Spring Practice - What Does the New Defense Look Like?

"It's fun to me," he said. "With the 4-3, you know both the three (technique) and the nose. Learning the 3-4, it's not much different. You're just two-gapping."

He thought for a moment.

"You're not really even two-gapping," he said. "You're playing one gap and kind of shading both sides. It's not much different. You learn the new schemes and new calls. That's about it."

LJS

Interesting comment on the Defensive Line:

Natter got props for batting down a pass at the line. The comment from the media guy watching practice was that kind of thing would be important as linemen "no longer will be rushing the passer" in Diaco's scheme.

Let's get this straight now please.

DL are still going to be rushing the passer, it's just a little different type of a concept. They don't just pin their ears back and get after the QB it's a bit more methodical than that.

I bet our DL still gets 7+ sacks this year, which would be more than last year. Most of our sacks now will come from OLB and an occasional ILB or safety blitz.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith Williams said it's a "big change" to have to go against all the coverages Diaco uses.

Nice. Like the mix ups with our coverage. With an athletic secondary, and not having to sit in a HS defense this year, we should see a big improvement in our pass defense.

Imagine that.....Mixing coverages up....... I think this will turn out to be a stellar hire.

• Fire 3

Keith Williams said it's a "big change" to have to go against all the coverages Diaco uses.

Nice. Like the mix ups with our coverage. With an athletic secondary, and not having to sit in a HS defense this year, we should see a big improvement in our pass defense.

Imagine that.....Mixing coverages up....... I think this will turn out to be a stellar hire.
I agree. I'll be honest was kinda disappointed at first but after seeing him in practice and his high energy I think we might've stole one. He seems to know his stuff I just didn't know a lot about him at the time of hire.