The Republican Utopia

On 11/17/2020 at 4:32 PM, BlitzFirst said:

To get Obamacare (ACA) passed he actually DID have to work across both parties.  That's something even Bill Clinton didn't get done in spite of having more of a push. 

So you can call BS on it...but as a republican during that time, I saw that Obama did just that.  If anything, I see Obama less as a democrat overall...maybe a Dempublican would be a better description.

About that working across the isle for Obamacare fantasy

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=1&vote=00396

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordable_Health_Care_for_America_Act#House_actions

how can you be taken seriously on anything, when you can’t get basic facts straight:dunno

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

About that working across the isle for Obamacare fantasy

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=1&vote=00396

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordable_Health_Care_for_America_Act#House_actions

how can you be taken seriously on anything, when you can’t get basic facts straight:dunno

There's nothing in there to support your claims.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I guess the actual votes for Obamacare don’t matter.  Hmmmm

Not really. Whether Obama and the Dems "reached across the aisle" is different from how the Repubs ended up voting.

But you might want to find out the difference between your link for the "Affordable Health Care for America Act" and the "Affordable Care Act".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordable_Care_Act

Obama announced to a joint session of Congress in February 2009 his intent to work with Congress to construct a plan for healthcare reform.[140][141] By July, a series of bills were approved by committees within the House of Representatives.[142] On the Senate side, from June to September, the Senate Finance Committee held a series of 31 meetings to develop a proposal. This group—in particular, Democrats Max Baucus, Jeff Bingaman and Kent Conrad, along with Republicans Mike Enzi, Chuck Grassley and Olympia Snowe—met for more than 60 hours, and the principles they discussed, in conjunction with the other committees, became the foundation of a Senate bill.[143][144][145]

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Not really. Whether Obama and the Dems "reached across the aisle" is different from how the Repubs ended up voting.

But you might want to find out the difference between your link for the "Affordable Health Care for America Act" and the "Affordable Care Act".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordable_Care_Act

There is a huge difference between “reaching” across the isle and actually working with the other party to compromise and pass a bi-partisan bill.  But you know that.  Someone can “reach” across the isle and say here’s the bill tell me your ideas and then dismiss every one of them.  

only 1 Republican voted yes for a reason.  Obama close to be partisan and not work across the isle.  

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I know there was a reason. It was an extremely flawed partisan bill.  “ if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor”.  Like I said even the  Democrat light “Maverick”  voted no.  

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I know there was a reason. It was an extremely flawed partisan bill.  “ if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor”.  Like I said even the  Democrat light “Maverick”  voted no.  

Here’s John Boehner, the likely speaker if Republicans take the House, offering his plans for Obama’s agenda: “We're going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell summed up his plan to National Journal: “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

There is a huge difference between “reaching” across the isle and actually working with the other party to compromise and pass a bi-partisan bill.  But you know that.  Someone can “reach” across the isle and say here’s the bill tell me your ideas and then dismiss every one of them.  

only 1 Republican voted yes for a reason.  Obama close to be partisan and not work across the isle.  

@knapplchas already laid out why Repub's didn't voted for ACA. But your claim that Repubs weren't included in creating the bill is just as flawed:

Set the health care record straight: Republicans helped craft Obamacare

A final vote isn't the whole story. It's like researching your ancestry and going no further back than your mother and father.

Let's set the record straight. The Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (known as the HELP Committee), chaired first by Edward Kennedy and later by Christopher Dodd, held 14 bipartisan round-table meetings and 13 public hearings. Democrats on that committee accepted 160 Republican amendments to the bill. The Senate Finance Committee, chaired by Montana Democrat Max Baucus, was writing its own version of the ACA. It held 17 bipartisan round-table sessions, summit meetings and hearings with Republican senators.

On the House side, the Republican leadership made it clear to members that they were not to cooperate in any way with the effort to create the health insurance program proposed by President Obama. McConnell, then the Senate minority leader, was equally disapproving of cooperation. Despite that, a few Republican senators, such as Finance Committee members Charles Grassley of Iowa and Mike Enzi of Wyoming, were in discussions with the Democrats until McConnell warned both men that their future in the party would be in jeopardy if they supported the bill. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Here’s John Boehner, the likely speaker if Republicans take the House, offering his plans for Obama’s agenda: “We're going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell summed up his plan to National Journal: “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/healthcare/223578-obamacare-architect-lack-of-transparency-helped-law-pass%3famp

might be why they chose not to go along

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

@knapplchas already laid out why Repub's didn't voted for ACA. But your claim that Repubs weren't included in creating the bill is just as flawed:

Set the health care record straight: Republicans helped craft Obamacare

An opinion column from a Democrat columnist trying to use revisionist history doesn’t change the fact that Obama did not utilize any bipartisan ideas in the bill.  It’s why only one Republican votes for it and that was after it already had majority support in the House. 

• Plus1 1