Trump Foreign Policy

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Hey I guess people will be less mad about our expensive drugs if they're just as expensive in Canada and Mexico. Wonder how much $ Trump is getting out of this.

Except collectively Canada will pay for those drugs. Here in the US we get the honor of individually paying for them. :unsure:

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The most important part is probably that it’s NAFTA 2.0, especially after Trump talked endlessly about how awful it is. 

I’m sensing a common theme between this and the North Korea “deal,” and maybe everything Trump does. And maybe, politically, it’s genius.

He derides something, says it’s awful without any details, e.g. acts like North Korea is suddenly extremely dangerous compared to before and starts talking about nuking them. Or here, NAFTA is terrible. He doesn’t give details. You’re just supposed to trust him that it’s terrible.

Then, in both cases, Trump swoops in and “saves the day.”

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The most important part is probably that it’s NAFTA 2.0, especially after Trump talked endlessly about how awful it is. 

These changes definitely don't warrant the total upheaval of the entire agreement.  I don't have a problem with much of these changes.  But, his tactics to getting there is uncalled for.  The ag markets are still at a 10 year low.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

These changes definitely don't warrant the total upheaval of the entire agreement.  I don't have a problem with much of these changes.  But, his tactics to getting there is uncalled for.  The ag markets are still at a 10 year low.

Ya. I wonder about the drug thing. But some of this stuff sounds good. I kinda wonder how much was us compromising (the minimum wage thing and protection for women doesn’t sound like a Trump idea). I added more to the post you quoted.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:19 AM, BigRedBuster said:

They sure are doubling down on this "China is meddling" mantra.

Russia???  Chirp .....chirp.....

A friend of mine thinks part of the reason she is stuck in China, possibly for up to 5 months but at least 1 month and maybe forever, is because of Mike Pence’s speech and the tariffs. I think it’s probably more to do with their president becoming more dictatorial, but she’d probably be arrested if she texted that. 

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

A friend of mine thinks part of the reason she is stuck in China, possibly for up to 5 months but at least 1 month and maybe forever, is because of Mike Pence’s speech and the tariffs. I think it’s probably more to do with their president becoming more dictatorial, but she’d probably be arrested if she texted that. 

Why not both?

That's a bummer for your friend. Even as a native of China I would feel pretty uneasy about being stuck over there with Xi's power grab and increasingly worrisome current events over there. I hope she gets back over here safely sooner rather than later.