Riley and the Direction of the Program

Mavric

State of the Program  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think we are trending in the right direction. We are in a better spot today than we with what Bo left the program. I think our recruiting has been slightly better - I can't recall Bo bringing in a big time offensive threat like Tyjon who actually made it to campus.

I do agree and wish some of the recent staff changes had been made earlier and think that some of the initial staff hires held us back. Is Nebraska where I wanted them to be after 2 years of Riley? No. But i think we are definitely trending up.

Really? Didn't Bo bring in Aaron green, braylon heard, Ameer Abdullah all in the same class? Green was a top running back recruit so was heard. Not to mention all the 4 star linemen on the roster now are Bo's guys. I'm pretty sure Bo brought in the lines of Lavonte David and Randy gregory talent that Riley has never brought in. I wouldn't say we are in a better spot now then when Bo left. The staff turnover doesn't show it and the play and record on the field doesn't show that either. Name me 5 recievers that have ever single handedly won their team any type of championship? You find mind many because top running backs are way more valuable to a team than a top reciever. Ask Penn St. Hackenberg couldn't do crap and they had great recievers on that team. Franklin is hires they get a good RB and a dual threat QB and they win the big 10. If your offense line can't run block effectively which is the easiest type of blocking how do you see a offensive line being more effective in pass blocking? We aren't in a better spot then whe. Bo left. If we were then most of our D line wouldn't of left after Bo did

This ^ cannot be a serious post.

I think we are trending in the right direction. We are in a better spot today than we with what Bo left the program. I think our recruiting has been slightly better - I can't recall Bo bringing in a big time offensive threat like Tyjon who actually made it to campus.

I do agree and wish some of the recent staff changes had been made earlier and think that some of the initial staff hires held us back. Is Nebraska where I wanted them to be after 2 years of Riley? No. But i think we are definitely trending up.

Really? Didn't Bo bring in Aaron green, braylon heard, Ameer Abdullah all in the same class? Green was a top running back recruit so was heard. Not to mention all the 4 star linemen on the roster now are Bo's guys. I'm pretty sure Bo brought in the lines of Lavonte David and Randy gregory talent that Riley has never brought in. I wouldn't say we are in a better spot now then when Bo left. The staff turnover doesn't show it and the play and record on the field doesn't show that either. Name me 5 recievers that have ever single handedly won their team any type of championship? You find mind many because top running backs are way more valuable to a team than a top reciever. Ask Penn St. Hackenberg couldn't do crap and they had great recievers on that team. Franklin is hires they get a good RB and a dual threat QB and they win the big 10. If your offense line can't run block effectively which is the easiest type of blocking how do you see a offensive line being more effective in pass blocking? We aren't in a better spot then whe. Bo left. If we were then most of our D line wouldn't of left after Bo did

Samuel_bce7df_1475891.gif

Below expectations but turning now. The recruiting class was good but we need to finish rated higher or we will never be able to keep up with Ohio State and Michigan to win the conference or be in the running to win the conference. For the class size we should have been able to get a few more higher rated players in it. To many came down to the wire and it ended up being why we almost werent in the top 25. Hopefully the rumors are true and now that this is basically Mike Rileys team we see what he and his staff can do. If we cant win more than 9 again this season Im going to be pretty unimpressed.

It's a team sport, chief. Good receivers help the running game. Good running backs help the passing game. Penn State and Nebraska had nearly identical run/pass ratios, and I suspect we would have run a bit more and better with a healthy blue chip running back. Mike Riley didn't inherit one of those from Bo. Our offensive line could have been better, but they were pretty impressive on several critical third and short, and forth and short power running plays, and if Penn State is your standard, Nebraska's per carry average was almost identical to the Nittany Lions. Truth is, defense wins championships, and we've had no where to go but up since 2012.

• Fire 1

How can someone say with a straight face that staff turnover is a sign that things aren't as good as they were with Bo? He didn't fire people. He wanted yes men, even if they were inexperienced. Riley being willing to get better coaches is a good sign. Not a bad one.

And to this point, I am refreshed and excited to see that Riley is making changes. Clearly, we weren't getting it done in the kicking game and defensively, we were plagued by soft coverages and poor tackling. Most of us, as fans, saw the problems and knew that changes needed to be made.

I have zero idea if the changes Riley made will work. But I applaud him for making changes and trying different things. Coaching is a lot like a fraternity and for Riley to fire not one, but two, coaches that he's known and worked with for 15-20 years shows major commitment to winning.