247Sports Director of Recruiting: "Riley's vision at Nebraska coming together"

It's humorous how many on here are bagging on the past two years performances. The tools MR had to work with were just not up to par with what is needed in this conference. Armstrong was bad... really bad. Yes, occasionally his YOLO bombs would land in a lucky spot but can you imagine trying to coach that? I for one give the guy a couple mulligans based on what he had to start with. This is year one in my book. If the product on the field doesn't yield results by 2019 then we have reason to tell the guy to kick rocks...

Year one?

Yeah, Tommy was a 4* like O'Brien and Gebbia, but he was trash.

:facepalm:

Dude was recruited for a different system. He must have had something that gained the interest of Chip Kelly, Art Briles, Garry Patterson, and Kevin Sumlin for them to offer him.

We are still mentioning Briles as a god around here?
Hes a scumbag, but that doesn't take away from his ability to coach.

But I would hope it would preclude his ability to be hired by Nebraska.

I wasn't hinting at wanting him to come here. It was about the coaches whose offered Tommy a scholarship.

We need to at the bare minimum make the CCG this year. It would be nice to be the first team to get the west a win, because the east division is undefeated so far. Riley has his accurate quarterback and plethora of offensive talent, and couple that with a defense that will take us to the next level and we will be good. We are heading in the right direction to compete with the elite teams of the conference and I hope we upset one of those elite teams. One game at a time and the team needs to have everyone prepared to play and make a difference in the game. Sometimes back up players have come up big when a better player in front of them goes down.

Do we though Teach? I feel like we are seeing things take place in the Riley era that we haven't seen really ever. I think it is fair to change the definition of progress when someone presents a new way of doing things. Riley is following a championship formula in a way past coaches haven't. To me that should count for something. Results on the field must mirror this perception, but I think it is fair to allow this method Riley has brought to work a little longer than what Billy C or Pelini was given. Just because they showed they weren't willing to change. They stuck with their methods that weren't yielding the results we needed. Riley on the other hand seems to evaluate as he goes and make changes where he sees fit to improve on his results. Will it work out in the end? I don't know but I sure do think his method has a much better chance of yielding favorable results than what we have seen the last 15 years

If this was his third year coaching, sure. But it is his 25th year coaching. So he can't have a crap season...he can't lose to crap teams.

He can't lose to cruddy teams, for sure. Even if he pulls off an occasional upset. Gotta win the games you are suppose to win.

25th year, but not all at Nebraska. I mean, even Mack Brown took 22 years to win a championship (his 8th season at UT). And that would be his only one in 29 years or so as a head football coach. I've never like Mack until he retired and went into the halftime booth, but they stuck with him.

If he loses to Iowa this year at home… I think he's going to be fired. I know some of you Will say "but what if he's undefeated at the time"…But let's face it that's probably not going to be the case and in Iowa lost at the end of the year at home will be the nail in the coffin.

Do we though Teach? I feel like we are seeing things take place in the Riley era that we haven't seen really ever. I think it is fair to change the definition of progress when someone presents a new way of doing things. Riley is following a championship formula in a way past coaches haven't. To me that should count for something. Results on the field must mirror this perception, but I think it is fair to allow this method Riley has brought to work a little longer than what Billy C or Pelini was given. Just because they showed they weren't willing to change. They stuck with their methods that weren't yielding the results we needed. Riley on the other hand seems to evaluate as he goes and make changes where he sees fit to improve on his results. Will it work out in the end? I don't know but I sure do think his method has a much better chance of yielding favorable results than what we have seen the last 15 years

If this was his third year coaching, sure. But it is his 25th year coaching. So he can't have a crap season...he can't lose to crap teams.
He can't lose to cruddy teams, for sure. Even if he pulls off an occasional upset. Gotta win the games you are suppose to win.

25th year, but not all at Nebraska. I mean, even Mack Brown took 22 years to win a championship (his 8th season at UT). And that would be his only one in 29 years or so as a head football coach. I've never like Mack until he retired and went into the halftime booth, but they stuck with him.

If he loses to Iowa this year at home I think he's going to be fired. I know some of you Will say "but what if he's undefeated at the time"But let's face it that's probably not going to be the case and in Iowa lost at the end of the year at home will be the nail in the coffin.

Even then I still don't see SE firing him.

If he loses to Iowa this year at home I think he's going to be fired. I know some of you Will say "but what if he's undefeated at the time"But let's face it that's probably not going to be the case and in Iowa lost at the end of the year at home will be the nail in the coffin.

Even then I still don't see SE firing him.

Agree. It's not going to be all about wins and losses this season. If we're on the verge of a monster recruiting class, like we very well could be, there's no way he gets fired IMO. Now if the wheels start falling off and players start de-committing and the like, then we're having a different discussion.

I agree with that but we need to assess progress differently in this case because while on the field we have made no progress over our last HC I would argue as a program we have definitely moved the needle.

I do agree we cannot justify a 6 win season and that is not acceptable, but I think we can't label a 9 win season as more of the same because as a program we seem to be doing more of the things the champions do

Depends how the 9 wins happen. If we have blowout losses (ala '16) or lose to bad teams ('15), then it's pretty easy to say it's more the same. But close losses to say, @ Oregon, OSU, and @ PSU could be a positive thing, depending how their seasons go.

So far, we're hanging our hat on improved recruiting, which is important, but you gotta win games too.

Still don't think that should take away from the improvement in the program image and culture as a whole.

That's fine, but it's not reality. The fans show up to see a winning product.

Most fans show up to watch/cheer their team and they hope it wins, not everyone has an entitlement attitude.

Lmao.... It's been 18 years since Nebraska last won a conference title, 16 since NU was nationally relevant. Wanting a successful program isn't entitlement. Not even close.

I think there's a huge difference between what you said and what I said.