The Environment

We're talking about "average". Yeah, there are specific jobs and industries (and they're not irrelevant in size). Yeah, there are annoyances of different kinds. The bottom line is that the financial hit is levied in greater proportion to the more wealthy, as it usually goes. So let's not obfuscate that point to oblivion, either.

Why do rich people hate tax increases more than poor people? Rich people are the ones getting hit with them, generally speaking. And they're getting hit at much steeper rates. Whenever we want to effect some new policy they're the ones taking on the largest individual increases in burden. Or it's their companies at stake, etc.

That's a dramatic way of putting it, but the answer isn't that hard. He's going to make boatloads more money than the miner if regulations fall and coal sees a boon.

Why would the CEO of a coal mining company be more inclined to "hate the earth and all it's inhabitants" than the coal miner at the bottom of the shaft?

Because he can make way more money doing it???

And...that miner at the bottom of the shaft stands to either have a job or not have a job. Both ways, their financial well being is dramatically affected.

• Fire 1

Why would the CEO of a coal mining company be more inclined to "hate the earth and all it's inhabitants" than the coal miner at the bottom of the shaft?

To make money.

Kinda like the coal CEO in that John Oliver vid that cut $3 million in health benefits to 1200 retirees and sought to increase bonuses of up to $12 million for the top execs.

Or how congress helped kill the Stream Protection Rule so that coal companies can dump waste into waterways.

Health benefits for retirees? Eff em.

Keep waterways clean? Eff em too.

• Fire 1

To make money.

Kinda like the coal CEO in that John Oliver vid that cut $3 million in health benefits to 1200 retirees and sought to increase bonuses of up to $12 million for the top execs.

Or how congress helped kill the Stream Protection Rule so that coal companies can dump waste into waterways.

So, the miner at the bottom of the shaft doesn't care about having a job or not?

• Fire 1

You act like coal miners can only mine coal.

I'd rather improve our environmental footprint, address climate change in a serious way, and work to retrain the coal miners.

I'm not "acting" like anything. Why are there unemployed people in small towns in the Carolinas that used to mine coal? Why haven't they gone and gotten a new job? Why was it easy for Trump to win over their vote?

And...a rich person can't invest in something else like wind or solar energy?

To make money.

So, the miner at the bottom of the shaft doesn't care about having a job or not?

How did you get that from what I posted?

Also who is saying anyone hates the earth and its inhabitants? I would call it an indifference. I don't think these people hate the earth, I think they don't really care about it one way or another and they love their money much more

To be fair, I said it earlier. It was tinged with hyperbole. But when an industry throws people off health care and actively works to pollute waterways, it tends to seem like they hate the earth and the people that occupy it.

Also who is saying anyone hates the earth and its inhabitants? I would call it an indifference. I don't think these people hate the earth, I think they don't really care about it one way or another and they love their money much more

To be fair, I said it earlier. It was tinged with hyperbole. But when an industry throws people off health care and actively works to pollute waterways, it tends to seem like they hate the earth and the people that occupy it.

I suppose it's not too different. For the love of money is the root of all evil. Recklessly pursuing monies without regard for anything can turn you into an evil hateful person. This being said, not all wealthy people accumulate their wealth in this way.

Why do coal miner like Trump? - he lied to them, and told them what they wanted to hear in order get their vote.

Why do coal miners hate environmental regulations? - They have been shamelessly manipulated by propaganda and rhetoric (paid for by wealthy special interest groups) to support policies that actually are against their best interests.

• Fire 4

Fru, I feel like the word Nebfanatic used is a better fit - indifference. Very cynical indifference. Very cynical indifference. People opposed to environmental regulations would rather squeeze extra juice out of the economy for their own gain (e.g, to get re-elected or to collect profits) even at the expense of our planet because they won't be around to see the effects. It may screw over our children and grandchildren, but no matter, we'll just kick the can and let somebody deal with it down the road.

Likewise with healthcare- who cares if it hurts the poor? It's more fiscally responsible. This will take the oppressive yoke off the job creators and unburden them, that they may proceed to trickle down their vast wealth (and pay for our re-election).

Specific to coal miners, it's important to point out that the guys at the top profiteering from increased coal output aren't suffering the deleterious health effects that come for the worker in the mine.

• Fire 1