CFN Big Ten Preview: Big Ten Football Golden Age

Man. We are getting absolutely no love from anybody, anywhere these days. If that doesn't help light a fire under our team and motivate them, I don't know what ever will.

Which is starting to make me think that maybe we as fans are looking through rose colored glasses. So far in all the yearly preseason previews, not a single pick to get 2nd place in our division, let alone win it. Then you have the vegas over/under starting at 6.5 and holding around 7.5 now, which lines up with the 7-5/8-4 predictions.

If Nebraska goes 7-5 this year, they have to at least win the division next year for people to keep their jobs, right?

Yeah, it's all really making me wonder if I've got it all wrong.

IMO, only 7 wins this year would be time to pull the plug. I'm tired of next year...next year...next year. In the end, the more important thing to me is how they play and what the product on the field looks like. With our schedule, I see no reason that shouldn't translate to at least 9 wins this year. We're in the B1G West for godsakes. I'm done with injury and transition excuses. I know it's maybe not fair but this is the tell all season for me. Either these systems will work and these guys can coach or they won't and can't.

I agree. We out recruit our peers (both currently and historically), so the "lack of talent" isn't really it, and you can only sell hope and future success for so long.

• Fire 1

The writer isn't wrong.

Nebraska is one of the most inconsistent programs on a yearly basis. Look great one week lay an egg the next. It's happened literally every year since 2001

The writer has reason to doubt Nebraska. But the writer also lists Arkansas State as the OOC game for us to worry about instead of Oregon because he has already penciled that in as a Husker loss. He also names Ferentz a legendary coach which is bending that tag to it's absolute limit. He also says Harbaugh is on the hot seat after naming him among those great coaches.

The writer is as inconsistent as Nebraska if we are being fair.

• Fire 2

Man. We are getting absolutely no love from anybody, anywhere these days. If that doesn't help light a fire under our team and motivate them, I don't know what ever will.

Which is starting to make me think that maybe we as fans are looking through rose colored glasses. So far in all the yearly preseason previews, not a single pick to get 2nd place in our division, let alone win it. Then you have the vegas over/under starting at 6.5 and holding around 7.5 now, which lines up with the 7-5/8-4 predictions.

If Nebraska goes 7-5 this year, they have to at least win the division next year for people to keep their jobs, right?

IMO, only 7 wins this year would be time to pull the plug. I'm tired of next year...next year...next year. In the end, the more important thing to me is how they play and what the product on the field looks like. With our schedule, I see no reason that shouldn't translate to at least 9 wins this year. We're in the B1G West for godsakes. I'm done with injury and transition excuses. I know it's maybe not fair but this is the tell all season for me. Either these systems will work and these guys can coach or they won't and can't.

I agree. We out recruit our peers (both currently and historically), so the "lack of talent" isn't really it, and you can only sell hope and future success for so long.

I am with you guys...I am starting think that a lot of us are being fans and not thinking with our brains.

• Fire 2

The writer isn't wrong.

Nebraska is one of the most inconsistent programs on a yearly basis. Look great one week lay an egg the next. It's happened literally every year since 2001

The writer has reason to doubt Nebraska. But the writer also lists Arkansas State as the OOC game for us to worry about instead of Oregon because he has already penciled that in as a Husker loss. He also names Ferentz a legendary coach which is bending that tag to it's absolute limit. He also says Harbaugh is on the hot seat after naming him among those great coaches.

The writer is as inconsistent as Nebraska if we are being fair.

That's not what that means, at all. The "take it seriously" segment is for mid-major or G5 teams that you could lose to. Notice how all the games on that list are G5 teams.

With the schedule Nebraska has this year, a well coached team should win at least 9 games. A really good coaching staff shouldn't take more than 3 years to build a championship contending program at a place like Nebraska.

• Fire 3

I am with you guys...I am starting think that a lot of us are being fans and not thinking with our brains.

Naaa....this just shows the laziness of sports writers.

Vegas came out with a 6.5 over/under for wins. The general public obviously overwhelmingly didn't agree with that and it quickly rose from there. If I remember right, the juice is pretty high for overs also which indicates the public doesn't believe it and is going heavily for the overs.

Meanwhile, sports writers start seeing stuff like that and start writing questionable comments about Nebraska. Each time some lazy sports writer goes to write a prediction like this, he/she knows they are going to get more and more clicks the more radical they make the horrible condition Nebraska is in sound. Writing the same thing the last lazy writer wrote doesn't make money. You have to go one step farther.

Meanwhile, their media outlet is making money over the off season getting Husker fans all up in a lather. Once the games start, all of these predictions are forgotten and reality sets in.

I believe this is a 9-11 win team. And...that's not even a comment meaning..."they better win or else". It's just where I think we are with the schedule we have.

• Fire 1

What is it with these magazines and the facination with Minnesota and PJ Fleck. Sorry I think he is going to have buy in issues after they fired a pretty popular coach.

He turned around Western Michigan, and went 13-1 last year landed a New Years Six Bowl.

As a WMU alum, I'm a little biased. However, I think Fleck is legit. He's cheesy in his own way (Row the boat...for the Broncos and Gophers?) just like Riley, but he's a good coach. That said I don't think he rights the ship in one year. There's a serious overhaul that needs to be done in MN. I think he'll get his chance at a great school though someday. I wanted him at NU when we were going for the Riley hire.

Yeah, I don't think it's a year one turnaround either. But, if I had to bet, I think he's going to get Minnesota going.

That is my point, I am not saying he isn't a good coach, but the coaching world is littered with guys that were going to be the next great thing. I think he gets some things done at Minnesota evenentually, but to think that he is going to come in and win 10 games just because he is PJ Fleck is dumb.

Vegas came out with a 6.5 over/under for wins. The general public obviously overwhelmingly didn't agree with that and it quickly rose from there. If I remember right, the juice is pretty high for overs also which indicates the public doesn't believe it and is going heavily for the overs.

Meanwhile, sports writers start seeing stuff like that and start writing questionable comments about Nebraska. Each time some lazy sports writer goes to write a prediction like this, he/she knows they are going to get more and more clicks the more radical they make the horrible condition Nebraska is in sound. Writing the same thing the last lazy writer wrote doesn't make money. You have to go one step farther.

Meanwhile, their media outlet is making money over the off season getting Husker fans all up in a lather. Once the games start, all of these predictions are forgotten and reality sets in.

I believe this is a 9-11 win team. And...that's not even a comment meaning..."they better win or else". It's just where I think we are with the schedule we have.

Oh yeah, I agree that a lot of these guys don't really go in-depth with certain teams. I can remember and I am sure you do too when NU was awesome and they would have pages written about them in all the magazines. Now they are kind of glossed over.

I think they are at worst a 9 win team.

Now, with all that said...these writers have to know they would get more clicks if they were positive about NU instead of negative. We are a fan base that so desperately wants positive news/spin. Shoot, we had fans digging up old articles on Oregon State just to find positive things about Riley from 10 years ago.

Like I said, 9 wins at worst but then I start thinking (with my brain) and I think...well shoot, they could lose to Oregon, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minny, NW and PSU and of course crap the bed vs a Purdue, Ark St or IL. Sadly it would not shot me if they lost to those teams.

• Fire 1

Oh yeah, I agree that a lot of these guys don't really go in-depth with certain teams. I can remember and I am sure you do too when NU was awesome and they would have pages written about them in all the magazines. Now they are kind of glossed over.

Now, with all that said...these writers have to know they would get more clicks if they were positive about NU instead of negative. We are a fan base that so desperately wants positive news/spin. Shoot, we had fans digging up old articles on Oregon State just to find positive things about Riley from 10 years ago.

Like I said, 9 wins at worst but then I start thinking (with my brain) and I think...well shoot, they could lose to Oregon, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minny, NW and PSU and of course crap the bed vs a Purdue, Ark St or IL. Sadly it would not shot me if they lost to those teams.

Not necessarily. Look at the attention this article received by us just in this thread.

I'll admit, Nebraska has put themselves in the position that writing this stuff is easy. Until Nebraska proves it, they aren't going to write that they are going to go beat OSU, Michigan or PSU and win the conference. However, writing that they are going to win 9 or 10 wins doesn't create buzz and traffic to their site.

BUT....if you can talk about how horrible a former power is and how they don't have any talent and how they might even struggle to beat lowly Arkansas state........THAT creates clicks.

I'd give you that argument for guys like that Scott Bilo dude... but Athlon, Phil Steele, and Bill Connelly?

Sorry, that just doesn't hold water.

• Fire 2

Not necessarily. Look at the attention this article received by us just in this thread.

I'll admit, Nebraska has put themselves in the position that writing this stuff is easy. Until Nebraska proves it, they aren't going to write that they are going to go beat OSU, Michigan or PSU and win the conference. However, writing that they are going to win 9 or 10 wins doesn't create buzz and traffic to their site.

BUT....if you can talk about how horrible a former power is and how they don't have any talent and how they might even struggle to beat lowly Arkansas state........THAT creates clicks.

This isn't really any argument that's being used in these previews. And it's really only been a thing for the last few years by the local guys.