Next Generation: Nebraska Signee Andrew Ward's Journey From Homeless To The Huskers

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/next-generation-andrew-ward

"MUSKEGON, Mich. — Andrew Ward sat alone on the curb in front of his childhood home surrounded by broken glass, a box full of toys for a 6-month-old and a sofa.

“Stay here,” he was told that morning, “and make sure no one takes our things.”

And so the 13-year-old sat, in jeans and a blue Detroit Lions hoodie, in front of his empty home on a chilly October morning in 2013.

He’d thought today was moving day. At least that’s what he’d been told.

So Ward woke up early, excited with the promise of a new place. And while his mom took care of his 6-month-old brother, Emmanuel, Ward and his older cousin unpacked the house. They loaded a truck and drove family heirlooms and dressers to a storage unit.

After a few trips, a sheriff and the landlord showed up at the house. They began to help move things out onto the porch to expedite the process, which made Ward happy. Less work for him, he thought.

When the Michigan fall began to bite, and Ward’s cousin wanted to go inside to warm up, the sheriff blocked the door while the landlord, wielding a power drill, removed the locks. The sheriff stuck out a hand.

“This isn’t your home anymore,” he said.

In the yard, that’s when Ward put it together. They weren’t moving. They were being evicted. And now homeless."

Absolutely amazing read on incoming linebacker Andrew Ward. Will definitely be cheering for this man even harder now. Glad to have him in the fold and in an environment where him and his family can succeed.

• Fire 2

Wow. How can you not root for this young man. I'm so glad he not only has a chance to play division 1 college football but even moreso that he also has the opportunity to now get his college degree. Very, very cool.

This. I'd say the ability to get a degree for trade is more than anything for this young man. To be able to get a degree and be able to get a good job at the end of it are priceless for what he's been through.

• Fire 1

Wow. How can you not root for this young man. I'm so glad he not only has a chance to play division 1 college football but even moreso that he also has the opportunity to now get his college degree. Very, very cool.

Completely agree. If he makes it to the NFL...Great. But, I would even be more happy for this kid if he got his education and then started on a life long successful career doing something other than sports.

I'm instantly a fan of this kid and rooting for him.

• Fire 1