CFN Big Ten Preview: Big Ten Football Golden Age

The writer isn't wrong.

Nebraska is one of the most inconsistent programs on a yearly basis. Look great one week lay an egg the next. It's happened literally every year since 2001

The writer has reason to doubt Nebraska. But the writer also lists Arkansas State as the OOC game for us to worry about instead of Oregon because he has already penciled that in as a Husker loss. He also names Ferentz a legendary coach which is bending that tag to it's absolute limit. He also says Harbaugh is on the hot seat after naming him among those great coaches.

The writer is as inconsistent as Nebraska if we are being fair.

Redux, would you say Bill Snyder is legendary? I'm not going to say Ferentz is legendary but to win at Iowa is like trying to win at KState.

He's done a really good job of building an identity and being successful with it has he not?

I'm with ya, more so than my post would have you believe

I would be interested to see their side by side records and accomishments, I would rank Snyder ahead of Ferentz right now cold.

Snyder, easily. But he's a HOF all time HC too.

The writer isn't wrong.

Nebraska is one of the most inconsistent programs on a yearly basis. Look great one week lay an egg the next. It's happened literally every year since 2001

The writer has reason to doubt Nebraska. But the writer also lists Arkansas State as the OOC game for us to worry about instead of Oregon because he has already penciled that in as a Husker loss. He also names Ferentz a legendary coach which is bending that tag to it's absolute limit. He also says Harbaugh is on the hot seat after naming him among those great coaches.

That's not what that means, at all. The "take it seriously" segment is for mid-major or G5 teams that you could lose to. Notice how all the games on that list are G5 teams.

Arkansas State probably had a better season last year than Oregon did, no? If this writer is trying to inform his audience, I would start there. Nebraska isn't going to take their opening week game lightly, suggesting that we will is just stupid.

We did in 2015 against BYU. And again, this is a thing they do for evey conference. Look at the P5 vs. G5 matchups, and see which ones the P5 team could reasonably stand to lose.

I don't think that we tooK BYU lightly. That was first game new staff, we could have easily won but players and coaches were nowhere near on the same page yet.

Yes I get the whole shtick of playing up that a G5 team could come an upset a big boy. Makes reading drivel somewhat okay.

The writer isn't wrong.

That's not what that means, at all. The "take it seriously" segment is for mid-major or G5 teams that you could lose to. Notice how all the games on that list are G5 teams.

Arkansas State probably had a better season last year than Oregon did, no? If this writer is trying to inform his audience, I would start there. Nebraska isn't going to take their opening week game lightly, suggesting that we will is just stupid.

We did in 2015 against BYU. And again, this is a thing they do for evey conference. Look at the P5 vs. G5 matchups, and see which ones the P5 team could reasonably stand to lose.

I don't think that we tooK BYU lightly. That was first game new staff, we could have easily won but players and coaches were nowhere near on the same page yet.

Yes I get the whole shtick of playing up that a G5 team could come an upset a big boy. Makes reading drivel somewhat okay.

I mean, it happens every year, and it's almost happened to us a few times recently. The one they missed from that list is Wyoming @ Iowa.

And I'll even give you that this article is a bit more negative than the norm, but there's a consensus forming this year that Nebraska is a 7-8 win team.

That's not encouraging.

It sure isn't. I hope we don't find out that Riley was in fact just an average coach. If Gary Anderson wins 9 games at OSU this year...well

Well WHAT? I have talked to several OSU fans and not one has said that Riley was a bad coach - most say that things had just gone stale and it was time for a change. MR is not showing any signs of being stale at NU. You seem to show signs that you want Riley to be average.... The current recruiting shows that the players see no signs of average around the NU program.

Hoping that we see more success on the field this season-because that will take the recruiting to a higher level and should quiet some of the doubters!!!!

And I'll even give you that this article is a bit more negative than the norm, but there's a consensus forming this year that Nebraska is a 7-8 win team.

That's not encouraging.

It sure isn't. I hope we don't find out that Riley was in fact just an average coach. If Gary Anderson wins 9 games at OSU this year...well

Well WHAT? I have talked to several OSU fans and not one has said that Riley was a bad coach - most say that things had just gone stale and it was time for a change. MR is not showing any signs of being stale at NU. You seem to show signs that you want Riley to be average.... The current recruiting shows that the players see no signs of average around the NU program.

Hoping that we see more success on the field this season-because that will take the recruiting to a higher level and should quiet some of the doubters!!!!

Well, this is what.

See, many many many Husker fans are holding on really hard to the idea that Riley worked miracles at Oregon State and that basically no one could accomplish what he accomplished there (Even though Dennis Erickson did even better) so now if Gary Anderson starts winning at Oregon State it will sort of destroy the thing that many Husker fans are holding near and dear.

So for the most part, us Husker fans do not want to see Gary Anderson turn Oregon State into a consistent 9 win team.

Now...if Riley starts winning here and winning big then no one will care at all what Anderson does.

• Fire 3

That's not encouraging.

To play devil's advocate, we said the same thing in 06/07 too. Recruiting is important, but it's not the only thing that matters. You gotta win the games.

It will be interesting. If a lot of these guys are right and the team sucks I guess it means the Riley experiment is over. If the team does great, we get to do a lot of chest beating.

Sounds like you hope it will be over, however it isn't an experiment and it will not be over after this season. The recruiting momentum is too large and this wave will not be stopped any time soon!!!

That's not encouraging.

To play devil's advocate, we said the same thing in 06/07 too. Recruiting is important, but it's not the only thing that matters. You gotta win the games.

Agree 100% - W/L is everything however not in the first few seasons. The beginning years is about developing a program and recruits are the #1 way to show that development / followed by developing them into D1 college players and then finally followed by success on the field with W's and Championships. MR has always shown that he will take the steady sure path to bring NU back and with that the upward curve is a year or two slower. Years 3/4 will be about developing players and showing that the on field product looks like it has potential - if that happens then MR will be judged on Championships and W's in years 5/6....

The writer isn't wrong.

There is a difference between opening against Arkansas St and BYU. BYU is traditionally a very good solid team basically a P5 independent Arkansas St. is a good team in their wt class a lot of years. They had a good season in 2016, but lost a lot of players to graduation. They will not be a slouch and I am sure they will not take them lightly, but NU should win by 3 tds.

• Fire 1

That's not encouraging.

Well, this is what.

See, many many many Husker fans are holding on really hard to the idea that Riley worked miracles at Oregon State and that basically no one could accomplish what he accomplished there (Even though Dennis Erickson did even better) so now if Gary Anderson starts winning at Oregon State it will sort of destroy the thing that many Husker fans are holding near and dear.

So for the most part, us Husker fans do not want to see Gary Anderson turn Oregon State into a consistent 9 win team.

Now...if Riley starts winning here and winning big then no one will care at all what Anderson does.

Your last line is 100% accurate - the rest doesn't mean sh*t about NU. There are enough people that WORK in the business of football that say MR is solid so I really don't need OSU and GA and DE to determine how good MR really is. He has created a staff that seems 80% solid and we will have a better idea of the remaining 20% after this season. I have said the same about Miles and that is: I care more that the kids are buying in then if 100% of the fans are.....

It will be interesting. If a lot of these guys are right and the team sucks I guess it means the Riley experiment is over. If the team does great, we get to do a lot of chest beating.

Sounds like you hope it will be over, however it isn't an experiment and it will not be over after this season. The recruiting momentum is too large and this wave will not be stopped any time soon!!!

I hope you're right and I think you may very well be. BUT recruiting means absolutely zip if it doesn't transition to winning football games and competing for division and conference crowns. It is time for the fruits of the labor to start paying dividends.

• Fire 1

That's not encouraging.

Well, this is what.

Question: at this point, why does anyone still give a sh#t about what Riley did at Oregon State? It was obviously a good topic for debate when he was first hired, and I was among the more vocal ones about hiring a .500 coach from a bottom-feeder school, but now, a few years later? I'm really only concerned about what Riley is doing at Nebraska, and I sure as hell don't care what Gary Anderson is doing right now!

• Fire 1

2018 Husker Schedule

09/01 Akron

09/08 Colorado

09/15 Troy

09/22 @ Michigan

09/29 Purdue

10/06 @ Wisconsin

10/13 @ Northwestern

10/20 Minnesota

11/03 @ Ohio State

11/10 Illinois

11/17 Michigan State

11/23 @ Iowa

You gotta improve this year, because 2018 is brutal.

Definitely. But it would also be year 2 of the defense and year 2 of the offensive system that they needed in place. @Michigan and @Ohio State is just unfair. Those might very well be 2 guaranteed losses.

But a weak '17 season and I'm done waiting for us to beat Wisconsin and Iowa, even if they're both road games in '18. I liked Colorado's coach back when he coached at San Jose St and he's done a good job getting them partially back but we've outrecruited them by a good deal and that should be a win. The rest should be no doubt wins by that point as well. 10-2 is what I see or I'd be severely disappointed.

However, a very good '17 season with strong recruiting and I'll be more sympathetic to '18. Just my opinion though.

I'm willing to give Riley time. He's brought in several solid assistants made a big move at the DC position and is recruiting at the level needed to climb back to the top 10 and compete for championships. Our roster was screwed when he took over. Unless he goes below 500 I'm holding on for the ride the next few years. Worst case scenario is we have a new coach with a top 15 roster in 2019

• Fire 1