Denying science in the classroom

That hasn't stopped millions of people from dying or killing based off its many interpretations.

People are stupid and horrible. It's not religion's fault.

When they base their beliefs on religious teachings, yes it absolutely is religion's fault.

For example, someone grows up hearing for 20 years about how being gay is "an abomination."

Said 25 year old takes guns and shoots up a gay night club. Who's fault is it? It is the person's AND religion's. Because religion, and it's teachings, put that hate/bigotry into that person's heart and mind. Religion poisoned someone and got them to act in a way they probably never would have if they had been told for 20 years that being gay is alright.

Religion isn't a thing that can be blamed for human actions. Religion is a human construct. It is no more to blame for bad actions than sport, nationalism, politics, love, money, or anything else humans create to explain their existence.

Religion is not inherently bad. Like a spoon or a pillow, it can be misused for bad things. But by its nature it is not bad.

Blaming religion for anything is a copout. It's humans who are to blame. Every time.

• Fire 1

Religion isn't a thing that can be blamed for human actions. Religion is a human construct. It is no more to blame for bad actions than sport, nationalism, politics, love, money, or anything else humans create to explain their existence.

Religion is not inherently bad. Like a spoon or a pillow, it can be misused for bad things. But by its nature it is not bad.

Blaming religion for anything is a copout. It's humans who are to blame. Every time.

I disagree. Blaming religion, and the people who commit violent acts in their religion's name, is warranted.

For example, Let's say I am not religious at all but I am searching for meaning. I pick up a New King James Bible, the Quran, or some other similar holy book. Further, had never really thought of, or considered, that being gay was "wrong." I always thought, meh, it's not for me but if someone is, that's their orientation. In addition, I've never thought that anyone who believes differently than I do is necessarily wrong. Then religion gets ahold of me. Suddenly, anyone who doesn't believe what I do, is "going to hell" or they are a sinner and need to repent to "their god." (Because everyone else's god is the wrong one.)

Religion, just took someone who was formerly not a bigot and twisted them into one. So yes, you can absolutely blame religion.

And yes, I am talking almost exclusively about the religious crazies who take their religion too far.

• Fire 2

I disagree. Blaming religion, and the people who commit violent acts in their religion's name, is warranted.

For example, Let's say I am not religious at all but I am searching for meaning. I pick up a New King James Bible, the Quran, or some other similar holy book. Further, had never really thought of, or considered, that being gay was "wrong." I always thought, meh, it's not for me but if someone is, that's their orientation. In addition, I've never thought that anyone who believes differently than I do is necessarily wrong. Then religion gets ahold of me. Suddenly, anyone who doesn't believe what I do, is "going to hell" or they are a sinner and need to repent to "their god." (Because everyone else's god is the wrong one.)

Religion, just took someone who was formerly not a bigot and twisted them into one. So yes, you can absolutely blame religion.

You're just blaming humans. Take religion out of the equation and humans still do this stuff.

Which question?

I'm assuming he's talking about the one where he listed a bunch of Biblical stories and asked people to say which should be taken literally.

But knapp, LOMS question is about a comment you made saying some people don't think god is god. I think that question is more important because it seems to be aimed at one or more people in this topic and they should be able to reply on whether that actually describes them.

I think the reason your question hasn't been answered is because many aren't certain how they feel about all of those things and also becauae you've said the Bible is black and white; It either has to ALL be taken literally or none of it. Due to that belief, the answer you're searching for is obvious and people have replied with why the Bible doesn't have to be interpreted that way. That answer is more relevant to the discussion than the one you're looking for, imho.

I think the flood was one of the things you asked about. It's just not that important to me whether it happened exactly as stated. It's about Noah's faith.

The question I asked is the most fundamental and relevant question in this thread. Landlord's question is actually irrelevant if my question is answered in the only way it can be answered.

When it seems you're putting words into someone's mouth (that some seem to be saying god isn't god) it's important that the person or people be able to refute it or explain why they feel that way. It's kind of a personal thing to say. That's why I think it's more important.

If we're talking about a much bigger scope of The Truth of The Bible, ya, the answer to your question is more important. But some people on a message board can't answer that for you. They're just some randoms.

Also, if there is only one way to answer your question, why are you so keen on having someone else answer it?

Multiple people have responded to it already. The answer (imo) is that there are many answers to your question that don't make the Bible or Christianity wrong.