Got to say, good job

Dagerow

Looks like a good class w some potential studs in there, espcially @ WR and, hopefully, Gebbia.

Am very concerned that we didn't get any high profile RBs, which means, IMO, we have no high profile RBs on the roster--and last time I looked this was supposed to be NEBRASKA, you, the team that runs the ball.

5-6 4* recruits is nothing to sneeze at, but that's outta 20 ttl, which isn't going to cut it if NE wants to return as a primetime player.

When we get 14/20 4* guys, AND, heaven forbi, the ever elusive 5*, THEN we can start spinning cartwheels...

agree, Ohio State kicked our ass, i think they got 5 5* kids.........we got none. And RB's we have no one out standing here either......we still need better recruiting, to compete.

Until Urb hangs it up they are going to continue to kick our ass in recruiting, get used to it... They will have a top 3-5 class every year, to expect us to compete with them when it comes to recruiting is ridiculous...

We really haven't had a for real, big time RB since, say, LP or Ahman Green, and dagnabbit, I don't see any reason why that continues to be the case. It would surely help take us to the next level.

But this year's dirth @ RB is truly mystifying.

Oh I think Roy Helu, Rex Burkhead and Ameer Abdullah would have been big time on any Osborne team, especially considering they played pretty damn big with less-stellar offensive lines. Brandon Jackson and Corell Buckhalter had NFL chops, too.

And I'm not convinced Devine Ozigbo, Trey Bryant and Mikel Wilbon represent a dearth. Any or all look capable of a breakout year. Or maybe just a solid platoon.

Hmmmm, you could be right. I dunno, I think if you compared film, Ameer just really jumps off the page as being the best Husker back this century and in the same league as Green or LP etc.

Zig, Bryant, Wilbon are not, maybe Bryant has some upside though. Ameer was putting up crazy #s and could carry the team on his back, gave us a lot more offense.

I was thinking earlier of the great backfields of Barry Switzer's wishbone O, probably the best ever assembled, the list of names-Pruitt, Washingtonz, Simms, Dupree, Watts--were scary scary good in that bone. Me thinks Marcus Dupree was probably the best raw talent) that ever lived, albeit short, crazy career, the guy was unbelievable, nvr really had to practice.

This was sent to me from a friend who got it from another board I believe. A lot of truth in it.

Actually there's a lot to agree with in this discussion from a lot of different arguments, seemingly at odds but actually in wild agreement. We are improving in coaching, making changes to the staff where needed and bringing in some pretty salty assistants. Riley is playing the role of CEO and playing it well. He has the experience to know the difference in performance and know the details that need to be tended to. We are improving in our recruiting and in our projected player talent. We are being considered by players who wouldn't have given us a sniff a couple of years ago. For this we have our current staff and their contacts and old friends to thank. Our class is a vast improvement, albeit short in some areas, but in the world they live in we are going to get disappointments. You have to watch to see if there is constant movement to improvement and any tendency to sit back and pat themselves on the back for the job they did (outside of press conferences). Class size is important when trying to rebuild the depth, but not to the detriment of quality. We need to fight and completely resist the temptation to fill a slot with a three star when we're shooting for high fours to build the roster. Don't take a four year space holder as a flyer right now. To do so will lengthen the process of building quality depth - something Saban talks about so often. And it takes time to work the new talent into the rotation and most importantly having them perform up to their potential, not just better than the walk on they replaced. Nobody will disagree high level talent improves with experience and coaching.

What has been also brought to this discussion and something I have believed forever and have preached - what we do against our past doesn't mean sh#t. I chuckle at the charts that show how much better we are than past years. It's important only to show improvement, but not to judge performance. Riley knows this and it's obvious in his press comments, Pelini did not. I often comment that neither the dead nor the stupid know it. Pelini was stupid. The Blue Chip Ratio isn't just a coincidence in time, it's real and has been known for years. We just conveniently discounted it and rationalized it away because we didn't like what it told us about our program, or to the mantra that we can win with 5 heart Nebraska players (I still know people who believe that sh#t). Until we have top 100 players willing to gray shirt for us like Alabama and until our roster is so deep we don't have to run people off, four star players leave because they want playing time, we have to adapt and struggle. We have to process players around BIG rules. We have to go the extra mile and find them soft landing places and entice them to leave while we build that depth. I also agree that being considered by these kinds of recruits is big. Really big. But to get to the next level and win those recruiting battles we have to start proving it and performance on the field is going to be the difference. Kids are fickle. They will chase the new hot winning streak. You can show them tradition once you get them on campus.

All this sums up to me to mean time and more time, lengthened by the 85 scholarship limit over the football world I was brought up on. It's not a one or two year recruiting season fix and getting the numbers of quality folks is going to be difficult. I look at winning the BIG as being as difficult as winning a national championship right now and that is a problem. So we need to be recruiting at the level of the Michigans et al. Winning the West although one might think it's a given, isn't. This coming year we have Wiscy, OSU and Penn St; while Wiscy has only Nebraska and Michigan. In 2018 we have Michigan, Wiscy, OSU, and MSU while Wicsy has only Nebraska and Michigan. It isn't until 2019 that the schedule flips and we have an advantage over our biggest threat. In the meantime we will have fans that are grousing and wanting to fire coaches because they have no understanding of the magnitude of the effort, the built in scholarship limit problems, and the lack of understanding of how far we've sunk into the depths of mediocrity. It's easy to give a deadbeat coach only three or four years, not because of results but because you observe the lack of attention to the detail it takes to improve. It takes patience to hold on to a coach who is improving and knows what needs to be done and is tirelessly working to get there. Having a signing day cold for our coach is a good sign. He should be worn out.

• Fire 3

Looks like a good class w some potential studs in there, espcially @ WR and, hopefully, Gebbia.

Am very concerned that we didn't get any high profile RBs, which means, IMO, we have no high profile RBs on the roster--and last time I looked this was supposed to be NEBRASKA, you, the team that runs the ball.

5-6 4* recruits is nothing to sneeze at, but that's outta 20 ttl, which isn't going to cut it if NE wants to return as a primetime player.

When we get 14/20 4* guys, AND, heaven forbi, the ever elusive 5*, THEN we can start spinning cartwheels...

agree, Ohio State kicked our ass, i think they got 5 5* kids.........we got none. And RB's we have no one out standing here either......we still need better recruiting, to compete.

Until Urb hangs it up they are going to continue to kick our ass in recruiting, get used to it... They will have a top 3-5 class every year, to expect us to compete with them when it comes to recruiting is ridiculous...

I don't think it has as much to do with Meyer as it does Ohio State as a program. I'd be willing to bet over the last four decades Ohio State has kicked our ass in recruiting 90% of the time, and maybe even more. When Cooper was at Ohio State, he sent a ton of guys to the NFL but never won a NC. We don't need top 5 classes every year. We need top 15-20 classes where we get the right players to fit the system.

I don't think it has as much to do with Meyer as it does Ohio State as a program. I'd be willing to bet over the last four decades Ohio State has kicked our ass in recruiting 90% of the time, and maybe even more. When Cooper was at Ohio State, he sent a ton of guys to the NFL but never won a NC. We don't need top 5 classes every year. We need top 15-20 classes where we get the right players to fit the system.

we need a top 10 class, every year and hope the coaches can develop these kids.........Meyer has a helluva staff as well, not sure we can match that either.........

Already pumped for next year. A full press of Donte, Keith, JP, and Diaco is exciting.

Keith Williams is going to land a 5 star eventually. Hoping it's coming next year

As soon as he get someone to have a breakout year and have 100+ catches for over 1000 yrd rec he will land a 5* no doubt

Agree. A 5* reeciver isn't going anywhere he can't get the ball. We start to show we have QB's who can throw well, we will see more receiver's look this way.

It's a small step in the right direction, thank god we got Lindsey or this class would be viewed as a dumpster fire. We'll see what DW, KW, and Parella can do with another full cycle.

Disappointing we didn't land some of the top guys we went after, but I like the fact that we went after them. If we want to start winning conference titles, we have to go after and land guys like Lewis and Sarell. At least we are swinging for the fences now, hopefully this can progress to actually hitting the home run.

I read that he raised the class 9 spots with his signing.......shows just how subjective recruiting ratings are. Glad we got him. No arguing or denying that one.

I think I saw a stat on Twitter that 12-13 of our 20 commits were rated 4 star by at least one recruiting service. Lindsay is a 5 star guy, he dropped because he missed most of his Senior year. Nevertheless, ADS already provided the stat that shows you we're recruiting at a much higher level then the Pelini regime.

• Fire 1

I think I saw a stat on Twitter that 12-13 of our 20 commits were rated 4 star by at least one recruiting service. Lindsay is a 5 star guy, he dropped because he missed most of his Senior year. Nevertheless, ADS already provided the stat that shows you we're recruiting at a much higher level then the Pelini regime.

But I thought those stats were a myth and Riley is a bum whose .504 record will follow him everywhere he goes?

But I thought those stats were a myth and Riley is a bum whose .504 record will follow him everywhere he goes?

So far it has.

I give this class a C+/B-. I love the potential for sure.

Seeing what OSU, Mich and OSU hauled in along with the other great recruiting classes, all I see is us falling further behind. I do think we have a few better recruiters now and time will tell if we can coach them up.

The effort by the staff was excellent. The last half of the season killed our recruiting momentum including that 90 day stretch with no recruits.

I guess I haven't seen any services that rate our class as you claim. 247, rivals, scout, espn, all--and this is every year--are pretty consistent with each other, give or take a bit. Riley is recruiting about the same as Bo, a handful of 4*s and a surplus of 3*s--that ratio has got to flip. Bama and tOSU consistently get as many or more 5* guys than we get 4*s, and more 4* than we get 3*s, and that's why they and FSU and soon to be USC again, own the thing. LSU's always in there of course and GA went crazy this year finishing @ #3. And MI has been in there too, and better w Harbaugh. It's "2 Americas", and we're in the 2nd one, along with a log jam of other teams.

I guess I haven't seen any services that rate our class as you claim. 247, rivals, scout, espn, all--and this is every year--are pretty consistent with each other, give or take a bit. Riley is recruiting about the same as Bo, a handful of 4*s and a surplus of 3*s--that ratio has got to flip. Bama and tOSU consistently get as many or more 5* guys than we get 4*s, and more 4* than we get 3*s, and that's why they and FSU and soon to be USC again, own the thing. LSU's always in there of course and GA went crazy this year finishing @ #3. And MI has been in there too, and better w Harbaugh. It's "2 Americas", and we're in the 2nd one, along with a log jam of other teams.

I won't suggest that stars don't mean anything, but look at a prospect's offer list. That will tell you more about how good they are, and their potential going forward (hence the reason I suggested you look at ADS' stat from above). This class is better then any of Bo's, in my opinion.

I won't suggest that stars don't mean anything, but look at a prospect's offer list. That will tell you more about how good they are, and their potential going forward (hence the reason I suggested you look at ADS' stat from above). This class is better then any of Bo's, in my opinion.

I agree re the offer list, I always check that, but it is usually in direct proportion to the guy's star rating, correct? More stars, more offers, or vice versa, depending on if the coaches or srvces get there 1st. It's a symbiotic thing, but I've found the srvc rankings and final poll rankings are usually in harmony: we recruit @ 25th and we finish @ 25th. Bama recruits @ #1 and finish @ #1, and so forth.

Stars are like beans, an accountant could do it. I mean, how hard can it be, the 5* RB, for e.g., is that big fast guy who's got the ball and carrying 1/2 the other team 60 yds on his back to the house! This ain't rocket science.

Not sure it we crack the top 20 next year if it is a small class, 15-17 is my guess. I will be looking at quality or quantity. Riley seems to be very motivated though. We might have some attrition and bump that number up. We are off to a good start in terms of quality for 2018. I'm guessing the staff will be even more picky next year.