The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

Speaking of news.  We all consume a lot of news - esp if you are active in the political forum.  According to this article, the abundance of news is actually polarizing us as a nation.

When there was just Walter (CBS), Chet and David (NBC), Mr Reynolds (ABC) - before the days of cable news, we were less polarized.  Now I see this as a double edged sword - With mass communication, we as individuals can be more choosy and follow our own path - however that leads to a less homogeneous society.  Wt few media sources, we can fall prey to 

a knowledge gap.    In today's world, however, we can see if one network dominates, it can capture a whole segment of the population  - as Fox has wt republicans. 

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article207841309.html

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Speaking of news.  We all consume a lot of news - esp if you are active in the political forum.  According to this article, the abundance of news is actually polarizing us as a nation.

When there was just Walter (CBS), Chet and David (NBC), Mr Reynolds (ABC) - before the days of cable news, we were less polarized.  Now I see this as a double edged sword - With mass communication, we as individuals can be more choosy and follow our own path - however that leads to a less homogeneous society.  Wt few media sources, we can fall prey to 

a knowledge gap.    In today's world, however, we can see if one network dominates, it can capture a whole segment of the population  - as Fox has wt republicans. 

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article207841309.html

I firmly believe this.  

The biggest problem, in my mind, is that with as many outlets for "news" now, people can search for outlets that comply with their preconceived ideas.  This does nothing to educate the populace on a subject, it just builds on their own prejudices and reaffirms their beliefs, even if those beliefs are wrong and should be challenged.  

I posted somewhere on here an article from the NYT about the process the "caravan" story went through to reach the President and become a talking point.  THAT is a major problem.

• Plus1 1

So, funny story.  Michael Cohen, Trump's lawyer, has a "very limited" practice.  As in, he only has three clients in the past calendar year. 

One is Trump. We all knew that.

Another is Elliott Broidy, former deputy finance chairman of the Republican National Committee. If you've been paying attention at all, you know this, too.

But the third client, Cohen wanted to keep secret.  For whatever reasons.

And then the judge in his hearing said, No, you can't keep that client secret.  Tell us who it is.

PLOT TWIST!!!!

iol4ZE4.jpg

• Plus1 3
  • knapplc changed the title to The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine