247Sports Director of Recruiting: "Riley's vision at Nebraska coming together"

I wonder if Riley being Eichorst's guy if he will be given more time than Bo was. HCMR seems to be much more welled like amongst the boosters and athletic department than Bo was. (Outsiders perspective, it's obviously an assumption as I'm neither a booster or in the a.d.). Also the total perspective of the Nebraska Football program across the nation is way better than it was under Bo. The only reason we were ever on ESPN was to show Bo throwing a fit on the sideline, or being an ass to the media after a game. With HCMR it's upbeat and mostly about the positive trend in our recruiting.

Unless we have back to back terrible losing seasons, I think Riley will be here until 2019 and that is when our play on the field will really go through the roof and we will be a legit contender for conference titles, and possibly even a playoff bid

Eh, I kinda agree, but it really didn't after 2012. Until the A&M game in 2010, NU was getting lots of local love, and NU was seen in a positive light nationally. That game started the turn of the fanbase. Hell, even after that, the vast majority of the fanbase was still in love with Bo for awhile. It wasn't until after we started getting housed by Wisconsin in 2011 and the lovely 2012 B1G CCG that people started really turning.

Totally agree!

And if we are all honest, we know that a 6 win season will equal a new head coach. Riley was not brought here to change this imaginary horrible culture… Riley was brought here to win a lot of football games and because he had so much experience it was pretty much assumed that he would be able to win football games pretty easily. And not get his ass handed to him by teams like Iowa.

• Fire 1

I wonder if Riley being Eichorst's guy if he will be given more time than Bo was. HCMR seems to be much more welled like amongst the boosters and athletic department than Bo was. (Outsiders perspective, it's obviously an assumption as I'm neither a booster or in the a.d.). Also the total perspective of the Nebraska Football program across the nation is way better than it was under Bo. The only reason we were ever on ESPN was to show Bo throwing a fit on the sideline, or being an ass to the media after a game. With HCMR it's upbeat and mostly about the positive trend in our recruiting.

Unless we have back to back terrible losing seasons, I think Riley will be here until 2019 and that is when our play on the field will really go through the roof and we will be a legit contender for conference titles, and possibly even a playoff bid

Eh, I kinda agree, but it really didn't after 2012. Until the A&M game in 2010, NU was getting lots of local love, and NU was seen in a positive light nationally. That game started the turn of the fanbase. Hell, even after that, the vast majority of the fanbase was still in love with Bo for awhile. It wasn't until after we started getting housed by Wisconsin in 2011 and the lovely 2012 B1G CCG that people started really turning.

Totally agree!

And if we are all honest, we know that a 6 win season will equal a new head coach. Riley was not brought here to change this imaginary horrible culture… Riley was brought here to win a lot of football games and because he had so much experience it was pretty much assumed that he would be able to win football games pretty easily. And not get his ass handed to him by teams like Iowa.

Still don't know if he is fired for a 6 win season. It really depends how he lost those other games. Truthfully.

I'd be really disappointed. But, still Riled up.

Do we though Teach? I feel like we are seeing things take place in the Riley era that we haven't seen really ever. I think it is fair to change the definition of progress when someone presents a new way of doing things. Riley is following a championship formula in a way past coaches haven't. To me that should count for something. Results on the field must mirror this perception, but I think it is fair to allow this method Riley has brought to work a little longer than what Billy C or Pelini was given. Just because they showed they weren't willing to change. They stuck with their methods that weren't yielding the results we needed. Riley on the other hand seems to evaluate as he goes and make changes where he sees fit to improve on his results. Will it work out in the end? I don't know but I sure do think his method has a much better chance of yielding favorable results than what we have seen the last 15 years

If this was his third year coaching, sure. But it is his 25th year coaching. So he can't have a crap season...he can't lose to crap teams.
I agree with that but we need to assess progress differently in this case because while on the field we have made no progress over our last HC I would argue as a program we have definitely moved the needle.

I do agree we cannot justify a 6 win season and that is not acceptable, but I think we can't label a 9 win season as more of the same because as a program we seem to be doing more of the things the champions do

Depends how the 9 wins happen. If we have blowout losses (ala '16) or lose to bad teams ('15), then it's pretty easy to say it's more the same. But close losses to say, @ Oregon, OSU, and @ PSU could be a positive thing, depending how their seasons go.

So far, we're hanging our hat on improved recruiting, which is important, but you gotta win games too.

Still don't think that should take away from the improvement in the program image and culture as a whole.

That's fine, but it's not reality. The fans show up to see a winning product.
Yes they do but regardless of the results this year the changes Riley is making within the program are being made to create high end, long term on field results. I get that it is a win now world and the on field results are "all that matters" but the approach Riley has taken to his job thus far to me is pretty important as well.
  • Fire 1

Do we though Teach? I feel like we are seeing things take place in the Riley era that we haven't seen really ever. I think it is fair to change the definition of progress when someone presents a new way of doing things. Riley is following a championship formula in a way past coaches haven't. To me that should count for something. Results on the field must mirror this perception, but I think it is fair to allow this method Riley has brought to work a little longer than what Billy C or Pelini was given. Just because they showed they weren't willing to change. They stuck with their methods that weren't yielding the results we needed. Riley on the other hand seems to evaluate as he goes and make changes where he sees fit to improve on his results. Will it work out in the end? I don't know but I sure do think his method has a much better chance of yielding favorable results than what we have seen the last 15 years

If this was his third year coaching, sure. But it is his 25th year coaching. So he can't have a crap season...he can't lose to crap teams.
I agree with that but we need to assess progress differently in this case because while on the field we have made no progress over our last HC I would argue as a program we have definitely moved the needle.

I do agree we cannot justify a 6 win season and that is not acceptable, but I think we can't label a 9 win season as more of the same because as a program we seem to be doing more of the things the champions do

Depends how the 9 wins happen. If we have blowout losses (ala '16) or lose to bad teams ('15), then it's pretty easy to say it's more the same. But close losses to say, @ Oregon, OSU, and @ PSU could be a positive thing, depending how their seasons go.

So far, we're hanging our hat on improved recruiting, which is important, but you gotta win games too.

Still don't think that should take away from the improvement in the program image and culture as a whole.

Yes they do but regardless of the results this year the changes Riley is making within the program are being made to create high end, long term on field results. I get that it is a win now world and the on field results are "all that matters" but the approach Riley has taken to his job thus far to me is pretty important as well.

Exactly.

The changes we are seeing potentially have long term effects. Unfortunately for impatient fans, those results sometimes take some time to come to fruition.

There is definitely a change in the program that is for the better. Unless some really stupid decisions are made prematurely, I firmly believe we will ultimately see results from this.

• Fire 2

It's humorous how many on here are bagging on the past two years performances. The tools MR had to work with were just not up to par with what is needed in this conference. Armstrong was bad... really bad. Yes, occasionally his YOLO bombs would land in a lucky spot but can you imagine trying to coach that? I for one give the guy a couple mulligans based on what he had to start with. This is year one in my book. If the product on the field doesn't yield results by 2019 then we have reason to tell the guy to kick rocks...

Most fans show up to watch/cheer their team and they hope it wins, not everyone has an entitlement attitude.

Most fans show up to watch/cheer their team and they hope it wins, not everyone has an entitlement attitude.

Lmao.... It's been 18 years since Nebraska last won a conference title, 16 since NU was nationally relevant. Wanting a successful program isn't entitlement. Not even close.

• Fire 1

I love this idea that if we wait long enough Riley will have a good season… I agree… That will happen… But he's average seasons should be nine and 10 wins…with the conference they are in...Purdue, NW, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota...those should all be wins..add in two non-conference wins and you are already at 7 wins. Am I the only one who remembers all the talk of how they were always 7 to 8 built in wins into Nebraska schedule? And that a monkey could coach the team to nine wins? That hasn't changed. Stop changing it.

If you get a head coach 10 seasons or so I'm going to guess that they will probably have one "great" season in there. It's bound to happen. We did not hire Riley for that… We hired him because of his experience and because of his ability…

• Fire 3

It's humorous how many on here are bagging on the past two years performances. The tools MR had to work with were just not up to par with what is needed in this conference. Armstrong was bad... really bad. Yes, occasionally his YOLO bombs would land in a lucky spot but can you imagine trying to coach that? I for one give the guy a couple mulligans based on what he had to start with. This is year one in my book. If the product on the field doesn't yield results by 2019 then we have reason to tell the guy to kick rocks...

Year one?

• Fire 2

Lmao.... It's been 18 years since Nebraska last won a conference title, 16 since NU was nationally relevant. Wanting a successful program isn't entitlement. Not even close.

That's some what of a straw man argument and it gets thrown out any time someone says patience is needed.

Everyone is frustrated without winning a conference championship in 18 years. But, that doesn't mean that once a major change is made like it was two years ago with the hire of Riley, that he won't need time to put in place what is needed for long term success in the program.

• Fire 1

Year one?

What would be the monkey's record in year 3 at NU?

• Fire 1

Year one?

Yeah, Tommy was a 4* like O'Brien and Gebbia, but he was trash.

:facepalm:

Dude was recruited for a different system. He must have had something that gained the interest of Chip Kelly, Art Briles, Garry Patterson, and Kevin Sumlin for them to offer him.

• Fire 1

Technically, Nebraska was nationally relevant six months ago, when it entered the Wisconsin game ranked #7, and a week later when it only dropped two spots after a hard fought loss in Camp Randall that seemed to impress the pundits.

Wheels came off that next week against Ohio State. We were a paper tiger after all. Still...Nebraska was technically relevant going into the last regular season game against Iowa when it still had a shot at the CC game. And the Huskers put in another paper tiger performance.

It's time for the Huskers to win one or more of those games. Everyone gets that. It's not entitlement. It's just more fun. And as of this year Riley can take all the credit/blame for himself. I don't think he'd mind that a bit.

Since I don't know what will happen until it happens, I'm going to err on the side of optimism because....why not?

• Fire 1