Immigration Ban

Senator Chris Murphy from CT wrote an op ed today. It's worth reading for a lot of reasons. Here, he lays out the case that this has made America less safe. I wholeheartedly agree.

This is why todays proposal is likely to get Americans killed.

ISIS, the most dangerous of a global array of radical Islamic terrorist groups, is in retreat. (...)

But ISIS has a second purpose to take part in an imagined global struggle of civilizations between Christians and Muslims. President Obama and President Bush before him knew the danger of stoking talk of war between east and west. Obama knew how important this kind of talk was to ISISs recruitment and expansion, and he went out of his way to tamp it down.

Trump has now handed ISIS a path to rebirth. They can and will use his announcement today as confirmation that America is at war with Muslims, especially those Muslims living in desperate circumstances. Their recruitment bulletin boards will light up with new material. Their entreaties to would-be lone wolf attackers in America will have new energy and purpose.

• Fire 3

Senator Chris Murphy from CT wrote an op ed today. It's worth reading for a lot of reasons. Here, he lays out the case that this has made America less safe. I wholeheartedly agree.

This is why todays proposal is likely to get Americans killed.

ISIS, the most dangerous of a global array of radical Islamic terrorist groups, is in retreat. (...)

But ISIS has a second purpose to take part in an imagined global struggle of civilizations between Christians and Muslims. President Obama and President Bush before him knew the danger of stoking talk of war between east and west. Obama knew how important this kind of talk was to ISISs recruitment and expansion, and he went out of his way to tamp it down.

Trump has now handed ISIS a path to rebirth. They can and will use his announcement today as confirmation that America is at war with Muslims, especially those Muslims living in desperate circumstances. Their recruitment bulletin boards will light up with new material. Their entreaties to would-be lone wolf attackers in America will have new energy and purpose.

No, you worded it correctly. As long as folks do their own homework on the Executive Order as it pertains to Temp ban vs. Perma ban.

As far as getting Americans killed in your quote above, I am not really sure if this does any more harm than the past 'x' years of boots on the ground/bombing/drone strikes.

No, you worded it correctly. As long as folks do their own homework on the Executive Order as it pertains to Temp ban vs. Perma ban.

What homework should we be doing?

In the face of no resistance to this order, why wouldn't he extend it? If we don't protest, if it isn't overturned, why wouldn't he make it permanent, or last as long as whatever arbitrary date he chooses?

• Fire 1

Anybody else getting tired of how warm and fuzzy all of this makes David freakin' Duke?! That alone should make people question the inherent good in these policies.

This is dangerous territory with a would-be authoritarian like Trump. If Murphy is indeed correct and this leads to more attacks from those who wish to harm us, he could easily try to make a play to seize more power under the guise of bringing safety and security.

• Fire 2

"The bible says you two gays can't marry". " as a good Christian I can't support abortion". Same people "Yes Trump! Thanks for stopping those evil middle easter refugees! They are bad"

Jesus was a dirty hippy middle eastern refugee. Just come out and admit you are an uniformed xenophobe

"There's (random number of guns) in the country, if there was an issue you'd know about it. Guess how many Muslims there are in the world you dumb (multiple expletives)

• Fire 3

As far as I can tell, AR Husker Fan's quote in my sig are his own words. And it is rapidly becoming my favorite quote of the last several years.

The failure to condemn is necessarily the act to condone.

I guess it depends what level of condemnation a person accepts as being sufficient to not condone something.

There are many levels of condemnation ranging from silently opposed to armed insurrection in the streets. As an example, I am opposed to many of Trump's stated plans,as I was to many of Obama's but, I don't make all of that opposition known here, or in some cases anywhere. In your opinion, does that mean, because I don't decry something on HB, that I condone it? Between politicians and our government, if that statement is to be taken literally, a person would have to spend an inordinate amount of time condemning things. So, I wonder what level of condemnation is required to satisfy the statement and if it's the same level in all matters.

Ban even applies to those with dual citizenship with an allied country:

Those who hold dual nationality in the seven countries banned from entering the U.S. by President Trump will also be barred from entering the country, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.

The Journal said it got an advance look at a statement by the State Department that the refugee ban extends beyond just citizens of Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Libya and Yemen, but also to people who may originally come from those countries but have a passport from another nation or dual nationality.

Link

• Fire 1