SI's Andy Staples on Husker's National Perception

Regardless of people being factually correct or incorrect, you have an incredible ability to take threads down a several page rabbit hole of the most trivial minutiae imaginable that nobody except you and one or two other people care about.

Anyways, how about our national perception, eh guys?

• Fire 4

Regardless of people being factually correct or incorrect, you have an incredible ability to take threads down a several page rabbit hole of the most trivial minutiae imaginable that nobody except you and one or two other people care about.

Anyways, how about our national perception, eh guys?

Copy this...we can use it for most posters.

Uh, sorry to butt in, I'm sure this is how a lot of my conversations look too.

But Mav, why don't/didn't you just skip over the playing better part of BRB's response and just reply to the part you thought the convo was about, which was his hypothesis that having a better QB reduces the number of passing attempts?

An observation in the form of a question: when was the last time you, me, or really anyone skipped over something they felt was a misrepresentation of a conversation and/or their opinion? We all love picking apart nuances of posts - it's how this board survives! :B)

That's why I started with an apology. I thought the whole conversation was weird, but I know I do the same thing.

Back to the topic. We win and we will start to change perception. I think (optimistically cautious) that the staff is selling something we as fans aren't privy to. Some secret sauce that is possibly putting the best recruit class NU has had together. NU doesn't draw that level of talent without some vision thats being presented, explained and bought into.

Quit getting beat like a drum once/twice a year and we will see the perception change. I think the football world is better when NU is a contender. But that's just my opinion!

I know people hate this stuff but as a guy that has coached for like 20 years I can tell you this much...

1. When we had awesome running backs...we ran the ball a lot more because we could.

2. When we had awesome QB's we passed the ball more because we could.

Coaches love playing with their new toys.

Now, that is not every single staff...just the 4-5 I have been a part of.

The difference is that in high school you can't ***wink, wink*** recruit players to "your" system so you have to adjust

In college you "recruit" (or as it is pronounced in the SEC "buy") players to your system.

I believe that the talent gap is closed with the spread offense in every group except the line. We are getting near elite talent at all the spots except o-line and as long as the o-line can handle their task we will hold our own.

I'm using 247's rankings from the recruits page here at huskerboard and I'm using http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/nebraska/91303 for the two deep:

Starting:

LT Nick Gates - :star:star:star:star

LG Jerald Foster - :star:star:star

C Michael Decker - :star:star:star

RG Tanner Farmer - :star:star:star:star

RT David Knevel - :star:star:star:star

Second String

LT Matt Farniok - :star:star:star:star

LG John Raridon - :star:star:star:star

C Cole Conrad - Walk-On (probably 2-3 stars)

RG Boe Wilson - :star:star:star

RT Christian Gaylord - :star:star:star:star

Yeah boy we sure look to be lagging behind. Only 6 out of 10 of our two string O-Line recruits are 4 star. We really suck.

Yup. Now go look at Wisconsin and Iowa's O-line recruits...

Either recruiting rankings are complete B.S. or we're developing guys wrong.

Or perception is wrong on fans part here. OL will take a major step forward this year.

Regardless, we ARE getting elite talent at the position..six 4 stars in a 10 person rotation is fantastic...we don't even have that level at receiver yet. Results on the field haven't been with the recruits from the new coaches and thus, we cannot claim development, culture, or attitude issues exist...we haven't even seen some of them play yet. So we might try waiting and seeing how they are this year before we say there is some kind of systemic infection or that Cav can't coach.

Oh so it is the old these aren't their players argument... BS! It is developement and scheme. Haven't you been watching these games, our line has either sucked or has struggled against most any good team we have played. If that does not change neither will the national perception of nebr. football period

I believe that the talent gap is closed with the spread offense in every group except the line. We are getting near elite talent at all the spots except o-line and as long as the o-line can handle their task we will hold our own.

I'm using 247's rankings from the recruits page here at huskerboard and I'm using http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/nebraska/91303 for the two deep:

Starting:

Second String

Yeah boy we sure look to be lagging behind. Only 6 out of 10 of our two string O-Line recruits are 4 star. We really suck.

Or perception is wrong on fans part here. OL will take a major step forward this year.

Regardless, we ARE getting elite talent at the position..six 4 stars in a 10 person rotation is fantastic...we don't even have that level at receiver yet. Results on the field haven't been with the recruits from the new coaches and thus, we cannot claim development, culture, or attitude issues exist...we haven't even seen some of them play yet. So we might try waiting and seeing how they are this year before we say there is some kind of systemic infection or that Cav can't coach.

Oh so it is the old these aren't their players argument... BS! It is developement and scheme. Haven't you been watching these games, our line has either sucked or has struggled against most any good team we have played. If that does not change neither will the national perception of nebr. football period

Last year, it was depth, and we didn't have the guys to rotate. Well, as Blitz has shown, we have depth, AND talent. So if we don't rotate guys if we're not getting it done, or struggle to run the ball against the worst rushing defense in college football again (like we did against Purdue), then maybe it's time we stop blaming the players.

• Fire 1

Starting:

Second String

Last year, it was depth, and we didn't have the guys to rotate. Well, as Blitz has shown, we have depth, AND talent. So if we don't rotate guys if we're not getting it done, or struggle to run the ball against the worst rushing defense in college football again (like we did against Purdue), then maybe it's time we stop blaming the players.

More depth: Check

Toxins detoxed: Check

Home game: Check

Stud NFL QB: Check

Excuses gone: Hmmmm

• Fire 1

Starting:

Second String

Starting:

Second String

More depth: Check

Toxins detoxed: Check

Home game: Check

Stud NFL QB: Check

believe me they are not over they go on and on and.................................

Starting:

Second String

BS?

You do know we'll be entering HCMR's 3rd year and his 1st recruits on the OL will be coming off redshirt seasons (his first full recruiting class was his 2nd year...first year he just held together Pelini's)?

I've been watching the games...I saw all the injuries on the line last year and know that our OL suffered majorly from that. It's why I think the line takes a big step forward this year...elite talent coming down the pipes. Something we haven't had in a while. But if you want to continue to despair,please, by all means.

I didn't even like the last regime, but the O-line looked better than this sh*t show

believe me they are not over they go on and on and.................................

This is the excuse that doesn't end! Yes it goes on and on my friend!