For those coming to Oregon...

On 9/4/2017 at 10:07 PM, girlknowsfootball said:

My Oregon friend sent me this today to warn my husker friends of what they will be getting into. It's suppose to get worse later this week... 

IMG_3495.PNG

That doesn't look good...looks like LA or Chinese-level smog, and no one should be playing sports in that crap.

And unless the wind keeps blowing from the west for multiple days, you're not going to clear that smoke out of there to any sort of 'healthy' level. The kids and their well being are decidedly more important that playing a football game, even if it is Oregon. 

15 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

That was probably fog.

LOL......... NO that's smoke!! I've lived in Oregon most of my life (born in Burwell, NE) and I've never seen anything this bad. Last night they ordered evacuation for an area about 45 miles east of Eugene. It's clearer this morning, but still plenty of smoke. As long as the wind comes from the south or west for a few days (and NOT the east or north) game time will be beautiful. Stadium full of Green and Yellow ready to rock out.

Should be a fun game. Riley back at Autzen, corn huskers in town should be fun..

If you are coming to Autzen Saturday. Before the game you might want to take in the Saturday Market downtown, good food carts, local artists, etc. Also, check out the athletic facilites, some may be open for tours Saturday. Getting to Autzen, check out the Park N Ride run by Lane Transit...absolutely one of the best ways to get to Autzen and avoid the traffic. From the campus area, perhaps a walk to the stadium via the foot bridge over the Willamette River.

Plenty of great Micro Brew, Oregon Pinot Noir, and excellent coffee in the area.

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

If you are coming to Autzen Saturday. Before the game you might want to take in the Saturday Market downtown, good food carts, local artists, etc. Also, check out the athletic facilites, some may be open for tours Saturday. Getting to Autzen, check out the Park N Ride run by Lane Transit...absolutely one of the best ways to get to Autzen and avoid the traffic. From the campus area, perhaps a walk to the stadium via the foot bridge over the Willamette River.

Plenty of great Micro Brew, Oregon Pinot Noir, and excellent coffee in the area.

Are they guided tours to the facilities? Trying to find the right website.

Anything else in the area worth checking out?

For Husker fans are there any Husker Tailgates on Saturday being planned?

56 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

Just checked the weather, 40% possibility of rain tonight. If we get rain the air will clear up quickly. Assuming we don't get more winds from the east before game time. Still smoky this morning. Not as bad as yesterday. ( live about 2 miles from Autzen)

Thanks for the update!  Let us know if you get that rain, if you think of it.

25 minutes ago, HuskerFreakz said:

Are they guided tours to the facilities? Trying to find the right website.

Anything else in the area worth checking out?

For Husker fans are there any Husker Tailgates on Saturday being planned?

I'd check with the U of O athletic dept to see about tours and open facilities. The facilities around Autzen are wonderful. PK Park is the baseball stadium at the East end of Autzen, it serves as an open air beer garden for football games. Yes, PK stands for Phil Knight...:) At the West end you have the Moshofski Center (indoor practice facility) and it serves as an indoor beer garden/sports bar for home games.

Of course The Matt (basketball facility and the Jaqua student athlete academic center are worth a look, as well as perhaps the most "storied" athletic facility on campus, and the natural home for the US Olympic Trials.......... Yes Hayward Field.

Normally I'd recommend a raft trip on the McKenzie for rafting and flyfishing, but the fires in that area right now would just ruin the trip. Of course for those "flat landers" as we call people from the midwest, a trip to the coast might be in order. It's about a one hour drive one way.

For a wine tasting or tour of local wineries I'd check in with Carly at Broadway Wine Merchants. She might have some ideas or recommendations.

As I think of more I'll add more posts.

Here's a link to some of the athletic facilites:  http://www.goducks.com/sports/2003/8/5/22197.aspx

41 minutes ago, IA State Husker said:

Thanks for the update!  Let us know if you get that rain, if you think of it.

I'll update when I have something. This smoke has been absolutely the worst. When you go outside it smells like you walked into a giant barbecue. Even the inside of the house, clothes etc are starting to smell like smoke. I've changed air filters twice on the HVAC system.  Went to Home Depot and virtually everyone was coming out carrying air filters for their homes. I guess global warming doesn't exist............ :(

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

I'll update when I have something. This smoke has been absolutely the worst. When you go outside it smells like you walked into a giant barbecue. Even the inside of the house, clothes etc are starting to smell like smoke. I've changed air filters twice on the HVAC system.  Went to Home Depot and virtually everyone was coming out carrying air filters for their homes. I guess global warming doesn't exist............ :(

Forget about football.  I hope things get better for you guys.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Some pictures of the fires by Stevenson, WA. 

e05d8u4.jpg

avdBQoH.jpg

This pic reminds me of the fire near my house in the mountains two years ago. This is a very real and very chilling picture. I had embers landing on my roof, I was running my sprinkler system constantly just to keep plants around the house wet and prevent and fires from starting. Don't ask about the water bill it was four figures. But worth it.

I just checked the air quality index.  Here in my hometown (an hour south of Eugene), we're currently at a moderate level for the first time in almost two weeks.  I don't think it'll last as the smoke seems to be moving back in.  I also checked Eugene and it's at an unhealthy level.  

GoDucks:  Did they evaculate Oakridge or the McKenzie Bridge area?