Six Walk-Ons Earn Scholarships

Mavric

C Cole Conrad, FB Luke McNitt, TE Connor Ketter, TE Tyler Hoppes, WR Gabe Rahn and WR Brett Classen have been placed on scholarship.

I thought Reimers was in line to get one.  We should have one or two spots left.  Perhaps he was already on scholarship this spring so he wasn't in this list.

• Plus1 3

Conrad would be expected to remain on scholarship next year so that wold be one less.

We still have two open slots and Reimers didn't get one so I'm guessing they're still trying to decide if they should give him one with the chance that they might not renew it next year.

All the others are seniors so it wouldn't affect anything going forward.

Serious question and nothing disparaging about the kids getting scholarships.

Do teams like Ohio State, Clemson, Florida State or Alabama do this?  I have not heard it mentioned.  I seldom hear the terminology walk on with those teams.  I would think they have them.

1 minute ago, skersfan said:

Do teams like Ohio State, Clemson, Florida State or Alabama do this?  I have not heard it mentioned.  I seldom hear the terminology walk on with those teams.  I would think they have them.

I doubt those schools have a bunch of scholarships available to hand out

13 hours ago, skersfan said:

The Big 10 allows us to over sign by three, which we chose not to do. Some have made the case that we should not have passed on CB Michael Onyemaobi last year given how thin we are now at CB and maybe filled the other two spots. On the other hand, we have gone from a small class size in 2018 to the ability to take 18-21 in this class. The new additions on the staff, plus a little momentum and we may have Riley's first highly rated class. Time shall tell. 

Every school has kids leave by choice and not by choice that was my point - Alabama included.  NU has had a walk on program that has been part of our history for several decades - Alabama uses a shady program called greyshirts.  As discussed, in other threads, our walk on program isn't what it had been in the past.  One way to keep it going is to not got over our allotted number each year which allows for players that have risen up to get rewarded.  As our recruiting classes improve this number will shrink.  In the meantime I would prefer that we reward what makes the Midwest what it is - hard work being rewarded.  I have been away from Lincoln for 30 years and always enjoy how often I hear employers and clients mention how good the work ethic is from Nebraska grads.  But your right let's be more like Alabama and the rest of the SEC.

2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Every school has kids leave by choice and not by choice that was my point - Alabama included.  NU has had a walk on program that has been part of our history for several decades - Alabama uses a shady program called greyshirts.  As discussed, in other threads, our walk on program isn't what it had been in the past.  One way to keep it going is to not got over our allotted number each year which allows for players that have risen up to get rewarded.  As our recruiting classes improve this number will shrink.  In the meantime I would prefer that we reward what makes the Midwest what it is - hard work being rewarded.  I have been away from Lincoln for 30 years and always enjoy how often I hear employers and clients mention how good the work ethic is from Nebraska grads.  But your right let's be more like Alabama and the rest of the SEC.

Where did i say we should be more like Alabama or the sec? I was just trying to comment on the original post excuse me for that