Tangent Thread - January 2017 Edition

cornstar

"They were fantastic his first year, crazy better than the year before"... Wrong.

This is why you don't allow incorrect information to be splattered around.

In 2013... the year before Diaco was hired at UConn... UConn had the No.27 ranked Defense in the country... which is a higher ranking than at any time while Diaco was coaching at UConn.

Those in glass houses...

In 2013 UConn was the #85 scoring D and #65 total D.

So you're not even close. Care to explain how you're not trolling and misrepresenting the facts?

According to the link you provided...

In 2013... UConn was ranked 51st in Total D.

51=27???? Damn, that common core math really is a lot different.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalYards/year/2013

"They were fantastic his first year, crazy better than the year before"... Wrong.

In 2013... the year before Diaco was hired at UConn... UConn had the No.27 ranked Defense in the country... which is a higher ranking than at any time while Diaco was coaching at UConn.

Those in glass houses...

In 2013 UConn was the #85 scoring D and #51 total D.

So you're not even close. Care to explain how you're not trolling and misrepresenting the facts?

EDIT: Fixed the total D rank and strike out the rest as we have conflicting sources of information that disagree.

Your integrity is duly noted and much appreciated.

Steve Pederson has been gone for nearly 10 years. He has nothing to do with this team's "grasping at straws".

I also believe firing the two most maligned coaches, who happen to be long-time friends, is not grasping at straws. It's doing what it takes to field a championship caliber team. Time will tell if it works.

I think the questions most people are asking is:

Why did he hire those people in the first place if they weren't championship caliber coaches ?

Did we throw the last 2 years away because he hired his friends ?

I suspect that he thought Mark Banker deserved a chance with better resources, better players, etc. because Mike knows that Mark is a good coach. It is possible that Mike Riley realized that Nebraska needs a great coach or simply a change to the 3-4 because we aren't recruiting DL that seem to be everywhere in the SEC. While watching those DL during the National Championship game I thought to myself that we don't have guys anywhere near the athletic ability and talent of those DL. I also thought how the hell can we get those guys. I think the answer is that you don't bank on getting those guys and move to a defense like the 3-4 and give your players every chance to be successful due to the uncertainty that it creates in the offensive blocking schemes and the QB. I suspect that Wisconsin runs the 3-4 for that exact reason. Not a lot of Simeon Rice like DE running around in WI and none in NE either. I'm sure that Mark Banker's defense would have been amazing with the Grant W., Adam C., Suh, etc. Was there any DC available in 15 that could have been hired to run the 3-4. I don't know but I trust that Mike Riley will get the job done here in Nebraska. GBR

FLHuskerGBR posting style reminds me of 84HuskerLaw's

• Fire 1

Those in glass houses...

Correct. I edited that post.

Well, one thing is for certain. Not all stats, metrics and rankings are created equal.

Did you take a look at last years rankings for Total Defense? Both the NCAA and the other source scored it the same. Boston College had the best defense in the country last year... No 1.

Only problem... Boston College record last year was 3-9. But in Total Defense they were ranked ahead of every other team in the country.

What was their Scoring Defense? 4th... That's right, 1st in Total Defense and 4th in Scoring Defense. Their record... 3-9.

But there's more. What was their Total Offense rank ? 125th... dead last. LOL !

Those rankings put out by the two sources are totally meaningless... including the Scoring Defense rankings.

Those in glass houses...

Well, one thing is for certain. Not all stats, metrics and rankings are created equal.

Did you take a look at last years rankings for Total Defense. Both the NCAA and the other source scored it the same. Boston College had the best defense in the country last year... No 1.

Only problem... Boston College record last year was 3-9. But in total defense they were ranked ahead of every other team in the country.

What was their scoring defense ? 4th... That's right 1st in Total Defense and 4th in scoring defense. Their record... 3-9.

Those rankings put out by the two sources are totally meaningless... including the scoring defense rankings.

I don't think BC having a great defense but a bad team means the stats don't matter. Especially since the current discussion is about Diaco's defense, the conclusion you could draw is that the team's record isn't necessarily a good indication of how well the defense played.

Those in glass houses...

Did you take a look at last years rankings for Total Defense. Both the NCAA and the other source scored it the same. Boston College had the best defense in the country last year... No 1.

Only problem... Boston College record last year was 3-9. But in total defense they were ranked ahead of every other team in the country.

What was their scoring defense ? 4th... That's right 1st in Total Defense and 4th in scoring defense. Their record... 3-9.

Those rankings put out by the two sources are totally meaningless... including the scoring defense rankings.

I don't think BC having a great defense but a bad team means the stats don't matter. Especially since the current discussion is about Diaco's defense, the conclusion you could draw is that the team's record isn't necessarily a good indication of how well the defense played.

You're telling me Boston College had a better defense than Alabama last year?

Those in glass houses...

You're telling me Boston College had a better defense than Alabama last year?

Can you find where I said that?

I for one am on this board because I really really really love husker football...but that's just what a secret paid poster would say....hmmmmm....I know Husker Psycho is right and I am here to shed light on our secret society of paid posters whose only goal is to suppress the wise and knowledgeable posters who know the only way to win championships again is to fire our staff and hire Bill Belichick

• Fire 1