Erdogan's thugs beat up Americans - meeting with Trump still on

In no way shape or form should you take this question as a defense of these people.

But, what were the demonstrators doing before they were attacked?

I think that's a valid question. If they instigated the issue then they're at least partly to blame, and rightly so.

However, I have yet to see any report that says they were doing anything other than peacefully holding signs. They may have been chanting, or calling out anti-Erdogan slogans - none of which should precipitate such a response from Erdogan's thugs.

• Fire 2

In no way shape or form should you take this question as a defense of these people.

But, what were the demonstrators doing before they were attacked?

I think that's a valid question. If they instigated the issue then they're at least partly to blame, and rightly so.

However, I have yet to see any report that says they were doing anything other than peacefully holding signs. They may have been chanting, or calling out anti-Erdogan slogans - none of which should precipitate such a response from Erdogan's thugs.

The reason the question came to mind is the picture of the woman being choked appears to be close to cars. Is either car in the picture Erdogen's car? If so, that is very close and I would assume that the US secret service wouldn't take too kindly to demonstrators getting within arm's length of the President's limo either.

It's a question worth asking.

Here's a video that begins before the one we've all seen. It's from a Turk who bills himself as a "freelance journalist" who describes the situation as a typical tactic of the "PKK" who are Turkish Kurds seeking independence from Turkey, where the PKK attacks, then are beaten back.

Problem with this video is that the sound is overdubbed by music and you can't hear/understand what happened, and it still doesn't start at the beginning, so we still don't know if the protesters started it or Erdogan's thugs started it.

Comments later in this tweet thread say this "freelance journalist" writes for a Turkish newspaper, which is sympathetic to Erdogan.

EDIT - to answer BRB's question about where Erdogan was, he was not in any of the cars you see in the picture of the woman being choked. He was about 50 yards away, in a driveway, apparently watching the melee.

I can see how bodyguards would attempt to beat down aggressive protesters within 50 yards of a nation's leader. Still, everything I've read says the Turkish bodyguards started it.

Everything I have read also claims the body guards started it. But, what I don't know is are those accounts only coming from one side? Are they coming from American eye witnesses or the demonstrators themselves?

From what you said about the PKK. I would also like to know were these demonstrators American citizens or people who were previously living here in the US? Or, did they come here specifically to demonstrate Erdogan visiting?

Everything I have read also claims the body guards started it. But, what I don't know is are those accounts only coming from one side? Are they coming from American eye witnesses or the demonstrators themselves?

From what you said about the PKK. I would also like to know were these demonstrators American citizens or people who were previously living here in the US? Or, did they come here specifically to demonstrate Erdogan visiting?

It's unclear what percentage of the demonstrators were American citizens but at least some of them were. The woman being choked is an American.

What really boils my blood is that this happened on US soil. I agree with McCain - kick them all out of the US. Let Turkey come back to the table after this abhorrent act.

• Fire 4

It's unclear what percentage of the demonstrators were American citizens but at least some of them were. The woman being choked is an American.

What really boils my blood is that this happened on US soil. I agree with McCain - kick them all out of the US. Let Turkey come back to the table after this abhorrent act.

Oh, I agree with the bolded and that should have been expressed to Erdogan during the meeting if not BEFORE the meeting.

Oh, I agree with the bolded and that should have been expressed to Erdogan during the meeting if not BEFORE the meeting.

Unfortunately, Trump loves authoritarians like Erdogan, so our president will do nothing.

• Fire 1

Instead it is Turkey calling for the ouster of a US diplomat: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/turkeys-top-diplomat-calls-for-ouster-of-american-envoy-in-dispute-over-kurds/2017/05/18/13854f2e-3bca-11e7-a59b-26e0451a96fd_story.html?utm_term=.5e6e2d2cd18d

Trump appears to have remained silent on Erdogan since this attack. Prior to it, he called welcoming Recep Erdogan a “great honor”: https://theintercept.com/2017/05/17/trump-praises-erdogan-whose-bodyguards-assault-protesters-washington/

Pro-Erdogan outlets are in lock step with Erdogan’s security detail in (falsely, according to The Intercept) blaming the affair on the failure of D.C. police to stifle protest. At least one would hope the U.S. continues to aspire to a distinctly non-Beijing, non-Ankara way of responding to demonstration.

America first except when it comes to Trump’s dictator pals and their thuggery, hey? I’m sure we’ll see some argument about how these people, despite some of them being American citizens, are just Kurdish and therefore not really really ‘American’, you know, the kind of Americans Trump promised to protect.

Why is ANY of this surprising anyone?

And, as I stated above, why is anyone surprised Trump said or did nothing about this? This is a guy who, during the campaign, routinely and actively encouraged his supporters to beat up those who opposed him.

I'm curious why you think shock & anger is "surprise." We were all here throughout the campaign and through the past four months. We all knew what we were getting into.

Okay, then why is there shock and anger over this? As you stated, we were all here the last four months and through the campaign.

Clarify: I get the anger part. But "shock" or to use the (in this instance synonym) surprised? Allowing bodyguards to beat up protestors, yeah, this is Trump in his truest form.

It's both surprising and it isn't. It's good that we retain our ability to see these things as shocking. Yet of course we knew (or should have) that to elect Trump was to sign up for an unending series of stunningly revolting events.