CFB Commissioners: Games Are Too Long

Mavric

In just four seasons, the average length of games increased seven minutes, from 3:17 in 2013 to 3:24 this season. This has occurred even though the number of plays have remained virtually the same: 143 plays per game in 2013, 142.6 plays per game in 2016.

These were some of the most common suggestions on how to shorten the games: a running clock on first downs (until the final two or five minutes of each half); shortening halftime; limiting the number of replays; reducing the number of timeouts; a shorter play clock; changing in-game substitution rules; and limiting the number of commercial breaks.

One Power 5 coach, who wished to remain anonymous, had the most radical suggestion of all. "Shorten the quarters from 15 minutes to 12 minutes," he said.

ESPN

I hate to say it, but Mike Leach was the only person mentioned in the article that addressed the actual problem. Get rid of that TV official and I bet the games will speed up to the mark they want. I laugh when the refs announce that a timeout will be a 30 second timeout because it doesn't matter, the network is going to go to a 2 minute commercial break either way.

• Fire 3

Commercials take a lot of time but I'm not sure they take more than NFL games and those are barely over 3 hours.

I would say the best option is simply to use the NFL timing rules. At least until the last few minutes of each half. But it sounds like a lot of coaches don't want to reduce the number of plays and that would cut several off. Not sure how they go forward from there.

Commercials take a lot of time but I'm not sure they take more than NFL games and those are barely over 3 hours.

I would say the best option is simply to use the NFL timing rules. At least until the last few minutes of each half. But it sounds like a lot of coaches don't want to reduce the number of plays and that would cut several off. Not sure how they go forward from there.

Joel Klatt has been pushing for NFL clock rules, except for last 2 minutes of each half, for the college game. He said it would decrease the length of each game, and it would increase the safety for the players.

The safety part of it has to do with the following math. If the new clock rules are able to reduce the number of snaps by 10%, that would result in the equivalent of a little over 1 fewer game for the players over the entire season. This should reduce the number of injuries (including concussions).

If the targeting rule that is currently enforced is done to "ensure player safety", the college football powers could have greater impact by implementing new clock rules.

• Fire 1

When people bring up commercials, it's a flawed argument. The NFL games have more commercial breaks, compared to college football. The NFL is guaranteed 5 commercial breaks per quarter, while the college games only have 4 guaranteed commercial breaks. That is why you often see the sequence of "score-commercial break-kickoff-commercial break-offense starts a new drive" in the NFL.

• Fire 2

The coaches who argue against reducing the number of plays are most likely the coaches who are able to recruit more talent. The argument is that the longer the game goes or the more plays a game has, the team with the most talent has a greater chance of winning. The more talented teams want a greater number of possessions and plays.

• Fire 1

It's radical and will never happen, but I'd like to see all replays gone.

No reviews (which is why no replays, in the stadium on the big board, or on TV). Whatever the call is, it stands. It just seems there is no flow to games any more because of all the stoppages for reviews.

Replay reviews enhance the game. I would love to go back and have replay review in the 1982 NU-Penn State game or the 1994 Orange Bowl against Florida State (William Floyd fumble at goal line).

The simple fix would be to keep the clock running after first downs in the field of play.

• Fire 2

It's radical and will never happen, but I'd like to see all replays gone.

No reviews (which is why no replays, in the stadium on the big board, or on TV). Whatever the call is, it stands. It just seems there is no flow to games any more because of all the stoppages for reviews.

Replay reviews enhance the game. I would love to go back and have replay review in the 1982 NU-Penn State game or the 1994 Orange Bowl against Florida State (William Floyd fumble at goal line).

The simple fix would be to keep the clock running after first downs in the field of play.

I'm not sure they enhance the game. Sure, we'd all like those two calls to have been reviewed. I figured that would be the first thing mentioned. But I'm also sure we're all forgetting calls that would be reviewed against us too.

I'm on board with wanting the calls correct. But, to me anyway, it's gone too far. Too many stoppages. Heck, now there are occasions where the officials on the field don't make any call, just wait for the "booth" to decide.

I'd just like to see the officials make the call, and that's the call. Are you going to get hosed on occasion, absolutely. Just as often as you will benefit. The calls will even out.

The clock stopping after first downs is one of the basics of college ball. I would hate to take something away that is unique to CFB as opposed to the NFL.