CFN Big Ten Preview: Big Ten Football Golden Age

And I'll even give you that this article is a bit more negative than the norm, but there's a consensus forming this year that Nebraska is a 7-8 win team.

That's not encouraging.

It sure isn't. I hope we don't find out that Riley was in fact just an average coach. If Gary Anderson wins 9 games at OSU this year...well

Man. We are getting absolutely no love from anybody, anywhere these days. If that doesn't help light a fire under our team and motivate them, I don't know what ever will.

Which is starting to make me think that maybe we as fans are looking through rose colored glasses. So far in all the yearly preseason previews, not a single pick to get 2nd place in our division, let alone win it. Then you have the vegas over/under starting at 6.5 and holding around 7.5 now, which lines up with the 7-5/8-4 predictions.

If Nebraska goes 7-5 this year, they have to at least win the division next year for people to keep their jobs, right?

Yeah, it's all really making me wonder if I've got it all wrong.

IMO, only 7 wins this year would be time to pull the plug. I'm tired of next year...next year...next year. In the end, the more important thing to me is how they play and what the product on the field looks like. With our schedule, I see no reason that shouldn't translate to at least 9 wins this year. We're in the B1G West for godsakes. I'm done with injury and transition excuses. I know it's maybe not fair but this is the tell all season for me. Either these systems will work and these guys can coach or they won't and can't.

With the schedule Nebraska has this year, a well coached team should win at least 9 games. A really good coaching staff shouldn't take more than 3 years to build a championship contending program at a place like Nebraska.

I totally agree. I gave them the first two years for transition issues and new systems and tolerated some of the injury excuses of last season because of it. But this is the year they need to put up or shut up. Worrying about Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa...sorry, that's not in my arsenal. We've got no business being accepting of loses to those types of teams. Either were going to start playing big boy football again or we aren't. Rubber meet road.

• Fire 1

I remember when Glen Mason was going to do great things there after making Kansas a 10-2 team.

What does Glen Mason have to do with anything?

That was pertaining to the PJ Fleck discussion.

My point is, there have been other coaches who have gone to Minnesota after greatly improving a bad program and they weren't able to turn them into a consistent winner.

The writer isn't wrong.

Nebraska is one of the most inconsistent programs on a yearly basis. Look great one week lay an egg the next. It's happened literally every year since 2001

The writer has reason to doubt Nebraska. But the writer also lists Arkansas State as the OOC game for us to worry about instead of Oregon because he has already penciled that in as a Husker loss. He also names Ferentz a legendary coach which is bending that tag to it's absolute limit. He also says Harbaugh is on the hot seat after naming him among those great coaches.

The writer is as inconsistent as Nebraska if we are being fair.

Redux, would you say Bill Snyder is legendary? I'm not going to say Ferentz is legendary but to win at Iowa is like trying to win at KState.

He's done a really good job of building an identity and being successful with it has he not?

I'm with ya, more so than my post would have you believe

Part of why I don't post on or read HM anymore is because those guys are radical about positivity and kool-aid. They don't have any questions or concerns about the team and staff until a frustrating loss happens and then it shocks most of them because the possibility wasn't even on their radar. I appreciate this board because it's not like that here.

I am willing to move some goal posts for Riley this year with the understanding that '18 should be make or break, regardless of the schedule. But I'm also only willing to let certain things go. 7-8 wins? Well, okay as long as the recruiting class doesn't collapse. But if the OLine gets dominated and the offense struggles all season when there are no excuses for them in year 3? What, do we fire DL and Cav and start over so Riley can have another transition year? As others have mentioned, the conference is improving rapidly. This recruiting class is the one that puts us at a championship level. I hope it doesn't get messed up with a disappointing season.

I'm somewhere in between believing we only win 7 and thinking everything works out right and we win 9-10 in season. But I also agree that questions have been slowly arising since Vegas set such a low bar.

• Fire 1

The writer isn't wrong.

Nebraska is one of the most inconsistent programs on a yearly basis. Look great one week lay an egg the next. It's happened literally every year since 2001

The writer has reason to doubt Nebraska. But the writer also lists Arkansas State as the OOC game for us to worry about instead of Oregon because he has already penciled that in as a Husker loss. He also names Ferentz a legendary coach which is bending that tag to it's absolute limit. He also says Harbaugh is on the hot seat after naming him among those great coaches.

Redux, would you say Bill Snyder is legendary? I'm not going to say Ferentz is legendary but to win at Iowa is like trying to win at KState.

He's done a really good job of building an identity and being successful with it has he not?

Hayden Fry built Iowa's program and was very good in the late 70s and 80s. Bill Snyder was a Fry protege and took the same approach at Kansas State. Kansas State was the WORST program in college football history when Snyder took over in 1989.

Ferentz and Snyder are not the same, Fry and Snyder are the same.

• Fire 2

I remember when Glen Mason was going to do great things there after making Kansas a 10-2 team.

What does Glen Mason have to do with anything?

That was pertaining to the PJ Fleck discussion.

My point is, there have been other coaches who have gone to Minnesota after greatly improving a bad program and they weren't able to turn them into a consistent winner.

I think Mason actually reflects Riley more than Fleck.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/glen-mason-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/mike-riley-1.html

The writer isn't wrong.

Hayden Fry built Iowa's program and was very good in the late 70s and 80s. Bill Snyder was a Fry protege and took the same approach at Kansas State. Kansas State was the WORST program in college football history when Snyder took over in 1989.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Ferentz isn't Snyder. But... it's fair to argue that based on what they've worked with, and what they've done, he's not as bad as Nebraska fans like to make him out to be. I mean, as of today, he's arguably done more than Riley.

Now excuse me while I go wash out my mouth for being so positive about Ferentz.

• Fire 1

If MR wins only 7 this year, I have less hope for next year as it is even more brutal. I see 2019 as a potential break out year but not the next 2. However, MR has to survive this year and the meat grinder next year. He cannot bomb like he (team) did at the end of last year. If he does, make ready the red phone to call Scott Frost's office in Florida.

• Fire 2

The writer isn't wrong.

That's not what that means, at all. The "take it seriously" segment is for mid-major or G5 teams that you could lose to. Notice how all the games on that list are G5 teams.

Arkansas State probably had a better season last year than Oregon did, no? If this writer is trying to inform his audience, I would start there. Nebraska isn't going to take their opening week game lightly, suggesting that we will is just stupid.

The writer isn't wrong.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Ferentz isn't Snyder. But... it's fair to argue that based on what they've worked with, and what they've done, he's not as bad as Nebraska fans like to make him out to be. I mean, as of today, he's arguably done more than Riley.

Now excuse me while I go wash out my mouth for being so positive about Ferentz.

Oh yeah, I agree that Ferentz has done more in his career at Iowa than Riley has done in his coaching career at Oregon State and Nebraska. Ferentz has been able to stay at Iowa for so long because he has mixed in great years with some very average and poor years. He is also a Hayden Fry man, so Iowa is willing to give him even more leeway. It looks like Ferentz is setting up his son to be his successor whenever Kirk wants to walk away from the game.

• Fire 1

The writer isn't wrong.

I would be interested to see their side by side records and accomplishments, I would rank Snyder ahead of Ferentz right now cold.

2018 Husker Schedule

09/01 Akron

09/08 Colorado

09/15 Troy

09/22 @ Michigan

09/29 Purdue

10/06 @ Wisconsin

10/13 @ Northwestern

10/20 Minnesota

11/03 @ Ohio State

11/10 Illinois

11/17 Michigan State

11/23 @ Iowa

You gotta improve this year, because 2018 is brutal.

• Fire 1

The writer isn't wrong.

That's not what that means, at all. The "take it seriously" segment is for mid-major or G5 teams that you could lose to. Notice how all the games on that list are G5 teams.

Arkansas State probably had a better season last year than Oregon did, no? If this writer is trying to inform his audience, I would start there. Nebraska isn't going to take their opening week game lightly, suggesting that we will is just stupid.

We did in 2015 against BYU. And again, this is a thing they do for evey conference. Look at the P5 vs. G5 matchups, and see which ones the P5 team could reasonably stand to lose.