Immigration Ban

3 hours ago, Bornhusker said:

My last comment in this thread.. You originally said they are not leaving, then you found out they do leave and you found out they have left and have migrated to the US.. so you qualify that with "but not very many" and then again with "its actually pretty low". YOU made the claim they are not leaving, I didn't make any claim period.. I said "maybe" because of high taxes and high suicide rates. SO, in reality YOU are the one who has his facts wrong, not me. You dind't disprove anything I said.

First: I didn't engage you.  You engaged me in debate, and I'll defend my position. 

You are right that my statement: "and yet they don't leave" was false in that, basically every country in the world has some level of emigration.  I wasn't claiming that Norway has a 0% emigration rate, so I shouldn't have worded it that way.

What I DID find is that as of 2000, there were fewer than 50,000 Norwegian immigrants living in the USA.  That could be 0, or it could be 49,000.  Either way, when compared with other countries, it is statistically insignificant.  Further, Norway basically leads the world in "Net immigration per capita" which is not an insignificant statistic.

If you are going to take my statement very literally, I'll take yours very literally.  You literally said this:

They also have the highest tax rates, as well as suicide rates.. maybe that would be why?

Thus, your literal statement is that Norway has "the highest tax rates" and "the highest suicide rates".  Both of which are patently false.  They have relatively high taxes, but several European countries are higher.  Their suicide rate is far below the USA.

• Plus1 2
45 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

And now, do you have any evidence to support your immigration ban issues? Or just keep complaining about the opposing side?

Wasn't he complaining about strawmen a page ago? The irony is to rich, I think I need a glass of milk to wash it down with.

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Why the hell would any Norwegian want to immigrate to the US today?  To be free from universal health care and lack of gun violence?

19 hours ago, Bornhusker said:

Do you know how many leave each year?

Yay!  An article from Reuters just answered Both of our questions!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-norway/thanks-but-no-thanks-norwegians-reject-trumps-immigration-offer-idUSKBN1F11QK

The Nordic country, one of the richest in the world by GDP per capita, was last year named the happiest nation on the planet and is known for a cradle-to-grave welfare state funded in part by large reserves of oil and natural gas.

[...]

“On behalf of Norway: Thanks, but no thanks,” tweeted Torbjoern Saetre, a politician representing Norway’s Conservative Party in a municipality near Oslo.

Others condemned the U.S. president’s comments as inappropriate or racist.

“We are not coming. Cheers from Norway,” one woman wrote.

While hundreds of thousands of Norwegians emigrated to the U.S. in the 19th century, just 502 out of a population of 5.3 million people moved there in 2016, down 59 from the previous year, according to Statistics Norway.

[...]

Christian Christensen, an American professor of journalism at Stockholm University in neighboring Sweden, tweeted:

“Of course people from #Norway would love to move to a country where people are far more likely to be shot, live in poverty, get no healthcare because they’re poor, get no paid parental leave or subsidized daycare and see fewer women in political power. #s#!thole”

Edited by Kiyoat Husker
  • Plus1 3

21 hours ago, Bornhusker said:

I'm not getting to a pissing match with posters on here. 

This is exactly why I won't participate.

On this, I am done.

8 hours ago, Bornhusker said:

My last comment in this thread..

Sigh...remember when?

I'm not getting to a pissing match with posters on here. 

This is exactly why I won't participate.

On this, I am done.

8 hours ago, Bornhusker said:

My last comment in this thread..

Sigh...remember when?

• Plus1 1
On 1/11/2018 at 5:32 PM, ZRod said:

Do you not understand context? He's talking about legal voters and the ramifications that voting may have on their illegal relatives. He never said anything about not going after illegal immigrants or illegal voters.

I completely missed this post.. She CLEARLY states "undocumented" in her question. I am fairly certain "undocumented" means illegal.

This is in regards to the video I presented with Obama talking about voting.. since I am responding so late.

Edited by Bornhusker
1 hour ago, Bornhusker said:

I completely missed this post.. She CLEARLY states "undocumented" in her question. I am fairly certain "undocumented" means illegal.

This is in regards to the video I presented with Obama talking about voting.. since I am responding so late.

Try to actually listen to the conversation and not be blinded by your bias. She says "So, if vote..." She is a legal citizen, worried about how it may affect undocumented family and friends.

Again, context matters.

• Plus1 3
18 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Try to actually listen to the conversation and not be blinded by your bias. She says "So, if vote..." She is a legal citizen, worried about how it may affect undocumented family and friends.

Again, context matters.

Maybe YOU need to listen to what is actually being said..

She starts off saying.. Many of the millennials, dreamers, undocumented citizens, she calls them citizens blah blah, are fearful of voting.

8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You're right she says all of that. But your strawman still doesn't refute my point that she and O aren't talking about letting undocumented people vote.

considering that is what they talk about, it very much DOES prove my point. You are reading into it what you want to see/believe.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Pot meet kettle

sorry, but what is being said is very clear. Go by the words they are saying and you will see..

Many of the millennials, dreamers, undocumented citizens, she calls them citizens blah blah, are fearful of voting.

This is how things started.. it is very clear she includes illegals, the difference is she considers them citizens.. That is a key part of her statement!

Deny it all you want, but you would be wrong!

Edited by Bornhusker
1 minute ago, Bornhusker said:

sorry, but what is being said is very clear. Go by the words they are saying and you will see..

This is how things started.. it is very clear she includes illegals, the difference is she considers them citizens.. That is a key part of her statement!

Deny it all you want, but you would be wrong!

You do realize that there are LEGAL undocumented citizens right? Simply being born on US soil makes you a legal US citizen - probably the same reason you can claim citizenship.

19 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

considering that is what they talk about, it very much DOES prove my point. You are reading into it what you want to see/believe.

I'm listening to what is being said and following along. You are making up your own narrative and deliberately leaving out sections of the conversation that negate your claims.

When she say "So, if I vote..." who or what is she talking about?