Husker Chalk Talk - Let's Talk "That" Defense.

Cdog923

25 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

You need an extremely accurate QB who can throw it quickly and receivers who block like TEs.   Many teams don't have that.  This QB may be one of the best in the country in terms of accuracy by year end.  

No doubt he was accurate.  I think like 74%.  I don't think he needs to be extremely accurate.  No pressure and no coverage makes for a pretty successful passer.  If we are now thinking that ASU had some of the more physical receivers we have seen, better prepare for the worst season in Husker history......Their D was very salty.  Their OL (I know not receivers) had 2 starts between them and we got ZERO pressure.  I do not think we caused any OC in the country to even remotely be concerned with NU's defense.  

Im really hoping we start to look at other OLB to play the "dog and cat". Too many times we looked like "cat and mouse".  What we saw might work against "more traditional" B1G teams, but we need nickel and dime against the spread style offenses.  Wisky and PSU's TE will eat that craptastic 3-4 we showed Sat alive.  So will Oregon......

I think ASU deserves a modicum of credit though (not that anyone think they're chumps). They seem to have a pretty talented offense. At least a couple of their skill position players are transfers from SEC or power five programs. And, that style of offense seems like it could give trouble to a lot of teams, even one more talented than Nebraska.

I'd like to see where they end up by season's end. A lot can happen between now and then, but if they end up with a really good record in their conference, that could provide some better context for this game.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think ASU deserves a modicum of credit though (not that anyone think they're chumps). They seem to have a pretty talented offense. At least a couple of their skill position players are transfers from SEC or power five programs. And, that style of offense seems like it could give trouble to a lot of teams, even one more talented than Nebraska.

I'd like to see where they end up by season's end. A lot can happen between now and then, but if they end up with a really good record in their conference, that could provide some better context for this game.

They definetly were not a pushover team as some possible felt.  As you mentioned they had several guys from the SEC.....Much like McNeese St......a team that probably would've won if not for AA. I think our success against their DL was a good benchmark for our OL.  They have a beast at DT and DE.  They are traditionally a solid Sun Belt team.  I was hoping our defense would have passed the "eye ball" test better.  

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, lo country said:

They definetly were not a pushover team as some possible felt.  As you mentioned they had several guys from the SEC.....Much like McNeese St......a team that probably would've won if not for AA. I think our success against their DL was a good benchmark for our OL.  They have a beast at DT and DE.  They are traditionally a solid Sun Belt team.  I was hoping our defense would have passed the "eye ball" test better.  

Their QB started out at Oklahoma, too. 

• Plus1 2

The question I have been pondering is how much a healthy Chris Jones would've helped? I would think a physical, sure tackler like him would've blown up some bubble screens in a hurry and forced more 4th downs. Possibly a more pedestrian offensive showing for ASU? Not trying to say it would've been a cure-all but would've Diaco been more comfortable letting someone like him press cover and make an offense like that more difficult to execute? Hopefully we get a sampling at some point this year with Jones.

28 minutes ago, LilRedIsABadOmen said:

The question I have been pondering is how much a healthy Chris Jones would've helped? I would think a physical, sure tackler like him would've blown up some bubble screens in a hurry and forced more 4th downs. Possibly a more pedestrian offensive showing for ASU? Not trying to say it would've been a cure-all but would've Diaco been more comfortable letting someone like him press cover and make an offense like that more difficult to execute? Hopefully we get a sampling at some point this year with Jones.

Great point.  

2 hours ago, lo country said:

No pushover and certainly some talent, but I gotta think Nebraska will be facing even better teams than Arkansas State this year.

I will say that Mike Riley tends to play both up and down to his opponents. 

4 hours ago, lo country said:

This is what is so concerning.  Not to mention clock management.  Or getting away from running the ball.  

In regards to passing, that's what teams did in 2015.  It skewed our run defensive stats as few teams ran their "normal" amount of runs per game and elected to air it out.

yup, agree with the assessment, going to be a long season of frustration........we aren't going to be happy by year's end.