Trump Inauguration

This one was funny, Dewiz. The other... not so much.

Thanks. I know it was in poor taste but it's still funny. Sometimes I wish people weren't so sensitive all the time. Not calling you sensitive though just throwing that out there

Fair warning, I'm going to be overly analytical here, but I think it needs clearing up. I don't see how you can post something intentionally hostile and demeaning and then act perplexed that it's had the obvious effect. The flak you got was fair for the content of your posts, which can be summarized as "isn't it hilarious to berate obese women"? That's not this crowd, I hope.

It's not sensitivity, either. Jokes are statements about who we are; appeals to a common perspective, which is why your second one works for everyone who likes to celebrate their disdain for Hillary (and why mean-spirited Trump jokes work, but are also not beyond criticism). I'm not personally hurt in any way by the stuff you or teach might post, for example. But I'm more than happy to emphatically reject the request to join an in-group I want no part of.

This is every objection to every "joke", and I hope that makes sense, and we can move beyond this wafer-thin sensitive-or-not argument that seems to crop up every time.

• Fire 4

-He is not Hitler. Making comparisons between him and Fascism is completely sickening, because we all know that will never happen to our country.

Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it. Go look at what the Germany people were saying about Hitler as he rose to power. You'll see they didn't think it could happen either.
Germany was in the dumps after losing WW1, and unlike this process, most people were on board with Hitler. If Trump is truly fascist (he's not), then he will have a lot of blockades before we even come close to how Nazi Germany was.

-He is not Hitler. Making comparisons between him and Fascism is completely sickening, because we all know that will never happen to our country.

Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it. Go look at what the Germany people were saying about Hitler as he rose to power. You'll see they didn't think it could happen either.
Germany was in the dumps after losing WW1, and unlike this process, most people were on board with Hitler. If Trump is truly fascist (he's not), then he will have a lot of blockades before we even come close to how Nazi Germany was.

Most people were making fun of Hitler as a ridiculous choice for government during his rise to power. And asserting that Trump isn't fascist doesn't make it so.

I certainly hope we have more blockades if he or his cohorts are fascists, but history tells me that all countries eventually fall, and authoritarian takeovers of governments is not uncommon. I suggest we hope for the best but remain vigilant for the worst.

EDIT: Here's an article by an expert in Nazism about the similarities of Trump and Hitler: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/10/expert-on-nazism-explains-the-shocking-similarities-between-trump-and-hitlers-propaganda-tactics/

Most people were making fun of Hitler as a ridiculous choice for government during his rise to power. And asserting that Trump isn't fascist doesn't make it so.

I certainly hope we have more blockades if he or his cohorts are fascists, but history tells me that all countries eventually fall, and authoritarian takeovers of governments is not uncommon. I suggest we hope for the best but remain vigilant for the worst.

EDIT: Here's an article by an expert in Nazism about the similarities of Trump and Hitler: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/10/expert-on-nazism-explains-the-shocking-similarities-between-trump-and-hitlers-propaganda-tactics/

This is the 21st century. Not happening. And a fear mongering article from a non-credible site won't convince me otherwise.

The German govt was in disarray after WWI and the Treaty of Versailes basically gave individiuals the opportunity for a takeover. Thats why Hitler was able to take over. People who think this can happen in the U.S. at the present time need to get back in touch with reality. Trump becoming president does not mean this will become Nazi Germany. He will be impeached far before that is ever able to happen. And this is coming from someone who doesnt have a dog in this fight.

• Fire 1

The German govt was in disarray after WWI and the Treaty of Versailes basically gave individiuals the opportunity for a takeover. Thats why Hitler was able to take over. People who think this can happen in the U.S. at the present time need to get back in touch with reality. Trump becoming president does not mean this will become Nazi Germany. He will be impeached far before that is ever able to happen. And this is coming from someone who doesnt have a dog in this fight.

OMG...Rational

This is the 21st century. Not happening. And a fear mongering article from a non-credible site won't convince me otherwise.

Then go do the research on your own. Make up your own mind. All I'm saying is don't ASSUME it's impossible.

Again, I'm not saying that this will happen or is even likely. Just that it's not impossible.

Literally Nazi Germany is a pretty faraway bar to clear.Surely there are lesser ones that we're still not okay with.

Honestly, as some that has very close family members that had to run from that...it makes me upset that it is even allowed as a comparison. I am sure you agree.

Why can't we discuss it? Isn't that the first step in making sure it doesn't happen again?

I had relatives that fled as well as some that didn't make it out - that doesn't change anything about the discussion.

Literally Nazi Germany is a pretty faraway bar to clear.Surely there are lesser ones that we're still not okay with.

Honestly, as some that has very close family members that had to run from that...it makes me upset that it is even allowed as a comparison. I am sure you agree.

Why can't we discuss it? Isn't that the first step in making sure it doesn't happen again?

I had relatives that fled as well as some that didn't make it out - that doesn't change anything about the discussion.

The comparison is the issue...for me! Maybe just me

To be clear, I'm comparing the rise to power of the two, not the terrible things Hitler did after that. It remains to be seen what Trump will actually do. And what we will and will not allow him to do.

To be clear, I'm comparing the rise to power of the two, not the terrible things Hitler did after that. It remains to be seen what Trump will actually do. And what we will and will not allow him to do.

Thank you.i feel like nazi Germany should be a separate thread. Thanks again

Germany was harshly punished through the Versailles treaty after WWI. The economic sanctions crippled them, they were scapegoated by most of the major powers for causing the war (unfairly, as it was a combination of factors), and they were downtrodden as a people during the 1920s while the rest of Europe and America enjoyed what was for them a very prosperous decade. Hitler convinced Germany that he could make them great again by restoring Germany to its rightful place in the world, as a leader and as the best people on Earth.

Trump doesn't have to be Fascist (he's not), nor does he have to be the second coming of Hitler (he's not) to have used a lot of the techniques that Hitler and Goebbels used in order to gain power. Hitler was known for making passionate speeches, often incoherent but very rousing, which inspired his followers. Hitler was a master of bending the truth, and the Big Lie was one of his main tactics. People ate it up because Germany was, truly, a squashed society.

Is America squashed? Nope, not by a long shot. But we've been told for eight years that we were. It has been the plan of the Republicans to instill in their followers as much fear (Obama's from Kenya! He's going to take your guns! He's Muslim!) into them as possible. It worked. The White America who consumes Fox News, Brietbart, The Blaze, et al, is afraid of Blacks, Hispanics, Muslims... basically, them. Anyone not us is them, and they are scary. Why? Because you've been told they are throughout Obama's tenure.

Most Germans, in fact, were not on board with Hitler. But by the time he came to power he had already established a pattern of violence that those not under his spell were scared of. It's not an easy thing to go against the establishment (which, side note, is why I think it's commendable for those Conservatives on this board who believe the "Liberal Mods" are squashing dissent to speak up. I don't agree with them at all, but I respect their right to dissent in the face of what they perceive to be long odds), and your average German citizen wasn't about to get his head bashed in to resist the Brown Shirts, and later the Nazi party. But enough Germans were convinced that Hitler could make them great again that they voted his party into power, and at that point it was too late. By the time most of Germany woke up to the ugly realization that a despot had seized power, there was already an army buildup, a secret police and the means to quell political dissent.

By the time anyone realized what was happening, it was too late to speak up. Speaking up meant death. Who's going to speak up at that point?

Let's be clear. Trump is not Hitler. Trump is not going to form secret police and he's not going to disappear people in the night. But that doesn't mean we don't need to be vigilant just in case.

• Fire 4