Kieron Williams

It's not what's being said in the post you quoted/agreed with. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No it's not. He said he should get credit for making plays instead of being waved off as lucky. There was nothing about him being the best player in the history of ever.

Well, if we're playing the "That's not what was written" game, nobody said Williams should be taken off the field but you agreed with that.

Are we going to parse words that closely, or can we agree that a little bit of joking hyperbole is OK and just talk about football?

Been saying this for awhile. The guy just makes plays. Has since he was a freshman. Interceptions. Blocked punts. He can just find the ball.

Seems odd that he is now having trouble getting on the field.

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/884585790508081153

Apparently he doesn't find the ball as well as you'd like to believe.

Why tweaks in Nebraska Cornhuskers secondary springs quite a bit of optimism for one analyst. Read more at landof10.com:

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/one-analyst-quite-bit-optimism-spring-tweaks-nebraska-cornhuskers-secondary

Jackson graded out really poorly last year. Things can change and players can improve but he wasn't better than Aaron last year.

Edit. He does have a knack for creating turnovers though. Just kind of a give and take with run and pass coverage

No, he actually does. Otherwise he wouldn't be our leading tackler and interceptor.

I'm not saying he is a great tackler. But if he "missed" that many tackles and was still the fourth-leading tackler on the team - which doesn't even take number of snaps into account - then that pretty much leaves two explanations (probably a combination of the two). First, everyone was missing their fair share of tackles. And/or second, he was getting to the ball so much more than everyone else that even though he missed a bunch of tackles he still accumulated more than most everyone else.

I would think getting better at tackling would be about the easiest thing to improve on. Players aren't really going to get more instinctive or have better range. So I kind of think having a playmaker out there is probably the way to go.

Jones, who returns the highest Pro Football Focus grade from 2016 to the Nebraska secondary, was charted with five missed tackles a year ago by the popular scouting site. Kalu and safety Kieron Williams were charged with 15 and safety Aaron Williams with nine

Kieron Williams, S

2016 PFF grade: 49.4 overall, 68.6 in coverage, 43.6 against the run

Liskiewitz: “The tackles killed him. He (was) successful in coverage and just missed tackles and the run game were bad.”

It actually has always amazed me how so many interceptions are because the player just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

But...it's because good defenses have people in the right place at the right time. Yes, there are lots of balls that bounce away un-intercepted. But, good players know where they are supposed to be and when.

Williams was also the only starter not to earn a Blackshirt before the first game last year.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/80109-the-blackshirts-have-been-handed-out/

He didn't get his until after the second game of the year.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/80305-kieron-williams-earns-blackshirt/

and......why does that matter?

Because, while he's a skilled guy and has made some great plays for us, he has flaws in his game. Not giving him a Blackshirt wasn't one of us blowing hot air on a message board, it was the coaches saying he has to work on things.

Now this year, new coaches, new defense, we're hearing rumors of the same thing. The guy is good, but has work to do.

But if 2 different coaching staffs are getting similar impressions of the kid, maybe he isn't as good as people make him out to be. Obviously he has made plays, but I don't think he is a backup because of some vendetta. We probably just have players the coaches think are better

No it's not. He said he should get credit for making plays instead of being waved off as lucky. There was nothing about him being the best player in the history of ever.

Well, if we're playing the "That's not what was written" game, nobody said Williams should be taken off the field but you agreed with that.

Are we going to parse words that closely, or can we agree that a little bit of joking hyperbole is OK and just talk about football?

Well, you're the one who wanted to make a big deal of people supposedly arguing on the extremes which doesn't seem to be present. So you tell me.

Well, you're the one who wanted to make a big deal of people supposedly arguing on the extremes which doesn't seem to be present. So you tell me.

I was making a joke. Lighten up, Francis.

• Fire 1

But if 2 different coaching staffs are getting similar impressions of the kid, maybe he isn't as good as people make him out to be. Obviously he has made plays, but I don't think he is a backup because of some vendetta. We probably just have players the coaches think are better

Not good at what? Good natural baller, but not great at grasping defensive concepts?

I think it's the latter, and that makes you wonder if the coaches are making a mistake.

Not trying to be a jerk, but the "at times" qualifier pretty much lets you say anything. I'm sure it's true. But he was the fourth-leading tackler (leading returner) and led the team in INTs last year.

So I think it's safe to say he was making a fair amount more plays than he missed.

So what if he is? According to what you said if he makes 60 tackles and misses 59, that's a good thing?

I guess as long as only 58 of them are for TD's

Been saying this for awhile. The guy just makes plays. Has since he was a freshman. Interceptions. Blocked punts. He can just find the ball.

Seems odd that he is now having trouble getting on the field.

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/884585790508081153

Apparently he doesn't find the ball as well as you'd like to believe.

Why tweaks in Nebraska Cornhuskers secondary springs quite a bit of optimism for one analyst. Read more at landof10.com:

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/one-analyst-quite-bit-optimism-spring-tweaks-nebraska-cornhuskers-secondary

Jackson graded out really poorly last year. Things can change and players can improve but he wasn't better than Aaron last year.

Edit. He does have a knack for creating turnovers though. Just kind of a give and take with run and pass coverage

No, he actually does. Otherwise he wouldn't be our leading tackler and interceptor.

I'm not saying he is a great tackler. But if he "missed" that many tackles and was still the fourth-leading tackler on the team - which doesn't even take number of snaps into account - then that pretty much leaves two explanations (probably a combination of the two). First, everyone was missing their fair share of tackles. And/or second, he was getting to the ball so much more than everyone else that even though he missed a bunch of tackles he still accumulated more than most everyone else.

I would think getting better at tackling would be about the easiest thing to improve on. Players aren't really going to get more instinctive or have better range. So I kind of think having a playmaker out there is probably the way to go.

Jones, who returns the highest Pro Football Focus grade from 2016 to the Nebraska secondary, was charted with five missed tackles a year ago by the popular scouting site. Kalu and safety Kieron Williams were charged with 15 and safety Aaron Williams with nine

Kieron Williams, S

2016 PFF grade: 49.4 overall, 68.6 in coverage, 43.6 against the run

Liskiewitz: “The tackles killed him. He (was) successful in coverage and just missed tackles and the run game were bad.”

OK. I'm not sure how any of that is disproving what I said. He is - in fact - getting to the ball better than most people on the team. The tackles tell you that. The interceptions tell you that. If he is missing a bunch of tackles and still making the most, he is still "getting to the ball" just not finishing.

But those missed tackle numbers don't seem to mesh with that low of a rating. Jones apparently got a very favorable rating against the run. He missed about half a tackle per game. Williams missed about one tackle per game. Kalu had the same number of missed tackles but was rated 79.3 against the run while Williams was 43.6 against the run. Unless they are differentiating missed tackles on passing plays.

So KWilliams is - at worst a slightly better tackler than the guy we moved to safety to replace him so that we could start a below-average cover guy at corner. I guess I'm not really seeing it.

Not good at what? Good natural baller, but not great at grasping defensive concepts?

I think it's the latter, and that makes you wonder if the coaches are making a mistake.

never said he was not good. I'm sure he will see the field but I'm not going to say the coaches are making a mistake. They watch him alot more than we do as well as all of the other players on the team. If they think someone is better or our defense is better starting another player I'll trust their judgement.