Husker Chalk Talk - Let's Talk "That" Defense.

Cdog923

16 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Berry and Ferguson will be starting by the end of the year if it keeps up. 

I thought they already should be starting. Wouldn't even mind seeing G Thomas on 3rd downs to get some pressure. A Davis wasn't going to that's for sure. Eric Lee also got bullied a lot. I will say though that when we face the spread we are asking A LOT of our OLB's since the corners and safeties are so far off the ball 

Way different than the way Aranda ran his 3-4 D at Wisconsin. They always had 1-2 people standing and making stunts to confuse the O-line even against spread teams. 

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Berry and Ferguson will be starting by the end of the year if it keeps up. 

Ferguson made a nice play on his INT, but he didn't provide any coverage to the slot receiver on that play.  Now, it may not have been responsibility, but the slot WR was wide open behind Ferguson and in front of Kalu.  I am not sure why Kalu was playing so deep in the end zone to begin the play, when the snap of the ball was at the 8 yard line.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I thought they already should be starting. Wouldn't even mind seeing G Thomas on 3rd downs to get some pressure. A Davis wasn't going to that's for sure. Eric Lee also got bullied a lot

I will say though that when we face the spread we are asking A LOT of our OLB's since the corners and safeties are so far off the ball 

As stated in the artical , Lee was going up against their TE and was giving yp quite a bit a weight and height along with the 10 yd cushion.  After reading that, i can see why he was bullied.  We needed more pressure out there and could possibly catch that TE off balance and break up the play.  We gave him time to set himself up for the block and gain the advantage.  He played decent otherwise.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ferguson made a nice play on his INT, but he didn't provide any coverage to the slot receiver on that play.  Now, it may not have been responsibility, but the slot WR was wide open behind Ferguson and in front of Kalu.  I am not sure why Kalu was playing so deep in the end zone to begin the play, when the snap of the ball was at the 8 yard line.

It seems he was slow on his read of the play action, although from Kalu's shift over the WR by the time the ball was snapped, it looked like umbrella coverage where Ferguson was responsible for the inside slant/hook-to-curl, and Kalu had over the top responsibility. 

Can't wait to re-watch the game and see more of what happened but this is my early impression for what a lot of our problem was.  We had guys effectively doing nothing.

asu-iso-play.gif?w=640

That’s a lot of what Arkansas State did to Nebraska all night long, and the play above is a perfect example.  Newby cements himself in the middle of two choices (defend the run or defend the pass) and doing so means he adequately defends neither.  Had the Red Wolves handed the ball off, the RB is free up the middle through the A gap.  Instead, they choose to throw it.  The #2 WR gets a free release but thankfully drops the ball just past the first down line.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Speed kills.  TO knew it.  Bobby Bowden knew it and so did Charlie McBride.  McBride said if they couldn't run, we didn't recruit em.  True then and true now.  Especially with the spread option RPO progressions......

That's definitely part of it. If you're Deon Sanders, you can purposely give the receiver a cushion because you know you can close the gap in a split second.

One thing about Oregon: they're always crazy fast.

But regardless of the new scheme, we are now four defensive coordinators and two head coaches  into a Nebraska defense that doesn't make in-game adjustments very well.

I don't know why any team would run the ball against Nebraska. Cue up the Arkansas State game film and do that until they stop you.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's definitely part of it. If you're Deon Sanders, you can purposely give the receiver a cushion because you know you can close the gap in a split second.

But regardless of the new scheme, we are now four defensive coordinators and two head coaches  into a Nebraska defense that doesn't make in-game adjustments very well.

I don't know why any team would run the ball against Nebraska. Cue up the Arkansas State game film and do that until they stop you.

You need an extremely accurate QB who can throw it quickly and receivers who block like TEs.   Many teams don't have that.  This QB may be one of the best in the country in terms of accuracy by year end.  

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is what is so concerning.  Not to mention clock management.  Or getting away from running the ball.  

In regards to passing, that's what teams did in 2015.  It skewed our run defensive stats as few teams ran their "normal" amount of runs per game and elected to air it out.