'Mansplaining'

1 minute ago, El Diaco said:

I could cut to the chase and settle this whole deal for you all but I'm not sure I could dumb down the explanation enough for you to understand due to your particular genders.

I have doubts to whether you're really capable of that, seeing as you're a man.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

That still isn't what "mansplaining" is.

"Mansplaining" is not "when a guy tries to be helpful and the gal takes offense."

For one thing, it happens enough that I think most women just let it slide off of them. There isn't enough time to take offense every time.

For another, the purpose isn't that "a guy tries to be helpful." It's a guy lecturing a female on something he assumes she doesn't understand because she's female.

Lastly, the guy is acting like an ass if he assumes a woman doesn't understand something because she's a woman, but that doesn't mean he's an ass in general.

But your post and my response are a good example of why people shouldn't throw the word around. It can be used for what you're describing. It can also be used to try to shut a guy up or win an argument without arguing.

And before anyone chimes in, ya, I'm kinda lecturing above, but I'm not doing it because tfree32 is male. I'm doing it because of the words he typed that I'm responding to. In fact I don't know that he's male but it's probably a good assumption.

Mine too. I preferred that part. I'd prefer if this topic was split in 2.

Or maybe the woman really doesn't have a clue...and doesn't have a clue that she doesn't have a clue. And that fact she's clueless has nothing to do with her being a woman. She assumes she knows more than she does, takes offense at someone trying to help, assumes she's being talked down to, and further assumes it's because she's a woman. 

Some look for reasons to take offense and claim victim status. Others laugh it off and get on with living their lives.

1 minute ago, tfree32 said:

Or maybe the woman really doesn't have a clue...and doesn't have a clue that she doesn't have a clue. And that fact she's clueless has nothing to do with her being a woman. She assumes she knows more than she does, takes offense at someone trying to help, assumes she's being talked down to, and further assumes it's because she's a woman. 

Some look for reasons to take offense and claim victim status. Others laugh it off and get on with living their lives.

Yep.

That's not what "mansplaining" refers to, but it's probably been used for the above scenario.

10 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

That's absolutely what some women would call mansplaining.

Yep... that's what I just said...

I've said probably more than 10 times in this topic that it's often misused and that's one of the major problems with it.

In your scenario, the woman thinks she has a clue but after talking to her about it, the man realizes she doesn't and explains it. That isn't "mansplaining." He's not explaining because he thinks she's ignorant due to her being female. He's explaining because she's made him aware that she doesn't understand - by talking to her, or at the very least he disagrees with her understanding of it - because he talked to her.

People misuse words incorrectly all the time. This particular word has the potential to be used incorrectly a lot. But that doesn't make any of the scenarios you've presented examples of what the word means. None of them have been what the word refers to.

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Yep... that's what I just said...

I've said probably more than 10 times in this topic that it's often misused and that's one of the major problems with it.

In your scenario, the woman thinks she has a clue but after talking to her about it, the man realizes she doesn't and explains it. That isn't "mansplaining." He's not explaining because he thinks she's ignorant due to her being female. He's explaining because she's made him aware that she doesn't understand - by talking to her, or at the very least he disagrees with her understanding of it - because he talked to her.

People misuse words incorrectly all the time. This particular word has the potential to be used incorrectly a lot. But that doesn't make any of the scenarios you've presented examples of what the word means. None of them have been what the word refers to.

The main problem with it isn't that it's often misused. It's that it's a largely fake phenomenon that feminist wackos have latched onto in order to whine and claim victim status. Women are frequently condescending to men too. The difference is that we simply go on with our lives and don't feel a need to film after school specials and public service announcements to vent our outrage.

3 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

The main problem with it isn't that it's often misused. It's that it's a largely fake phenomenon that feminist wackos have latched onto in order to whine and claim victim status. Women are frequently condescending to men too. The difference is that we simply go on with our lives and don't feel a need to film after school specials and public service announcements to vent our outrage.

Misogyny much?

• Plus1 1

If some chick doesn't understand how something works and a guy takes the time to explain it to her, why can't she simply show a little appreciation? Like do his laundry or bake him a cake or something. It seems pretty bi***y to take offense at someone trying to help.

I thought this post was intentional caricature at first. That it wasn't hopefully illustrates the point.

(Holy hell, I'm still shocked that it wasn't, and the more I read the more cringeworthy this gets. C'mon man. You're better than that)

Here's the thing: men are used to being dicks (casually, aggressively, whatever) to women without getting called out and raked over the coals for it. When it's not out of genuine disdain it's for sport. Jokes. Etc.

The natural impulse is to defend this catered-to-men, women-stay-in-your-place world when it's attacked for its plain as day failings. But maybe don't. We don't need that world.

55 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I thought this post was intentional caricature at first. That it wasn't hopefully illustrates the point.

(Holy hell, I'm still shocked that it wasn't, and the more I read the more cringeworthy this gets. C'mon man. You're better than that)

Why do you think he's better than that?