'Mansplaining'

15 minutes ago, zoogs said:

The sad thing really is he's not trolling. 

It's hard to imagine that someone who says "mansplaining" (i.e. men assuming a woman is ignorant because she's a woman and then explaining something condescendingly) doesn't exist isn't trolling. It's like arguing water isn't wet.

Thinking the word shouldn't exist is a different matter, and the one the non trolls were discussing.

Is it that hard to imagine? It's not for me. We see it everywhere, including this thread. The issue for them isn't that we've invented a word to describe the phenomenon, it's that the phenomenon either does not exist or is not relevant -- "because womansplaining" and oh my god, he actually said "because blacksplaining".

3 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Is it that hard to imagine? It's not for me. We see it everywhere, including this thread. The issue for them isn't that we've invented a word to describe the phenomenon, it's that the phenomenon either does not exist or is not relevant -- "because womansplaining" and oh my god, he actually said "because blacksplaining".

Holy hell, we're calling it a phenomenon now?

Just now, Moiraine said:

tfree first referred to it as a phenomenon, but I don't understand your reaction here. A phenomenon is just something that happens, sometimes something that can't be explained.

I don't know. Feel like it's too much word to describe mansplaining. Too grand of a word.... Also, has it not been explained numerous times in this thread?

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't know. Feel like it's too much word to describe mansplaining. Too grand of a word.... Also, has it not been explained numerous times in this thread?

*shrug* zoogs didn't use it first.

And that's exactly why I called tfree a troll. I mean, he even said "womansplaining is also a thing."

I said "womansplaining" is a thing in the first post.

23 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

Given that we seem to be agreed that womansplaining is also a thing, it's weird we don't hear more about it. It's almost like men just deal with it, roll their eyes, and get on living their lives. 

Yea... men are far more reasonable than those crazy, emotional women. It's almost like men never use words that are exclusively used to disparage women or people acting like women.

Or... It's almost like "mansplaining" and "womansplaining" don't happen in the same proportion.

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yea... men are far more reasonable than those crazy, emotional women. It's almost like men never use words that are exclusively used to disparage women or people acting like women.

Yet that's exactly what "mansplaining" is...a word used to exclusively disparage men or people acting like women insist men act.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

"Things that are felt and encountered", if that makes it better, even if they do not apply specifically to us, does not mean their existence should be minimized. It's quite vexing that it is. What do we even get out of diminishing it?

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

"Things that are felt and encountered", if that makes it better, even if they do not apply specifically to us, does not mean their existence should be minimized. It's quite vexing that it is. What do we even get out of diminishing it?

Personally, I get nothing. Although, it does get old that most of society's problems are blamed on the white person, or the male (I'm both). There's no accountability from those that find themselves in poor situations. But the "accountability" discussion is for a different thread, because it certain doesn't apply here with this topic.