Miles at NU

Ed Morrow isn't asked to distribute the ball. He's asked to rebound, protect the rim, and score in the paint.

I agree with this statement. Yes, Morrow can be a "black hole" at times, and yes, I would love it if he kicked the ball back out to shooters, instead of forcing a shot up inside.

Morrow has been in a tough spot. He was undersized last year, and did a great job of bulking up for this year. He is being asked to play against a lot of guys much bigger than him, and is being asked to be a focal point of the offense at times. Morrow should be the 4th option in an offense. His role should be to grab rebounds, give energy, and play good defense against other power forwards. It would be great if Morrow works to develop as a passer this offseason, but that would be a bonus to add to his skills.

Mav (and the rest of you), I understand what you're saying. Your argument should be correct, and it sounds right, but it's just blatantly false. And it's nothing that ESPN.com box scores can't show you.

Tim Miles' offense, players at PF:

Roby averages an assist every 20 minutes

Jacobsen averages an assist every 22 minutes

David Rivers averaged an assist every 35 minutes

Leslee Smith averaged an assist every 44 minutes

Jordy ( ehhh I threw him on here) averages an assist every 46 minutes

Jake Hammond averaged an assist every 52 minutes

Ed Morrow, averages an assist every 86 minutes

Why does every other player in this offensive scheme seem to not have had this problem? Same position. Jake Hammond was nearly incompetent. Jordy, the CENTER, whose job is "get rebounds and score when open down low" is twice as good as Ed is at getting his teammates a chance at scoring?

It's a team game, that's all I'm saying.

And please don't compare basketball to football, and then please don't compare the GOAT QB to a pretty average player.

Why are you insisting on picking one stat instead of looking at the entire picture?

And I'm not comparing the players. I'm comparing picking one state to decide whether a player is good or not.

Carmelo Anthony puts up some ridiculous stats. Career loser.

For as much as you all complain about "not winning"... Maybe because it's a message board and this is my opinion on where things are going wrong? I wanted to start a discussion? You can make me a new thread if you want.

Edit: I'm not saying we have better options. We don't. Ed plays high energy and he gets the stats you are all looking for. He "looks good". The numbers say he is average at best.

Mav (and the rest of you), I understand what you're saying. Your argument should be correct, and it sounds right, but it's just blatantly false. And it's nothing that ESPN.com box scores can't show you.

Why does every other player in this offensive scheme seem to not have had this problem? Same position. Jake Hammond was nearly incompetent. Jordy, the CENTER, whose job is "get rebounds and score when open down low" is twice as good as Ed is at getting his teammates a chance at scoring?

And please don't compare basketball to football, and then please don't compare the GOAT QB to a pretty average player.

Why are you insisting on picking one stat instead of looking at the entire picture?

And I'm not comparing the players. I'm comparing picking one state to decide whether a player is good or not.

For as much as you all complain about "not winning"... Maybe because it's a message board and this is my opinion on where things are going wrong? I wanted to start a discussion? You can make me a new thread if you want.

So we can't compare him to Tom Brady but we can compare him to Carmello Anthony? I guess I'm not sure where your arbitrary line is being drawn.

Are you going to answer the question?

Ed Morrow isn't asked to distribute the ball. He's asked to rebound, protect the rim, and score in the paint.

He does exactly 1 of those things well, and it's back to "ripping the ball out of his teammates' hands".

He's currently #8 in the B1G in rebounding, t-14 in FG%, t-12 in blocks per game and leading the conference in offensive rebounds per game. That's not a perfect player but that's bringing quite a bit to the table.

I mean ... it's pretty obvious that you're not looking at this objectively. He's among the conference leaders in all three of those things. I think that's doing them pretty weel.

He does exactly 1 of those things well, and it's back to "ripping the ball out of his teammates' hands".

So your debate on him not being a team player and someone who is ------ is talking about 0.3 apg vs 0.8 apg ?? Oh, and "ripping the ball out of his teammates hands"? C'mon man

So we can't compare him to Tom Brady but we can compare him to Carmello Anthony? I guess I'm not sure where your arbitrary line is being drawn.

Are you going to answer the question?

Usually draw the line within the sport. While we're at it, let's compare him to Babe Ruth!

Because, assists are an indicator of team play. They are an indicator of how well our offense is running. And it dies when Ed's in.

Usually draw the line within the sport. While we're at it, let's compare him to Babe Ruth!

Because, assists are an indicator of team play. They are an indicator of how well our offense is running. And it dies when Ed's in.

How many times have other players scored off his offensive rebounds, even if he wasn't getting the assist?

Our offense isn't good. Doesn't matter who's in there.

Was it noticeably different during the stretch when Ed was hurt?

He's currently #8 in the B1G in rebounding, t-14 in FG%, t-12 in blocks per game and leading the conference in offensive rebounds per game. That's not a perfect player but that's bringing quite a bit to the table.

I mean ... it's pretty obvious that you're not looking at this objectively. He's among the conference leaders in all three of those things. I think that's doing them pretty weel.

If I'm picking and choosing stats, so are you. Offensive rebounds? Forgot those were the only type... And I didn't know top 10 was a leader. There are ~20 players in the B1G who start at the 4-5 that you could fairly compare to Ed. And he's average in that category.

Ed is 149th in the country in rebounding. There are 148 players who are better rebounders than Ed. Lol

He is a 6'7 soph who only plays 23 min/game on a bad foot. He is 8th in the B10 in rebounds per game....that isn't good?? AND he is 1st in the B10 in offensive rebounds per game. So again you are wrong

• Fire 2

Ed is 149th in the country in rebounding. There are 148 players who are better rebounders than Ed. Lol

He is a 6'7 soph who only plays 23 min/game on a bad foot. He is 8th in the B10 in rebounds per game....that isn't good??

He plays just as many minutes as Jacobsen. Who averages 1 rebound less per game... c'mon man.

Also, another stat not based on assists. No one on the team turns it over more than Ed except for Tai. I'd expect Tai and Glynn, both acting as PG's to be there. But nope, he even turns it over more than Glynn does. This is where I say his "energy" on the boards (ripping balls out of his teammates hands) is probably good for the 2 TO's he averages a game.

He is a 6'7 soph who only plays 23 min/game on a bad foot. He is 8th in the B10 in rebounds per game....that isn't good??

He plays just as many minutes as Jacobsen. Who averages 1 rebound less per game... c'mon man.

Also, another stat not based on assists. No one on the team turns it over more than Ed except for Tai. I'd expect Tai and Glynn, both acting as PG's to be there. But nope, he even turns it over more than Glynn does. This is where I say his "energy" on the boards (ripping balls out of his teammates hands) is probably good for the 2 TO's he averages a game.

Jacobson shoots 39% as a big man who also isn't shooting 3's to bring down his % - that is horrific for a big man.