Funny article on Taylor Martinez

The training staff deserves way, way, way more blame than either Taylor or Pelini might deserve for Taylor playing when he shouldn't have. That's their entire job. I've heard some pretty messed up stories of the negligence of the trainers in regards to Taylor's senior season. No idea how accurate they are, but if they're even generally true, yikes.

• Fire 2

The guy writing the article is off on some nitty gritty factual details.

Taylor was injured in the Missouri game - I think right before half, not during the K-State game. He also saw his passing regress quite a bit his sophomore year, instead of improve like the author claims. That was due mostly to his turf toe adjusting his footwork which resulted in the worst examples of his mocked throwing motion (How To Throw the Perfect Pass), but he did improve in his awareness and decision-making (Rex Burkhead pass to the flat against OSU).

Anyways, healthy freshman Taylor Martinez was absolutely an elite playmaker, and junior Martinez was borderline elite as a quarterback (voted first team all conference by the coaches, which says a lot), but still mistake prone.

(imo)

While I agree with some of the points you made. Taylor's passing stats improved ever year freshman through junior. Some of this could be attributed to a slightly less mobile TM relying on the passing game more. But statistically speaking he became a better passer year after year.

About 5 games into his freshman season, TMagic was literally having a Heisman season. He was the fastest player on the team and one of the fastest huskers ever I'd say. After his injury, from whatever causes, he was just never the same again. His speed was always exceptional but it was not elite anymore. He would have been a great receiver simply because of speed. He was a typical Nebraska QB in terms of passing. Not very good in other words.

I am very hopeful that Lee will be the best passing QB we've had in the past 20 years plus. If so, we will be successful. If he plays up to his reported potential (we've only seen him play in the spring game folks so???), we will have a pretty good offense. We should be able to score and ought not be out of games, even if we get down early. I remain optimistic about this season. If we have a very good year, and then can survive the '18 schedule, 2019 offers a real chance to be in the playoffs. Of course, I am assuming that Gebbia and or Obrien follow Lee's lead.

While I agree with some of the points you made. Taylor's passing stats improved ever year freshman through junior.

His completion percentage dropped a bit and his passer rating went down from 138.8 to 126.5 from his freshman to sophomore seasons, for what it's worth. He threw about 100 more times so he threw for a bit more in yards and a few more touchdowns, but he was not great passing the ball that year imo.

Kid barely played as a QB prior to arriving at Nebraska. His speed sealed his future and kept him from playing a position he was more suited for. When your playing hurt every week, behind a sieve for a line and a moron head coach that kept putting him in even though he new he was hurt. Taylor being the warrior he was would never say no if he could have crawled out to play. A better head coach/better person would have put his players above his win loss total. Taylor paid the price for our sh#t hire. And he still is from the above comments. He did the best job he could every game. Hooray for anyone on the board that can say they do the best they can do every play, every day at work. I would believe when I saw it.

So do we still have a moron for a head coach? Because TA was probably more hurt last year than TM was.

I don't know about that. Martinez dealt with his injury for a couple years. I'm not sure any of us really knew how bad it was until he failed the Eagles physical.

Kid barely played as a QB prior to arriving at Nebraska. His speed sealed his future and kept him from playing a position he was more suited for. When your playing hurt every week, behind a sieve for a line and a moron head coach that kept putting him in even though he new he was hurt. Taylor being the warrior he was would never say no if he could have crawled out to play. A better head coach/better person would have put his players above his win loss total. Taylor paid the price for our sh#t hire. And he still is from the above comments. He did the best job he could every game. Hooray for anyone on the board that can say they do the best they can do every play, every day at work. I would believe when I saw it.

So do we still have a moron for a head coach? Because TA was probably more hurt last year than TM was.

I don't know about that. Martinez dealt with his injury for a couple years. I'm not sure any of us really knew how bad it was until he failed the Eagles physical.

I believe that was due to the injury during his senior year when he kicked the locker.

But Martinez was 100% for a lot fewer games than Armstrong was.

I know the young man, and he was a warrior for this program. So sad he had to endure what the best fans in the world threw at him. You can only do your best. I never felt that he ever gave anything less than all he had. Was he the best QB, no, the conference saying he was did more harm than good, as too many expected too much. Most that hated on the kid never competed at an elite level, most likely 3rd team youth ball. But they knew everything. He played thru turf toe and a high ankle sprain, two extremely painful injuries and very hard to heal. Especially when not given the time to do so.

All we as fans can ask for is a players best effort. Fight for your school. Taylor did it every single day as far as I am concerned.

• Fire 1

Martinez definitely had more nagging injuries.

But supposedly TA's hamstring was completely torn against Iowa. Couldn't even play a month later.

• Fire 1