SI's Andy Staples on Husker's National Perception

Just because he may use the qb more doesn't mean they are going to pass more than they run. It may be closer to 50 50 but it's annoying when people assume we are going to turn into an air raid offense because we have a capable QB.

How exactly would one go about using a non-running QB more without passing more?

We can pass more and still pass less than we run. We ran the ball 120 more times than we threw it last year. The gap can be closed without throwing more than running. Try reading my post more carefully next time.

Example: next season we run the ball 480 times and throw it 440 times. We use the qb more and still run more than we throw. Now was that really that difficult?

I don't think using 2016 numbers are in any way, shape or form indicative of what Langs would like to do.

Just because he may use the qb more doesn't mean they are going to pass more than they run. It may be closer to 50 50 but it's annoying when people assume we are going to turn into an air raid offense because we have a capable QB.

How exactly would one go about using a non-running QB more without passing more?

We can pass more and still pass less than we run. We ran the ball 120 more times than we threw it last year. The gap can be closed without throwing more than running. Try reading my post more carefully next time.

Example: next season we run the ball 480 times and throw it 440 times. We use the qb more and still run more than we throw. Now was that really that difficult?

I don't think using 2016 numbers are in any way, shape or form indicative of what Langs would like to do.

say what you will but I would put money on the Husker offense having more rush attempts than pass attempts in 2017. All I was saying is we can pass more without passing more than we run and you completely misinterpreted to we can use the qb more without passing more. Not what I said at all.

Riley doesnt use the pass to open up the run. He uses the pass to open up the PASS.

And the result is usually a well conditioned punt unit.

Nebraska ran the ball 523 times and passed the ball 400 times last season, and was fourth in 3rd Down Conversions among the Big 10, ahead of both Michigan and Penn State.

But whatever.

Benning and Schaefer were having quite the Twitter conversation about it this morning. It's not that far fetched.

I don't see why it's so hard to see people's skepticism about what kind of offense they're going to run. Supporters have been hanging their hats for two years on Langs getting a QB that can run his system. Then you try to act like he's not going to use that QB more? Doesn't make sense.

This would be like creating your own player in EA Sports College Football...only to sit him.

Riley doesnt use the pass to open up the run. He uses the pass to open up the PASS.

Nebraska ran the ball 523 times and passed the ball 400 times last season, and was fourth in 3rd Down Conversions among the Big 10, ahead of both Michigan and Penn State.

But whatever.

Benning and Schaefer were having quite the Twitter conversation about it this morning. It's not that far fetched.

I don't see why it's so hard to see people's skepticism about what kind of offense they're going to run. Supporters have been hanging their hats for two years on Langs getting a QB that can run his system. Then you try to act like he's not going to use that QB more? Doesn't make sense.

This would be like creating your own player in EA Sports College Football...only to sit him.

I created a 3rd string left guard to mirror my high school playing days.

• Fire 2

But whatever.

Because you don't have to pass MORE to have the offense work better when you have a QB that can pass BETTER.

It's actually a pretty simple concept.

But whatever.

I created a 3rd string left guard to mirror my high school playing days.

And on your EA Sports game you quickly elevated him to a starters spot!

say what you will but I would put money on the Husker offense having more rush attempts than pass attempts in 2017. All I was saying is we can pass more without passing more than we run and you completely misinterpreted to we can use the qb more without passing more. Not what I said at all.

Admittedly I did miss part of what you said. But you're also quibbling on 3 or 4 pass attempts per game. That could change based on being behind in a another game or throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack.

So technically, you're right. But that's kind of missing the forest for the trees. As I said, I don't think 2016 is really indicative of anything going forward. Just look at the difference between 2015 and 2017. As, as ColoradoHusk pointed out, 2015 was actually more passing attempts in the first three quarters - there were a lot of rushing attempts in the fourth quarter as we tried to bleed the clock, often unsuccessfully.

But I'd definitely take your bet on whether we'll have more rushing attempts or passing attempts this year.

But whatever.

Because you don't have to pass MORE to have the offense work better when you have a QB that can pass BETTER.

And that would be a great counter point if we were arguing about having a BETTER offense. But we aren't.

But whatever.

And that would be a great counter point if we were arguing about having a BETTER offense. But we aren't.

The discussion was about if he uses the pass to set up the run or the pass to set up the pass.

Someone pointed out last year we ran much more than we passed.

Then, someone tried claiming it's obvious that he's going to pass more because now he has a QB that is made for his offense.

That comment is meaningless. People are interested in seeing how a QB made for his offense can improve the offense NOT because now they will be passing it 50% more. It's because the passing plays they call will work better.

So.....yes....that is what the conversation was about.

But whatever.

The discussion was about if he uses the pass to set up the run or the pass to set up the pass.

Then, someone tried claiming it's obvious that he's going to pass more because now he has a QB that is made for his offense.

That comment is meaningless. People are interested in seeing how a QB made for his offense can improve the offense NOT because now they will be passing it 50% more. It's because the passing plays they call will work better.

No, it really wasn't. It's a lot more productive to talk about having a better offense. But that's not what we were talking about. You were the first one to talk about having a better offense.

If we are better at passing the ball than we have been, don't you think we'll do it more?

But whatever.

That was with a QB that Riley and Langsdorf didn't want to pass. It will be interesting to see how that ratio changes with Lee. I don't have a problem with passing, but the team better be able to run the ball, too.

Under Pelini/Beck, Tommy Armstrong threw 345 attempts over 13 games in 2014, averaging 26 passes per game.

Under Riley.Langdsdorf, Tommy Armstrong threw 294 attempts over 11 games in 2016, averaging 26 passes per game.

Over at Alabama, they averaged 27 pass attempts per game to go along with 42 rushing attempts last season. Nebraska averaged 40 rushing attempts.

Maybe we fret about this ratio a little too much. Fact remains we have to get a little better at everything we do on offense. And fewer people would be complaining about our offense if the defense had been up to standard the past six seasons.

Convenient that you skipped over 2015.

Well that would be the year when we still rushed more than we passed. Which was followed by a year when we rushed the ball even more. Not sure I get your point.

I just thought it was kinda interesting that some call Riley/Langs playcalling pass happy or "air raid" when it's only a marginally different ratio than Alabama, a team that rarely had to play from behind and is never accused of pass-happiness.

Will we pass more with a better passing quarterback? I sure hope so. I'm just envisioning Nebraska averaging around 30 attempts per game -- on par with the four teams that made the playoffs -- and completing 63% as opposed to 51%.

I'm envisioning a more efficient quarterback that actually generates more total plays. So the team that passes 32 times is still rushing the ball 47 times.

And yes, absolutely, that more efficient passing game creates a more efficient running game. And why wouldn't the ratio swing back and forth, depending on what the opposing defense brings every game?

• Fire 1

Well that would be the year when we still rushed more than we passed. Which was followed by a year when we rushed the ball even more. Not sure I get your point.

I just thought it was kinda interesting that some call Riley/Langs playcalling pass happy or "air raid" when it's only a marginally different ratio than Alabama, a team that rarely had to play from behind and is never accused of pass-happiness.

Will we pass more with a better passing quarterback? I sure hope so. I'm just envisioning Nebraska averaging around 30 attempts per game -- on par with the four teams that made the playoffs -- and completing 63% as opposed to 51%.

I'm envisioning a more efficient quarterback that actually generates more total plays. So the team that passes 32 times is still rushing the ball 47 times.

And yes, absolutely, that more efficient passing game creates a more efficient running game. And why wouldn't the ratio swing back and forth, depending on what the opposing defense brings every game?

This is my point about you skipping 2015. We averaged 35 passes per game despite only completing 55% and nearly leading the country in interceptions. Why would you be envisioning us passing less than that this year?

• Fire 1

This is my point about you skipping 2015. We averaged 35 passes per game despite only completing 55% and nearly leading the country in interceptions. Why would you be envisioning us passing less than that this year?

Because our more accurate quarterback can get the same number of completions in fewer attempts.

As inconsistent as Armstrong was, he was occasionally stellar and passing to perhaps the strongest receiving corps in Nebraska history. 2015 sucked, but not because we didn't feature more carries from Newby and Ozibgo. Because 2016 is the more recent season, it made the more pertinent comparison.

If we do go back to averaging 35 attempts a game, I hope it's because the passing game is working. As with other successful college teams, this doesn't mean abandoning the running game or declaring yourself an air raid offense.

It's not only possible but probable that the passing game and running game get better at the same time.

If that doesn't happen, I will officially declare the Riley honeymoon over.

• Fire 2

But whatever.

No, it really wasn't. It's a lot more productive to talk about having a better offense. But that's not what we were talking about. You were the first one to talk about having a better offense.

If we are better at passing the ball than we have been, don't you think we'll do it more?

You're doing some great gymnastics trying to twist that around. And in doing so, your comments came back to mine.

To answer your question, no....not necessarily. There are lots of offenses yfat pass better than us but don't necessarily call more pass plays.

Will we????maybe. But it's not a forgone conclusion.

• Fire 1