What did we learn-Game 2 Oregon

JJ Husker

Mavric

It's been a long time since my college DB days, but it looks to me like we are in a zone coverage.

The first one looks like cover 2 (two safeties split the field).  The second one looks like cover 3 (thirds), but all shifted to the bottom because of the trips(bunch set). 

Both ASU and Oregon are exploiting the openings in between the zones.  I saw two plays yesterday where Oregon's QB onloaded the ball down the sideline as receivers transitioned from the flat to deep in Cover 2.  It was so high school.

Staying in the zone during for these bubble or smoke screens means the receiver literally has to beat no one if it is blocked well.  It blows my mind.  Our scheme overall baffles me.  Our lack of pressure makes our coverage scheme even more difficult to execute.  I think we'd be far better off bringing heat, manning up with a safety over the top (Cover 1).  I don't think our DB's are that bad.  I think it is the scheme.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, shyndy said:

I don't think I have ever seen a corner lined up like our guy at the top.  Looks like when you play A video game and it bugs out on you or something

My guess is this is Cover 3 Zone (Deep Thirds).   The two OLB's have flat.  The sideline is your teammate and that's why he is lined up like that.  All the corner is really worried about is someone running by him to the inside.  To me this isn't that unusual.

IMO this coverage is a liability with these offenses that spread the field.

I mentioned last week that Arky State threw for 400 yards in the game without ever really testing our corners.  This week Oregon had 400 yards in a half partly because they actually took some shots downfield.

Jackson has absolutely no help.  I don't know what the call was but they weren't exactly in a spread set but both of the safeties are looking inside with both corners on islands.  It was definitely a heck of a catch but Jackson was beat and it cost us 50 yards. 

You can't play man all over the field this much.  Especially without top flight corners.

VwsPusN.png

• Plus1 1

I bring up this play just because it was "controversial".  First pic - Obviously Lindsey is a true freshman.  But he's got to be ready to catch the ball.  Would have kept the drive going which could have made a big difference in how the rest of the first half went.  Second, I couldn't get a great pic of the spot but the discussion was missing a big point.  There was talk about "forward progress" but that doesn't apply in this situation.  That only applies when the defense forces the ball-carrier backwards.  In this case, Lindsey was moving backwards by himself.  So he doesn't get any forward progress - the ball is simply down when his knee hits.  It's tough to tell for sure but since he was moving backwards I don't think there was anything to show it should have been marked as a first down.

psEAS9g.png

hT828q1.png

Sorry this is blurry.  But this is another thing that is similar to Banker that drives me nuts.  We did it some last week and here it is again.  Our LBs are in no-man's-land.  They are not in position to do anything productive.  This is their TD right before the half.  All four LBs just drop a couple yards from where they lined up.  But all the receivers went sprinting by them and they just watched them go.  Easy pickings from a couple of guys who were open.

MsCAMFv.png

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

My guess is this is Cover 3 Zone (Deep Thirds).   The two OLB's have flat.  The sideline is your teammate and that's why he is lined up like that.  All the corner is really worried about is someone running by him to the inside.  To me this isn't that unusual.

IMO this coverage is a liability with these offenses that spread the field.

He is completely 90 degrees away from the line of scrimmage though.  head is in a line with the yard line he is on.  I find that strange