The Republican Utopia

8 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

More here:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/08/01/set-health-record-straight-republicans-helped-craft-obamacare-ross-baker-column/523952001/

It's a nice narrative you're spinning on of the massive amounts of work across the aisle that happened.

It's hard for me to take you seriously when you call me out on something that literally took 5 min for me to find on Google.

Not to mention that vast swaths of Obamacare included Republican platform planks, such as universal coverage (HEART Act of 1993), which also included an individual mandate with a penalty provision. 

Which they then conveniently forgot when a Democrat put it in his bill.

• Plus1 3

18 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

An opinion column from a Democrat columnist trying to use revisionist history doesn’t change the fact that Obama did not utilize any bipartisan ideas in the bill.  It’s why only one Republican votes for it and that was after it already had majority support in the House. 

Hey that claim has helpfully already been debunked:

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Not to mention that vast swaths of Obamacare included Republican platform planks, such as universal coverage (HEART Act of 1993), which also included an individual mandate with a penalty provision. 

Which they then conveniently forgot when a Democrat put it in his bill.

I'm also amused that all you can do is claim the writer is biased and haven't refused any of the claims from his article. Are you really going to claim that the 13 public hearings on ACA held by the HELP committee did not actually take place? Seems like something you could easily prove or disprove.

• Plus1 3
48 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

More here:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/08/01/set-health-record-straight-republicans-helped-craft-obamacare-ross-baker-column/523952001/

It's a nice narrative you're spinning on of the massive amounts of work across the aisle that happened.

It's hard for me to take you seriously when you call me out on something that literally took 5 min for me to find on Google.

It’s an opinion columnist. Hehehehe.  Again, there is “reaching across the isle” and ther me is “working across the isle towards a compromise” 

Massive amounts of work across the isle...sure Jan...I guess that’s why Obama was known as the executive order president instead of working to pass actual Bipartisan legislation.  

P.S. I don’t know you and don’t care if you take me seriously or not.  And I’m happy you know how to google opinion articles written by a Democrat.  This one didn’t take long either 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/healthcare/223578-obamacare-architect-lack-of-transparency-helped-law-pass%3famp

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Hey that claim has helpfully already been debunked:

I'm also amused that all you can do is claim the writer is biased and haven't refused any of the claims from his article. Are you really going to claim that the 13 public hearings on ACA held by the HELP committee did not actually take place? Seems like something you could easily prove or disprove.

Isn’t that what you all do to me all the time.  Just refute the source and not what’s in it:dunno

public hearings to do not equate to actually adding in opponent ideas.  

• Plus1 1

Let me try to summarize.  

One party comes out before hand and said they absolutely will not work with the administration and obstruct what ever they try to do.  

the administration tries to reach across the isle but the other party does exactly what they said they were going to do.  

That party cries that it’s a bad bill because it’s partisan and the proof is that nobody from their party voted for it.  

Am I close on this?

• Plus1 3

22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let me try to summarize.  

One party comes out before hand and said they absolutely will not work with the administration and obstruct what ever they try to do.  

the administration tries to reach across the isle but the other party does exactly what they said they were going to do.  

That party cries that it’s a bad bill because it’s partisan and the proof is that nobody from their party voted for it.  

Am I close on this?

You're leaving out the part where the administration/Democrats actually put stuff in the bill that the Republicans wanted. In hindsight they should not have done this, since they didn't get any votes anyway.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

public hearings to do not equate to actually adding in opponent ideas.  

So you admit there were public hearings, but it's just that no Repub ideas were added into the ACA. Except that we can look and see that's not true. And as in usually the case, it's the exact opposite of what Repubs are now claiming.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/21/us/health-care-amendments.html

Additionally, the Democrat-controlled House and Senate committees adopted nearly 190 Republican amendments while writing the legislation, according to data compiled by The New York Times.

In contrast, Democrats have complained that they had no input in creating any of the Republican health care plans proposed this year. Democrats, who have submitted numerous proposals, said they would further participate if Republicans dropped their insistence on repealing the Affordable Care Act.

So Repubs added 190 amendments, slightly more than the zero you're claiming. In fact that zero is actually what the Repubs did. And before you use the usual tired talking point:

Republicans have argued that many of the amendments that they proposed that were adopted in 2009 were procedural instead of substantive. For example, Senator Lisa Murkowski, Republican of Alaska, at the time said that the amendments she introduced successfully “were all technical.”

Many substantive amendments, however, were adopted, including provisions requiring members of Congress to purchase insurance through the public health exchanges and allowing small businesses to band together to provide coverage.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm....he actually names them.  It will be interesting if any of them make a public statement after being mentioned.  

It will be interesting what comes of this.  Like what @BigRedBuster said, will any of them speak out.  I did notice that Carl said he spoke to people around them so maybe that’s their way out to deny?  

I could 3 or 4 say that stuff, Sasse, Murkowski, Collins, Romney, but some of the others seem odd.  Unless they are only referring to post election stuff

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

It will be interesting what comes of this.  Like what @BigRedBuster said, will any of them speak out.  I did notice that Carl said he spoke to people around them so maybe that’s their way out to deny?  

I could 3 or 4 say that stuff, Sasse, Murkowski, Collins, Romney, but some of the others seem odd.  Unless they are only referring to post election stuff

What's interesting is that by naming them, he pretty much is calling their bluff (at least for the ones that haven't spoken out previously).  They should be asked about this by someone.  Either they deny it or confirm it.  

It's time for the spineless Republicans to grow one.

• Plus1 1