Allow Redshirts & Transfers to Play in Bowl Games?

Mavric

I'm against it in general.

However, if more and more seniors opt out, then let the younger kids play.

That's the thing, we are seeing more and more players leaving early or opting out of bowl games to preserve their future earning potential. If the NCAA can't stop that (which they can't) then it makes sense to let the transfers and redshirts play. It would create more interest in the bowl games and therefore translate to more $$'s for CFB. That appears to align well with their main concerns. It doesn't have anything to do with "student" athletes or promoting fair play anymore so I say go for it.

Only thing is Vegas may not like it so that could be the death knell.

That's the thing, we are seeing more and more players leaving early or opting out of bowl games to preserve their future earning potential. If the NCAA can't stop that (which they can't) then it makes sense to let the transfers and redshirts play. It would create more interest in the bowl games and therefore translate to more $$'s for CFB. That appears to align well with their main concerns. It doesn't have anything to do with "student" athletes or promoting fair play anymore so I say go for it.

How about a 1 for 1 swap?

Three players opt out = three red shirt/transfer opt in. Not for the play offs.

No these guys didn't earn it.

How about a 1 for 1 swap?

Three players opt out = three red shirt/transfer opt in. Not for the play offs.

That makes sense but I think would complicate it unnecessarily. I'd be for either allowing it or not allowing it, without the stipulation. Heck, the SEC would start forcing players out to get around it anyway so probably no need to try to make it fair and sensible. That would just hamstring the straight shooters.

I think it's a great idea. Exclude the playoff teams and go for it. Actually, I wasn't sure redshirts were prohibited from playing in the bowls. I almost asked that very question on HB a couple weeks ago but I didn't want to look stupid. Figured it would come up naturally considering our current issues at quarterback. The bowl would be a great opportunity to get Lee and POB an early segue into next season.

I completely agree. Given that the 4 playoff bowls are the only thing that really matters in the big picture.

As do I. I have no interest in this year's bowl game at all. I'm not going to bother to try and get off work to watch it. This would pique my interest.

I think it's a great idea. Exclude the playoff teams and go for it. Actually, I wasn't sure redshirts were prohibited from playing in the bowls. I almost asked that very question on HB a couple weeks ago but I didn't want to look stupid. Figured it would come up naturally considering our current issues at quarterback. The bowl would be a great opportunity to get Lee and POB an early segue into next season.

I completely agree. Given that the 4 playoff bowls are the only thing that really matters in the big picture.
As do I. I have no interest in this year's bowl game at all. I'm not going to bother to try and get off work to watch it. This would pique my interest.
you make it really hard to believe that you're actually a fan.
  • Fire 4

you make it really hard to believe that you're actually a fan.
Yea, I'm still going to watch the bowl game cause I love Nebraska. I just know that it doesn't mean anything to the National Championship picture.