football jocks and found a way to fail Gerry. There's no way he failed all of his classes on purpose, otherwise he had to have tried failing his finals as one last eff you to SE for firing Bo.

That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

So...now the faculty is out to get Riley?