When Should You Go For Two?

Mavric

If it's so rare why was one missed in the super bowl

Yer right, they should have gone for 2 there as Gostkowski apparently had stubbed his lil toe getting out of bed this a.m., that sh#t hurts. It's amazing how he soldiered on thru the game though, I give him alotta credit for that.

Why was this not on the injury report? #Cheaters #NotMyWorldChampions

If it's so rare why was one missed in the super bowl

Yer right, they should have gone for 2 there as Gostkowski apparently had stubbed his lil toe getting out of bed this a.m., that sh#t hurts. It's amazing how he soldiered on thru the game though, I give him alotta credit for that.
Why was this not on the injury report? #Cheaters #NotMyWorldChampions
The Brady Bunch rides again, woohooo! With Brady, all things are possible! In Brady We Trust!

For the few here who have picked up what's going on, you may enjoy the last few paragraphs from the article (that most posters here haven't read).

The most common and significant mistakes by far are failing to go for 2 when down 4, 8 or 11 late in the game: Of 81 such clear-cut decisions, coaches got it right a combined zero times. They also kicked the extra point down 2 in the third quarter five times, when they clearly shouldn’t have, and once in the fourth(!) for good measure.

There is no excuse for professional coaches to make such simple mistakes. If you’re a coach, you should be doing this analysis yourself — or doing it better. If you’re still kicking extra points 14 times more often than going for 2, you’re not doing your job. If you’re in the sports media and you haven’t mastered this material, and won’t hold coaches accountable for not doing their jobs, then you’re not doing your job either.

Is the author correct? Yes.

Does the author know why those people are constantly making the mistakes? Don't know he didn't say anything about it. I know why...but I'm not telling lol.

• Fire 2

For the few here who have picked up what's going on, you may enjoy the last few paragraphs from the article (that most posters here haven't read).

The most common and significant mistakes by far are failing to go for 2 when down 4, 8 or 11 late in the game: Of 81 such clear-cut decisions, coaches got it right a combined zero times. They also kicked the extra point down 2 in the third quarter five times, when they clearly shouldn’t have, and once in the fourth(!) for good measure.

There is no excuse for professional coaches to make such simple mistakes. If you’re a coach, you should be doing this analysis yourself — or doing it better. If you’re still kicking extra points 14 times more often than going for 2, you’re not doing your job. If you’re in the sports media and you haven’t mastered this material, and won’t hold coaches accountable for not doing their jobs, then you’re not doing your job either.

Does the author know why those people are constantly making the mistakes? Don't know he didn't say anything about it. I know why...but I'm not telling lol.

Who is the author? Has he ever coached football? Has he ever lost a game, and had to bear the anger of fans on talk radio, social media, sports networks? I rather doubt it.

Oh and yeah, Tom Osborne went for 2 back in '83, and Nebraska didn't get it. 11 long years later, NU finally won a national championship. Many people thought Dr. Osborne should've kicked the extra point, and tied the game. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

The most common and significant mistakes by far are failing to go for 2 when down 4, 8 or 11 late in the game: Of 81 such clear-cut decisions, coaches got it right a combined zero times. They also kicked the extra point down 2 in the third quarter five times, when they clearly shouldnt have, and once in the fourth(!) for good measure.

There is no excuse for professional coaches to make such simple mistakes. If youre a coach, you should be doing this analysis yourself or doing it better. If youre still kicking extra points 14 times more often than going for 2, youre not doing your job. If youre in the sports media and you havent mastered this material, and wont hold coaches accountable for not doing their jobs, then youre not doing your job either.

Thanks for not telling, it helps build suspense.

Nobody's contending, much, going for 2s LATE, you don't have to be Albert Analytics Einstein to figure that out, and especially if the Big Boss Man Upstairs signs off on it. But if you botch 'em earlier in the show, you're even more f'd than if you had just gone ahead and kicked the PAT.